Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #6661
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,435
Yeah Eddie whats up with that. You get down here and just ditch the locals eh? Glad you had fun, Pannel is a handful on a small bike. You guys are just too good for us ole guys...(me).
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #6662
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Oddometer: 429
Thumb

I have to take the blame for putting these guys through Pannell on those bikes. I had ridden it once following a track from DRZ Charlie (thanks!). It was in 2011, and I rode down it on my F800GS with a couple of other guys. We didn't struggle too much, and it was a blast.

So...this past weekend I'm riding with a group of 5 and 2 guys are on Vstroms with road tires. I says, "we should hit Pannell road--it's a great dualsport road". Oops. I think my memory of rough roads is kind of like women who deliver a baby then want to get pregnant again. WTF?! I knew going up would be slightly more difficult, but my memory of Pannell wasn't that it was really that difficult--unless muddy.

So it was probably a bad idea to take those guys through there, BUT, as is usual, I'm sure it will be a highlight of the trip. Those 2 guys get new punches on their man cards for riding those bikes up Pannell. We had to pick them up a once or twice, and one rider twisted a knee (sorry!), but it did not kill us. Therefore, Pannell made us stronger!

The gang on top of Possom Creek Rd

A dam fine photo

Cover of the next BMW magazine?

We found some tacky mud on the way down in Missouri

RustyJug runs a fantastic BBQ joint up in Eldorado Springs, MO! We enjoyed his company while dining, too!

Rumor has it there will be Vstrom helmet cam of Pannell Rd in the near future! I will post a link when it is available.
Arkansas OHV Conservation Assoc.RideForum.NETAMA #1009541 ■ BlueRibbon #42185 ■ 11 BMW F800GS ■ 09 Honda CRF 50 ■ 07 KTM 450 EXC ■ 99 KTM 300 EXC

TroyWolf screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:19 AM
TroyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #6663
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Yeah Eddie whats up with that. You get down here and just ditch the locals eh? Glad you had fun, Pannel is a handful on a small bike. You guys are just too good for us ole guys...(me).
I can't speak for Eddie, and I thought about contacting some of you guys, but the problem was we were kind of making this trip up as we went. In fact, route plans and even which towns to stay in overnight changed twice during the ride. It would have been difficult to connect with somebody down there not knowing if, when, and where we'd be at any given destination.

I bet you guys got out and enjoyed some riding in that amazing weather, though!
Arkansas OHV Conservation Assoc.RideForum.NETAMA #1009541 ■ BlueRibbon #42185 ■ 11 BMW F800GS ■ 09 Honda CRF 50 ■ 07 KTM 450 EXC ■ 99 KTM 300 EXC
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #6664
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,140
Charlie, as Troy mentioned this trip was in constant flux. Originally we planned on going east out of KC but because of weather we changed the plans 12 hours before we left. Once we got to Eureka Springs the plan was to go to Hot Springs. We ended up in Fort Smith instead. Nothing went as planned after Friday.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #6665
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Thumb 2013 Winter Eagle Ride

My photos are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1149614...interEagleRide

Here is Scottie's helmet cam video riding his street-shoed, loaded Vstrom up Pannell Road!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSoSHpwMeBI

More details and photos are in this thread starting on page 5:
http://rideforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1578&start=80
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #6666
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
After completing my domestic chores Sunday morning, I replaced my countershaft sprocket and then took off around 1:30 toward the Pilot Rock area northwest of Dover. Turned north off of Jake’s Creek Rd on to a trail marked 93713D but shows up as 1826 on Google Earth and BaseCamp. This is the beginning of a climb of over 1000’ in about a mile and a half just after crossing Little Sulfur Creek.

There’s ANO’s cooling tower roughly 20 miles away with Mt. Nebo off to the right.

On one of the leveler areas there was a stretch of gooey mud that about got the better of me.

My new Dunlop 606 Camo-knobby pulled me through, though.

After the long climb the trail is pretty easy going for the next mile or so.

It comes out on Pilot Rock Rd just west of Pilot Knob. Straight across Pilot Rock Rd was my goal for the day – 93210A. I had never been down this trail so I figured this was a good time to try it. I did not make it to the end.

This is part of the area a tornado tore through a while back. I am pretty sure that wadded-up piece of metal roof came from one of the chicken houses that got hit 3.25 air miles (using Google Earth’s ruler) to the southwest. There are no other structures between here and there. The trail goes right through the middle of that mess.

I was able to go around the first tree but that put me here. Now, I have not mastered log hopping so I was not gonna be able to get over this one without some assistance. Fortunately, the uprooted tree to the right had pulled up a bunch of rocks with its roots. So I made a ramp.

Unfortunately, I missed the rock on the other side and high-centered.

However, the back tire had just enough bite to get up on the rocks and over I went to the next obstacle.

Went around the uprooted part of that one and came to two more. I was beginning to wonder how bad I wanted to see where this trail went but I decided to keep going. I made it over the base of the first tree but my windscreen would not clear the second one without laying the bike over.

I had worked up a pretty good sweat by now and it was getting late so I decided to save the rest for another day, tucked my tail and headed back to Pilot Rock Rd.

Before I got there I took a detour to this little water hole. It was like a miniature swamp. Even had a cypress tree. I figured there might be a gator in there, too, that might be looking for a mid-winter snack to hold him over until spring so I did not linger. Neat little ecosystem.

Retracing my tracks meant I had to tackle all of the downed trees again. I was not sure if my back tire or this tree was gonna catch on fire first with all the spinning I was doing but I finely made it over without smoking either one. Youtube has some good log hopping videos that make this look like a toothpick. They made me feel pretty pitiful. I have a blown down pine tree in my pasture I probably need to practice on.

I crossed Pilot Rock Rd and continued retracing my tracks on 93713D (alias 1826) toward Jakes Creek Rd.

I came to a small sign indicating an ATV trail took off to the left so I decided to check it out. It was not a very good trail at first and was very steep in places.

The trail gradually got better as I approached a logged area. It looked like they had done selective cutting here and possibly left these trees as seeders for the next generation.

The sky was cloudless and about as blue as it can get. A great day to ride.

The moon was out but this one was not near as funny to see as the one I mentioned in my last ride report.

I continued down the mountain.

Came out on Jakes Creek Rd. and then headed my trusty steed back to the barn.

bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #6667
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Thumb

Cool, bohawk! I wondered where that ATV trail off 1826 went. Here are a couple of my photos of FS1826 from spring 2012. Part had just been graded when we went through--lucky it was not wet.

I liked this little meadow that is along the way on 1826:

Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #6668
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,293
Looking for advice on places to stay...

Me and a couple buddies are doing a guys trip to Arkansas this year in May. Can't make the SLAP ride however.

We will be on dual sports and looking for a nice 3 bedroom cabin or house to rent where there is good riding. Any thoughts or advice? PMs work but I can check back in this thread as well.

Funniest truthism ever.....
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #6669
Illinois
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Awesome ride-report/ pics Bohawk thanks for sharing. You Arkies are truely blessed to have riding like that close to home.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #6670
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,293
Thanks guys!!!

For the PM responses for places to stay, you guys are awesome!!

Funniest truthism ever.....
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #6671
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,632
thats good footage! your commentary craks me up, I felt the same way " I'll just hit every fawking rock!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWolf View Post
My photos are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1149614...interEagleRide

Here is Scottie's helmet cam video riding his street-shoed, loaded Vstrom up Pannell Road!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSoSHpwMeBI

More details and photos are in this thread starting on page 5:
http://rideforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1578&start=80

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 06:40 AM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #6672
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Great report Bohawk! Looks like a lot of fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #6673
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Great reports n' pics, guys. I'm on a six day work week schedule until the end of March. With all the other stuff going on... my riding has taken it on the nose. (Other than a short ride here/there.) Your ride report "Fixes" are helping me through this!!

V-man
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #6674
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,646
NWA n00b

great ride reports.

Just changed my location from WI to NWA.

Picked up my GSA from Bob at BMW Bentonville Friday, took my first (short) NWA ride north and east out of Bentonville, ended up in MO for a bit, I could tell, because of all the liqour stores on the border.

took like 62, 90,
Ended up on the north shore of Beaver Lake, then back to 62 , just about 2 hours of riding is all.

You guys have some great pavement here, I did find a road 'KK',, I think I was in MO, reminded me of how they label county roads in WI with the double letter,

I may have to put some TKC's on and get back in the dirt a bit, maybe get a lighter dirt bike to play and get my dirt skills up..

Coming back into Rodgers I saw a Sheriff's car (looked like some kind a muscle car) with red dirt all over it. Guess they go off in the dirt too.

So, watch for a FF in dirty HiViz on a GS ADV, give me the salute if you see me. I may go out tomorrow for a short bit, my back is kinda blown from moving boxes. sux.

rboett screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 05:38 AM
rboett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #6675
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
You guys have some great pavement here, I did find a road 'KK',, I think I was in MO, reminded me of how they label county roads in WI with the double letter,
FWIW, HWY 90 from KK west to Noel is an awesome ride.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote