User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #856
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
No I wasn't following the sport that close then, but please answer this.

If RC raced JS now (stewarts injury taken out of the equation) and JS dusted RC (he would) the first thing people would say is that RC is older and rusty.

Works both ways. If RC wants to be known as the GOAT he needs to act like it and that starts with getting some decent looking sports jackets

If you weren't watching MX at that time then you are not qualified to make assesments on RC's abilities back in the day. Do yourself a favor and watch some RC/ JS battles. There was some good racing between the two, maybe after watching it you will appreciate why RC is called the GOAT. HE WAS AN ANIMAL.

I don't remember the location but there was a race when RC cartwheeled on a downhill, flew off the bike and was up on his feet waiting for his bike to stop tumbling so he could get back on it.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #857
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastRider View Post
If you weren't watching MX at that time then you are not qualified to make assesments on RC's abilities back in the day. Do yourself a favor and watch some RC/ JS battles. There was some good racing between the two, maybe after watching it you will appreciate why RC is called the GOAT. HE WAS AN ANIMAL.

I don't remember the location but there was a race when RC cartwheeled on a downhill, flew off the bike and was up on his feet waiting for his bike to stop tumbling so he could get back on it.

Yeah. I was watching when they were at their peak and they had some great battles.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #858
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
SX has always been Alessis's weakness. He's has always been substantially more competitive in MX. I don't even think he'll be that next-best guy. After Stewart, Dungey, RV, Reed, Barcia and Canard you are already up to 7th place and I think that will be a guy like Windham or Short (or even more likely Weimer or even Cole Seely who rode a 450 very well in a few rounds last year) before it will ever be Alessi in season ending points.

So here's my official season points picks.
1-Dungey
2-Villopoto
3-Barcia
4-Reed
5-Windham
6-Canard
7-Weimer
8-Stewart after missing 4 rounds on the season

Anyone else want to go on record for season result picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Do you remember who won Oakland last year?
No, I don't. I was there, but I have to go back and look it up. I'm thinking it was James?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetzel88 View Post
So do I. Stewart is an animal when healthy. Barcia at this point is a question mark. I like Canard a lot. Reed may be too old. Milsaps is doubtful for me. RV still looks to be the best of the lot. What your prediction or do you just wait until the end to say I told you so?
I went on record way back in post 198 of this thread. I believe I was the first to do so. See above. So far, my Windham pick for 5th is out, but Stewart in 8th still looks possible!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #859
shocker4her
When I am King

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
bring back the 2 strokes, families can't afford $20k diesels that blow up every week and a half.
+1
One BIG ASS Mistake America
shocker4her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #860
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Works both ways. If RC wants to be known as the GOAT he needs to act like it and that starts with getting some decent looking sports jackets.
You mean to tell me these velour sport jackets with zippers all over them that I bought are no longer in fashion?!?!?!? I even bought a Monster Energy pin to complete the ensemble.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #861
Nails
Ultimate nOOb

Oddometer: 18
Quote:

Why is Ricky the GOAT? There was an outdoor National MX race where it was raining and muddy. The Man was on rails. HE LAPPED THE ENTIRE FIELD! I don't think that has ever happened before or since. He freakin lapped everybody.
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #862
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Why is Ricky the GOAT? There was an outdoor National MX race where it was raining and muddy. The Man was on rails. HE LAPPED THE ENTIRE FIELD! I don't think that has ever happened before or since. He freakin lapped everybody.
Wow.. thats nutz! I saw JS finish first and 3rd before, he lapped everyone but 2nd place rider and himself.. lol.. but a first and .. haha first!!!

I don't know enough MX/SX history to know.. but there are a lot of records that are crazy.. including McGrath's 85 SX wins. And RC was crazy fast.. so far he's been the best I've ever seen race in my time watching MX/SX.

After watching closely to outdoors this past season, man I really appreciate the just hardcore racing they do. I love SX & MX.. these guys deserve more recognition in this sport.. even the non-factory racers that are out there each week giving it their all.

its all good!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #863
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,557
Bubba did a pretty good job out in the rain at Daytona last year.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #864
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Why is Ricky the GOAT? .
Why? Ricky was the only one that won from the beginning of his career until the end. Very few finishes outside of the top five ever. Maybe none?.....I wish he was as good as a color commentator.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #865
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:

I don't doubt his credentials. I think I'm more interested in the debate. If he is he is, so be it. All records fall. Ruths did. Hank Aaron's did. Even Nicklaus's record of majors might fall, but not in Woods life time.

Point being I'd prefer he was a little more humble and came out and stated the title of "GOAT" is too lofty and his achievements were made possible by everyone who collectively swung a leg over a dirt bike/dirt track/board track etc. etc. and he is just glad to be part of it. Most people who know him as the GOAT never heard of Maldwyn Jones. I'd love to see RC ride a board track bike @100mph on oily wood with no brakes. If he wants to come across as the GOAT he might want to find and old DeCoster jersey, wear it on TV, and pay homage.

I still say his advantage over JS was the age/experience. I still say JS would beat RC now.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #866
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Ward was pretty good in his day and a much better car racer.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #867
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
My daughter had this hanging on the wall in her bedroom.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #868
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Motocross has been killing itself ever since it started. They talked about it on that show 'Inside the Outdoors' in one episode. How kids need to be homeschooled since they travel so much. Parents mortgage/sell the farm to keep the kid in bikes and gear. All for the very slim chance of being on a factory team that actually pays a salary. Most riders, even in the pro classes, barely make anything. And then if you get injured? Teams can change riders like changing underwear.

Makes it very difficult to promote talent to the pro series. The series/promoters/factories need to find ways to support the amateur ranks better. It will make for a stronger series in the long run.
I totally agree. I can't tell you how many local fast guys get to a certain point in their careers and have to give it up due to the financial commitment it takes to get to the next level.

There are very few smaller companies that can afford to foot the bill for an entire season of cross country trips, practice/race bikes, mechanic wages, fuel, transport costs, etc. Most local guys get a little help from a bunch of places, but not enough to compete at the highest levels. The factories pour all their resources into a couple guys each year, maybe 3 or 4 tops. Could they spread that out to 6 or 8 guys? Would that make racing more balanced? I don't know.

The coolest thing I've seen is the Driven to Ride series from last summer. Those are local kids who worked their tails off with a shoestring budget to make all the nationals. Where did they end up? I'm sure they are both broke, in debt, and right back where they started. Even though Derek earned a national #63, there wasn't a ride for him even with a fringe privateer team. I do see him running in the LCQ's in the SX Lites this season. I don't know how he does it.

Anybody know where Shorty ended up? Did he land on K'Dub's bikes?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #869
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Anybody know where Shorty ended up? Did he land on K'Dub's bikes?
Funny you should ask.

Only privateer under a big rig awning
Hope he does well tonight.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #870
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I don't doubt his credentials. I think I'm more interested in the debate. If he is he is, so be it.

Point being I'd prefer he was a little more humble and came out and stated the title of "GOAT" is too lofty and his achievements were made possible by everyone who collectively swung a leg over a dirt bike/dirt track/board track etc. etc. and he is just glad to be part of it. Most people who know him as the GOAT never heard of Maldwyn Jones. I'd love to see RC ride a board track bike @100mph on oily wood with no brakes. If he wants to come across as the GOAT he might want to find and old DeCoster jersey, wear it on TV, and pay homage.

I still say his advantage over JS was the age/experience. I still say JS would beat RC now.
With all the other top riders bestowing him the title of GOAT, I think it is Deserved. Those who raced against him and lost to him are the best authority to call him GOAT, not us.

Saying Stewart would beat RC now doesn't make him better than RC. RC's consistency and pure domination makes him the GOAT. JS7 was at one point the Fastest Man on the Planet but isn't anymore. RC is still the GOAT.

This is a favorite video of mine

Good discussion. I cannot wait til the race tonight
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote