Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #9841
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i dont know the conversion but thats still a lot of miles, isnt it around 100,000 miles?
Good one

Seriously !
1 mile is 1609meters or 1,609km if you will

or just google "145000km in miles" (90 098,8 miles)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #9842
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Good one

Seriously !
1 mile is 1609meters or 1,609km if you will

or just google "145000km in miles" (90 098,8 miles)
Im too lazy to check that stuff lol!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #9843
Baams
n00bs FTW

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
well chrome makes life easy for us hard workers :P the adress bar makes the calc, you don't even have to search
Baams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #9844
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
I bet it actually took you longer to write that you didn't know the conversion than to google it
We're sporting -25C here (google it in F....) so the panels are just sitting on a shelf, but believe you me as soon as it warms up they'll receive a nice coat of candy apple red..... or something completely different

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #9845
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
I really hate that you guys are such Metric Majors! Them's just big numbers to me!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #9846
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
I bet it actually took you longer to write that you didn't know the conversion than to google it
We're sporting -25C here (google it in F....) so the panels are just sitting on a shelf, but believe you me as soon as it warms up they'll receive a nice coat of candy apple red..... or something completely different
cant wait to see them painted up!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #9847
JoeSport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My "New" Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSport View Post

Has anyone seen an '05 Dakar that looks like this coming of the showroom floor? I am considering buying it, but I think it might have been dropped and the plastic replaced? Thanks -
Well I went ahead and bought this '05 with 12K mi today!!! I took this in for a safety inspection this morning and most everything checked out despite my concerns from the custom plastics/paint job:

There is an oil leak coming from either the shift shaft seal or oil pipe. Has anyone had a problem with this at 12,000 miles? I also need to replace the chain, links and sprocket. Any recommendations for long lasting replacements?

Looking forward to a long relationship with the Dakar! Next upgrades are a good luggage system. I wish I didn't need lockable luggage, but I live in the city... I was thinking of going with the Happy Trail Teton system. Any thoughts? I was told to check out links to Vendors on this site as well so I'll head there next.

Thanks in advance for any advice from seasoned BMW/Dakar owners!

Go NINERS!!
JoeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #9848
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Well I went ahead and bought this '05 with 12K mi today!!! I took this in for a safety inspection this morning and most everything checked out despite my concerns from the custom plastics/paint job:

There is an oil leak coming from either the shift shaft seal or oil pipe. Has anyone had a problem with this at 12,000 miles? I also need to replace the chain, links and sprocket. Any recommendations for long lasting replacements?

Looking forward to a long relationship with the Dakar! Next upgrades are a good luggage system. I wish I didn't need lockable luggage, but I live in the city... I was thinking of going with the Happy Trail Teton system. Any thoughts? I was told to check out links to Vendors on this site as well so I'll head there next.

Go NINERS!!
Great Decision :)

As for the Oil leak, it's the shaft seal. I have the same issue with mine since I bought it with ~ 12k miles. I already got a new seal, but didnt change it, yet. Not too uncommon issue, however the seal just costs a few bucks, anyways.
Take a look here: http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthr....-F650GS-2000&

As for the Chain/sprockets, go for a RK or DID Chain, either O-Ring (good) or X-Ring (better) type and jsut egt normal steel sprockets, they are cheap and last long. I am running JT Sprockets and a DID VX2 X-Ring chain atm.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #9849
JoeSport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Great Decision :)

As for the Oil leak, it's the shaft seal. I have the same issue with mine since I bought it with ~ 12k miles. I already got a new seal, but didnt change it, yet. Not too uncommon issue, however the seal just costs a few bucks, anyways.
Take a look here: http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthr....-F650GS-2000&

As for the Chain/sprockets, go for a RK or DID Chain, either O-Ring (good) or X-Ring (better) type and jsut egt normal steel sprockets, they are cheap and last long. I am running JT Sprockets and a DID VX2 X-Ring chain atm.
Thanks for the tip! Also, it feels a little sluggish coming off the line. The only thing I have to compare this Dakar with is my old XR600 and my Dad's Royal Enfield. The top end speed is fine however, I had plenty of power in the higer RPM's and higher gears when on the freeway. It's due for a valve adjustment, will that help out at all or do I have to get used to a bike with less "Blap" than my XR?
JoeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #9850
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:

At about that mileage i had a major oil leak on my first big winter trip. The shop took it in under warranty and said it was the shift shaft seal or the head gasket leaking, not sure which. They replaced both but it has continued to blow out oil every winter for some unknown reason. It doesn't seem to do anything except get my pants dirty and protect the engine from salt related corrosion, so i've decided to live with it.

I'd go with at least an x-ring chain, i put an o-ring on last time and mileage has noticeably dropped and i will have to replace it sooner i'm told.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #9851
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
I also need to replace the chain, links and sprocket. Any recommendations for long lasting replacements?
I've averaged 25K miles on stock BMW steel sprockets and DID Gold X-ring chains on my Dakar. In fact, the chains are still okay when the countershaft sprocket gets too hooked to run. This was lubing the chains with the old Teflon dry lubricant every other gas fill up (about 400 miles). Now that they've changed the formula I'm not sure I'll get the same service from my current chain.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #9852
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've averaged 25K miles on stock BMW steel sprockets and DID Gold X-ring chains on my Dakar. In fact, the chains are still okay when the countershaft sprocket gets too hooked to run. This was lubing the chains with the old Teflon dry lubricant every other gas fill up (about 400 miles). Now that they've changed the formula I'm not sure I'll get the same service from my current chain.
That's insane milage

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #9853
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:

Go NINERS!!
I've not had the shifter shaft seal leak, but I've had the drainplug form the oiltank suddenly start leaking middle of the season. Also have trouble with crankcase vent hose being loose and leaking up at the airbox and the oiltank screw to the airbox not being possible to fasten properly. Just wife clean and ride it and you'll see where the oil originates.

As for luggage; do you need luggage in the city ? What are you carrying ?
If you carry a laptop, suitjacket, black shoes and stuff running around town for business all day I can see the need (if that was the case I would proobably not choose to take the bike myself).

If you only bring, like me, a pair of reading glasses, a pair of thin/ thick gloves (depending on what I'm wearing) and your wallet it'd be parked with empty luggage anyway, so no need for a lock (which is why I ride with a small backpack instead of luggage on a daily basis.

You need for luggage may ofcourse be something utterly different

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #9854
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
We're sporting -25C here (google it in F....)
That converts to WAY TOO F'ING COLD!!! Ha ha.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #9855
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Damn, not bad!

We didn't get above zero Fahrenheit for a couple days this week here in Wisconsin . I think we're out of the woods for now.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote