ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #91
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I think I may have had a similar problem sometime last year. My memory is fuzzy but I think it had to do with installing the maps on the D drive on my notebook. I think when I moved the maps to the C drive, it worked.
I will accept any clues, but the new map is in the same folder as other maps that work in both Mapsource and Basecamp.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #92
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
I haven't been able to find my notes on the problem. But I did have a lot of problems getting maps installed on my notebook.

I found a good way to get more insight was to run the Windows program regedit. (Click Start and then Run)

When you navigate to the area where Garmin stuff is stored you will see a couple of different areas with installation information about the various maps.

It looks like Garmin has changed philosophy over the years about how to store this information. My old Topo 100k maps are defined under Garmin\Mapsource\Products\6,7,8,9.

Newer maps are defined under Garmin\Installed. Apparently Mapsource and BaseCamp look here to see what maps are installed and where they are.

What I have done in the past is to study the paths where the maps were installed and look for something strange.

I takes more guts than I have to change the Registry, but it did give me clues about what to try.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #93
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:

What I have done in the past is to study the paths where the maps were installed and look for something strange.
Thanks for the replies.

The problem is solved. It was pilot error.

I went back into Mapsettoolkit.exe which lets you look at some parameters of the installed map sets in addition to actually installing maps in Mapsource.

I had put the family ID in the product code place.

Mapsource didn't care, but Basecamp did.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #94
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
DualSportMaps to Basecamp

With the purchase of a Montana 600 I've just started using Base camp.

How do I get the tracks I download from Dual Sport Maps.com to show up in Base camp ?

They open fine in Map Source.

Is it true that Map Source does not work on the Montana ?

Max
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #95
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
You have to "Import" them from the location to which you saved them.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #96
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
With the purchase of a Montana 600 I've just started using Base camp.

How do I get the tracks I download from Dual Sport Maps.com to show up in Base camp ?

They open fine in Map Source.

Is it true that Map Source does not work on the Montana ?

Max
I haven't had a lot of luck working directly with the Montana from Mapsource. The Send to and Receive From GPS device tools just don't seem to work anything like they did with my 60cx and other units.

To read from the Montana I find I have to look for the appropriate gpx files on the unit and open them.

I have not been succesful in sending tracks/waypoints/routes to the Montana from Mapsource. But there are many different configurations on the Montana, and I haven't tried them all (disc mode, nondisc mode, pluse various interface options I don't understand.)

It is really easy to send ride information to the unit in Basecamp, so that is what I use now.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #97
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
The Send to and Receive From GPS device tools just don't seem to work anything like they did with my 60cx and other units. .
At my last ride, I had a couple 78s and and I think a Montana. No trouble sending tracks and waypoints with Mapsource. As I posted in 62-78 thread, there seems to have been an upgrade.

A couple years ago I sent tracks to 78 and it put them in temp.gpx file. If you sent more it would erase first one and make new one (like sending maps to 60/76).

Now it put the tracks in a .gpx file with the date/time as the file name.

However with all of the new generation, you don't need Mapsource or Basecamp, you just use MS Explore and copy the .gpx files from PC to GPS as an external memory.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #98
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
At my last ride, I had a couple 78s and and I think a Montana. No trouble sending tracks and waypoints with Mapsource. As I posted in 62-78 thread, there seems to have been an upgrade.

Do you happen to remember how you had the Montana configured - disc/non disc, spanner/serial, etc?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #99
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Mapsource info to Basecamp

How can I transfer the saved routes, tracks, poi and waypoints I've accumulated in Mapsource into Basecamp.

I still can;t figure out how to download tracks directly from Dualsportmaps.com to Basecamp.
It's so simple to download them into mapsource.

Thanks, Max
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #100
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
How can I transfer the saved routes, tracks, poi and waypoints I've accumulated in Mapsource into Basecamp.

I still can;t figure out how to download tracks directly from Dualsportmaps.com to Basecamp.
It's so simple to download them into mapsource.

Thanks, Max
You simply use the import function on all your saved files that you've created with Mapasource.

Any file you have saved on your computer that you've saved from websites you also just need to import them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #101
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You simply use the import function on all your saved files that you've created with Mapasource.

Any file you have saved on your computer that you've saved from websites you also just need to import them.
Using the 'Import' function in Basecamp is one way to do it. Each individual *.gpx file will show up as a single list under 'My Collection'. The list will take the name of the file imported.

You can also drag and drop *.gpx files into BC as well, even whole folders containing multiple *gpx files. Just select the file or folder and drag it to 'My Collection' and a window will pop up saying BC is importing files. Don't try to move ALL your files at once. You might structure your *.gpx files by theme or by state. The ways to do it are endless.

When you import a *.gpx file into BC and make any changes to it by adding waypoints, tracks or routes and you want to save those changes back to that imported file, you use 'Export'. 'Export' will write the data to an external file.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 07:11 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #102
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumbs down Lack of road details in Basecamp Mac versus PC version.

I'm having trouble viewing smaller backroads and dirt tracks on the Mac BC versus the PC version.
On the PC version I can easily zoom out to 7km range and still see the smaller dirt roads I seek.
On the Mac version these details vanish if I zoom above 1,5 km view range.

Map is latest City Navigator Europe 2013.10 NT for Zumo 550 and Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS units.

How can I correct this Mac Basecamp zoom issue? I use a Macbook Air 11" for motorcycle touring and would love to see BC operate as well there for smaller backroads/dirt roads planning. It's not any good for my planning purposes when smaller roads vanish beyond 1,5km zoom range.

Have I missed some clever menu adjustment here? Detail levels are set to max for both 3d an 2d maps.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #103
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
I'm having trouble viewing smaller backroads and dirt tracks on the Mac BC versus the PC version.
On the PC version I can easily zoom out to 7km range and still see the smaller dirt roads I seek.
On the Mac version these details vanish if I zoom above 1,5 km view range.

Map is latest City Navigator Europe 2013.10 NT for Zumo 550 and Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS units.

How can I correct this Mac Basecamp zoom issue? I use a Macbook Air 11" for motorcycle touring and would love to see BC operate as well there for smaller backroads/dirt roads planning. It's not any good for my planning purposes when smaller roads vanish beyond 1,5km zoom range.

Have I missed some clever menu adjustment here? Detail levels are set to max for both 3d an 2d maps.
Do you have the proper map selected from the drop down menu from the top of the screen?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #104
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Do you happen to remember how you had the Montana configured - disc/non disc, spanner/serial, etc?
Sorry for delay.
Short answer, I think no. Just plugged in and used MapSource download Icon. At least on 62/78, GPS created a new gpx file with date as name with the tracks.

Actually I think better way is to not use MapSource to talk to new generation GPS just use MS Explor and copy gpx files in and out.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #105
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Do you have the proper map selected from the drop down menu from the top of the screen?
Yup. The City Navigator Europe 2013.10 2D ( not 3D).
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote