Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #3016
stemic01
Steve Royset

Oddometer: 84
Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck B View Post
Indeed, amazing, the IRAN especially, but also the inquisitive and challenging nature of the rider. Ive done quite a few km offroad in Indonesia and Madagascar, and these little beasts are quite capable, they bring you anywhere... if youre not too much in a hurry. Road cruising 80 km/h.
Many countries, not only Russia, give good lessons of life.
Iran was very nice and if you are in the area you should pay it a visit. Very friendly people and many nice places and areas to visit. I had absolutely no problems except for language problems. Reading signs and a menu can be problems. In cities and tourist places you'll find people who speak english. Hand language is international and you will learn to master it well :)
I'll post some photos from Iran, but are thinking of making an own thread too avoid messing up this thread. People are very friendly and as long as you threat people with respect and don't being stupid you will have a great time in Iran. I tried to avoid discussing religion, politics and women rights there.
- STRONGLY BELIEVE IN A LIFE BEFORE DEATH-
stemic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #3017
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 732
In the beach pic, the lady laying nearest the rock face seems to have lost something before her nap!
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3018
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
Since 'piping in' is acceptable I have to say this report is tremendously addictive, and it hasn't even reached the BAM road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
Please disregard if this is too much of a hijack, but in this fellow's India post he talks about getting hassled by the locals when he stopped at the scene of an accident and reflects that "If you witness an accident in a country that isn't European or doesn't speak English......don't stop, just keep on riding, it's more trouble than it's worth."

Curious what all you other worldly travelers think about that...
Not a RTW traveler, but can say in the 6 countries I've been riding these past few years, the foreigner can/may be blamed, with or with out cause, simply as it's perceived your the one with the deepest pockets. I covered a lot of miles in northern Thailand, and witnessed too many accidents, and as I carry good first aid kit, stopped often to offer assistance at accident scenes never once being assumed at fault(?). Thou I was soured on this in India years ago on a group bicycle tour; I'd stopped to assist a elderly local with a flat tire, as I was prepared and kitted for this, and a couple of toughs in the large gathering mob fingered me as at fault. My intentions were to help but I found myself surrounded by a mob of maybe 30+ angry people demanding I pay an amount likely equivalent needed buy a new bicycle. And I did feel very threatened, and have at other times when in a group ride where one of our group losses their temper at being blamed (Not A Good Idea) for a minor vehicle collision. Twice in that situation in SE Asia the locals quickly brought out the guns and the threat level went through the roof.

Can't wait for the BAM
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #3019
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Sorry for being so quiet for a few days. Sometimes a man has to work. I work in northern Norway and the weather has been pretty shait the last week. Here is a little link of what we do up north.

EC225 Bristow Norway SAR Operations Hammerfest from EtronX on Vimeo.

If you ever come to Canada for SAR training, odds are it'll be at Trenton, main home for our SAR folks. I just retired from that base, drop me a line and we'll take care of you. I think you are familiar with the two bikes I can loan you, a gsa and a dr350.

Drif10 screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 09:57 AM
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #3020
Nomadix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I can absolutely vouch for Iran being one of the safest, most interesting, friendliest and most hospitable place to visit. I do regular trips all over the country (not on a bike unfortunately), and am always amazed at how different it is as nation and a people, to what we are encouraged by western media to believe. One of the big misconceptions is that Iranians are on the whole, staunchly conservative Muslims. The reality is that they are a remarkably progressive and well educated lot, who just want to get on with life in spite of their government.

Never ever judge a nation by its politicians. My own country would be one of the most disgusting places on Earth if we were to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 View Post
The adventure trip of my dreams, Iran! The stories Ive red tells me I have to go there.

And thank you everyone for writing this RR. Been reading it for weeks and you have all set a new standard for all future RR. Its better written than a lot of books. Makes me want to fulfill my dreams.

Stefan
Nomadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #3021
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Guys. About Baikal...did anyone get a swim or is it feckin' freezing?.

Yes and no.
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #3022
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 977
off topic

I don't mean to get off topic with crash bars and bike building and batteries, BUUUUT, lets back up a little and find out more about the blonde at the cafe. Surely someone in the group noticed the talent, stepped up and visited with her, took more pictures as is required

If not, I say "girrlie boys"

Hey guys, to all involved with this rr, great job. This is epic! It is rr's like this that inspire, enable, and push us all into thoughts of wider worldly travel to places most think are unreachable or unachievable.

Also, thanks for your patience with our stupid ass remarks about stupid little shit that seems important to us. Its just a little way we all think we get involved with your ride.
That, and, well, I know all there is to know about everything so shut up and listen!!!

Great RR. keep it coming, don't really know what I'll do once you get to the end.

Monte
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #3023
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post

Yes and no.
Well said Terry!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #3024
Pamirski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi Walter

just incidentally bumped on this thread via google last night, although not planing another trip to Siberia this year (though your pictures are tempting), but just finishing last summers travel report.
Thank you for sharing this amazing adventure. Your old reports motivated me for doing the western BAM and Tuva-Track.
We were just some days before you in Altai (after last year beeing mainly on the M52, we entered via boat on the Teletskoe) and met Adrian the day he crossed the frontier, while we were on the way to the Ukok (there are still some unchartered waters in Altai, you find mainly russian fishers in this part, but it's border zone).
I was really astonished, when 6 weeks later I saw an European style motorcycle standing in front of a hotel in Yakutsk and the plate was a Romanian one. This ended in a nice and late evening with you guys.
Looking forward to your upper Lena valley and BAM pictures.

Christian
Pamirski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #3025
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post

Yes and no.
We got pictures

Might not be the pictures you are waiting for, but we had stuff dangling around...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #3026
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
If you ever come to Canada for SAR training, odds are it'll be at Trenton, main home for our SAR folks. I just retired from that base, drop me a line and we'll take care of you. I think you are familiar with the two bikes I can loan you, a gsa and a dr350.
Thank you Drif10 I might just take you up on that
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3027
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Oh! I thought you gone to answer to the PM for riding in the back of a Bongo truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
GS. I've kept quiet for all the mocking and abuse but Politician's an insult too far. How dare you, Sir! The very thought.

I'm a Programme Manager..my team had just installed an IT network into the Treasury and George (who lives next door and for the benefit of the Colonials amongst us is the national bean counter) couldn't connect-so we had to instal there too. There's a school of thought that it wouldn't have made any feckin' difference but who am I to comment...
We should maybe just given the pillock a multi coloured plastic kiddie-keyboard and told him it was connected up.

We needed to send one of my Project Manager team over with some techies to have a look and I thought.." If anyone's going to number 10 it's me"...after all, when will this small town Jock without a qualification to his name ever get through the door again.
As we approached the door there was a guy polishing it, and he saw us coming and slammed the door. "Charming" I thought, but then realised he'd done it as like every other drongo who enters, he knew I wanted a pic in front of That Door.

Politicians are always filmed walking towards the door with that "I'm on business of the Nation" walk so I thought feck it...I'll have some of that too!

Sorry its a bit grainy but my techie taking the pic was pissing himself as a copper with a submachine gun was giving me the daggers.
DC was out.

I wonder what kind of cocktails are available from these wankers!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3028
WJW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
RIDE REPORT!!
I want more!!
you guys are killing me.
Please, Please get to the RIDE REPORT

And thank you for everything you have done up to this point,
WJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #3029
Rossb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Lets get the RR going again
Rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #3030
Pamirski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
We got pictures

Might not be the pictures you are waiting for, but we had stuff dangling around...
The teaser revealed it?

Severobaikalsk or Olchon?
Olchon has nice beaches,
but as for the stones, I assume it is between Severobaikalsk and Nishneangarsk
Pamirski is offline   Reply With Quote