Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Just get a hack.
FWIW, hacks require a lot of shoulder strength to turn.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
re hab properly
I had a very bad crash about 20 years ago and really mesed up shoulder....broken arm and scapula torn tendon and ligimants . complete reconstruction. rehab was long but i continued to race dirt bikes for 10 more years .
both shoulders are worn out now and may need to have the left one fixed..... thats why im getting off the 690
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I had the right cuff done in '99, wish I had done it sooner. Shoulder is still working like it should, can even throw a ball pretty well. Doesn't bother me at all while riding. Tip: Do the rehab and PT like you mean it and keep it up. If you don't, it will not be as good as it can be, just ask a couple of my buddies.
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 380
re-hab......re-hab.........strengthtraining.........start swimming.

take a year to build it up, up to stronger than before.

medical staff don't want the liability that comes with recommending such a dangerous sport
for anyone to participate in, little own one of their patients they did expensive surgery on.

ultimately it will be up to you and the future risks you wish to take.

but let me say this, even though I gave up the racing stuff off-road and slowed way down
for the riding and touring.......I have had harder falls while road riding on my bicycle

hard crashes can result in permanent damage on a healthy joint any time, but if it has already been
surgically repaired, and the diagnosis that anything harder than a good hard bump would cause
permanent damage or worse.....I think a new hobby would be looking better and better.
DustyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
in2dabluz
ARTFUL DODGER

Oddometer: 89
Rehab will be lengthy but ABSOLUTELY necessary...and then keep on rebuilding strength forever.....

I tore the bicep and 2 rc's and was riding streets a few months later but waited 6 months b4 dirt...

But not to worry, there is 'light' down the road for ya.
'08 KLR 685 "Hi Ho Silver"
'91 XR250L "Scout"
in2dabluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,684
dont know about rotator cuff but I had a 3rd degree SLAP tear in the shoulder that bothered me for 1.5 years after initial injury, was finally able to convince the doc there was a problem and he said he'd do exploratory only to find I was 1 degree from full separation. Repaired it with anchors and rehab, I'm now riding better then I ever was, if only my knee will heal up as well (blown ACL, MCL, PCL and miniscus back in May '12)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
medical staff don't want the liability that comes with recommending such a dangerous sport
for anyone to participate in.
that is exactly what my rehab pain management psychologist said,

i could fall over walking and do the same sorta damage as riding a bike.

mind you, i had a steel fence post go through my left shoulder, 3 years on light duties at work, 2 of those off bikes, collar bone and first rib broken, rotator cuff smashed, , tendons severed, smashed arteries, caused blood clotts, smashed nerves, which surgury was required to kill them to stop pain signals, i now do physio daily at home, still..
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Gros Buck OP
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
mind you, i had a steel fence post go through my left shoulder, 3 years on light duties at work, 2 of those off bikes, collar bone and first rib broken, rotator cuff smashed, , tendons severed, smashed arteries, caused blood clotts, smashed nerves, which surgury was required to kill them to stop pain signals, i now do physio daily at home, still..
Ok That dude won't take anthing but the full package !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
re hab properly
I had a very bad crash about 20 years ago and really mesed up shoulder....broken arm and scapula torn tendon and ligimants . complete reconstruction. rehab was long but i continued to race dirt bikes for 10 more years .
both shoulders are worn out now and may need to have the left one fixed..... thats why im getting off the 690
Bobzilla. You've been out of the radar for a while ... Seriously, you got rid of the 690 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Worst pain ever. God bless you, man.
I've been married for so long pain is not an issue anymore. Thanks ...

I take note: Re-Hab. That will be good for the rest of the body anyway ... Thanks everyone for those constructive comments full of hope ...

Paul Jr
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post

Bobzilla. You've been out of the radar for a while ... Seriously, you got rid of the 690 ???

Paul Jr
look here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856865

long story but i got old somehow and want to do some other types of riding...... still got the berg when I need to scare myself
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
Gros Buck OP
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
look here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856865

long story but i got old somehow and want to do some other types of riding...... still got the berg when I need to scare myself
Ok

Another form of rupture ...

Paul Jr
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
I was sure my shoulder was wrecked,high speed water ski incidents,10 years of flattrack racing,soccer from junior high to college,trail riding since I was a small person and still do,about 8 years of re-modeling houses and I was sure it was done,hurt all the time,barely could move the one arm sometimes.

Had a girlfriend who was a deep tissue body worker,Rolphing is the technique. Very strong and very determined work by her has now made it so I cant remember which shoulder was bad,both work pretty good all things considered.
It was real painful to get that shoulder to move all the way around again,but worth it.

Rolphing breaks up old scar tissue and adhesions from injuries,I still go in for tune ups every now and then,ankles,feet,the whole body likes getting the heavy duty work.

Cant be a pussy and get Rolphing done though. Im enjoying my singletrack riding more then ever at age 55.
Still out on the Mt bike regularly.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Another shoulder story here.

I had my right shoulder re-bulit and my left shoulder with a nip and tuck. It takes about 18 months on average for a "full" recovery. Full recovery is a euphemism for as good as it's going to be.

When it was said tears heal on their own: no they don't. Surgery is the only way to repair rotator cuff tears; same as an ACL/MCL/PCL etc.

Also, swimming as a rehab is another no no. The over head motion of your arms when swimming is out. The pain and risk of more and continuing damage to the joint are not worth it. Any overhead type of work or motions will forever more be painful to a degree and risky. However, the good thing is riding does not involve overhead arm motions (not counting crashes ) and the type of muscle work involve with riding is okay and should be a good-to-go once healed up properly.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #28
Gros Buck OP
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Also, swimming as a rehab is another no no. The over head motion of your arms when swimming is out.
I figure that one already but I guess not all swimming methods are bad ... I would not start will crawl let say ... The physio I deal with have a full sheet of exercises to be performed in water later. Crawl is not in there ...

Paul Jr
Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Hell ya. What causes it in a lot of cases is bone spurs develope in the shoulder area and intiate muscle tears. Rehab is the key after surgery. Take it slow and transfer to a free weight routine when you are able. Good Luck!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,304
nah, forget about it, 'yer done for!... you need to just get rid of that KTM and give it to me.......... hehehehehe......
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote