buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Low energy material?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #572
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,081
It probably has something to do with the fact that glass is actually a "super-cooled liquid"?

It VERY SLOWLY flows. Look at a very old pane of glass- it is thicker at the bottom than at the top.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #573
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
It probably has something to do with the fact that glass is actually a "super-cooled liquid"?

It VERY SLOWLY flows. Look at a very old pane of glass- it is thicker at the bottom than at the top.
Ding Ding Ding!!!! Circle gets the square!

Glass is actually a liquid. Liquids are tough to bond.

If you ever go into very old houses-the kind that still have wavy glass that has it's original window caulking, more often than not the caulking near the bottom of the pane has been busted out, while the caulking at the top is still in good shape. This happens because the glass settles or sags over long periods of time.

Dirty
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #574
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,942
#39 pages so far.......

It would save us all a lot of trouble if there was a chart somewhere that listed ALL the products (gasket sealers, thread lockers, gasket eliminators) and explained in PLAIN ENGLISH exactly what they are to be used for and where they shouldn't be used. How to apply them and how to remove them. I think that just posting a chart like this would improve sales immensly.

We want details.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #575
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Ding Ding Ding!!!! Circle gets the square!

Glass is actually a liquid. Liquids are tough to bond.

If you ever go into very old houses-the kind that still have wavy glass that has it's original window caulking, more often than not the caulking near the bottom of the pane has been busted out, while the caulking at the top is still in good shape. This happens because the glass settles or sags over long periods of time.

Dirty
You shouldn't repeat that myth, been debunked many times over. Lower caulking gets damaged from condensation dripping down and swelling the wood at the bottom of the pane. Much worse when it freezes then thaw. I have restored enough of them old wavy panes windows, some close to a hundred years old to know.

Couple hundreds of them old panes in my little house and there will be many more when I close in the back porch with them old cedar framed school windows I have to restore someday.

Flowing glass maybe but.....:

Viscosity depends on the chemical composition of the glass. Even germanium oxide glass, which flows more easily than other types, would take 10^32 years (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) to sag. Zanotto calculates. Medieval stained glass contains impurities that could lower the viscosity and speed the flow, but even a significant reduction wouldn't alter the conclusion, he remarks, since the age of the universe is only 10^10 (100,000,000,00).

From there and there are many others:

http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #576
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Bonding cloth to polypropylene

I need to bond some cloth, cotton I think, to some coroplast (sp?) which is the corrugated polypropylene sheet material used in political lawn signs.

This will be for use inside a van.

The sheets will be 1 ft. X 4 ft. and there will be three of them.

I'd like to use a spray-on adhesive if possible and hopefully be able to buy it at Menards, Home Depot etc.

I would like product suggestions and if known what the coverage per container will be.

I looked in the Loctite consumer product selector but didn't find info on specific materials.

TIA for any suggestions.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #577
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Any contact adhesive should be good.
Spray on both surfaces, let dry, press together...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #578
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
+1 on NordieBoy. 3M Super 77 or equivalent will work wonders. Once it sets up... its gonna be there for a while.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #579
Kannonball8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Shelf Life?

Does Locktite 242 have a shelf life? I have several small bottles in the shop that may be as much as 10 to 15 years old. The contents are still liquid and look the same as new 242, but will it still work as well? (hope this hasn't been covered already - couldn't find topic in search.)
Thanks,
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #580
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
You shouldn't repeat that myth, been debunked many times over. Lower caulking gets damaged from condensation dripping down and swelling the wood at the bottom of the pane. Much worse when it freezes then thaw. I have restored enough of them old wavy panes windows, some close to a hundred years old to know.

Couple hundreds of them old panes in my little house and there will be many more when I close in the back porch with them old cedar framed school windows I have to restore someday.

Flowing glass maybe but.....:

Viscosity depends on the chemical composition of the glass. Even germanium oxide glass, which flows more easily than other types, would take 10^32 years (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) to sag. Zanotto calculates. Medieval stained glass contains impurities that could lower the viscosity and speed the flow, but even a significant reduction wouldn't alter the conclusion, he remarks, since the age of the universe is only 10^10 (100,000,000,00).

From there and there are many others:

http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

if so explain the glass windows in europe

thin at the top

thick at the bottom

not like me i'm thick from top to bottom

lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #581
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
if so explain the glass windows in europe

thin at the top

thick at the bottom

not like me i'm thick from top to bottom

lol
Hand poured glass panes are thicker on one end than the other due to uneven cooling as the glass is poured. Modern glass is made in an entirely different way so that is is of uniform thickness. http://chemistry.about.com/od/matter...Or-A-Solid.htm

I am constantly amazed at how myths get propagated when actual facts are so easy to find. Seriously.....less than 10 minutes of searching yielded dozens of papers on the physical, and chemical properties of glass. Amorphous solids rule!

As for why it's difficult to "glue" glass.......there are very strong covalent bonds between the silicon and oxygen in the glass. What that amounts to is there are very few free electrons for anything else to bond to, so chemical bonding is difficult. Physical bonding is difficult for the reasons previously stated...the relative smoothness of the surface.

k-moe screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 12:33 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #582
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Hand poured glass panes are thicker on one end than the other due to uneven cooling as the glass is poured. Modern glass is made in an entirely different way so that is is of uniform thickness. http://chemistry.about.com/od/matter...Or-A-Solid.htm

I am constantly amazed at how myths get propagated when actual facts are so easy to find. Seriously.....less than 10 minutes of searching yielded dozens of papers on the physical, and chemical properties of glass. Amorphous solids rule!

As for why it's difficult to "glue" glass.......there are very strong covalent bonds between the silicon and oxygen in the glass. What that amounts to is there are very few free electrons for anything else to bond to, so chemical bonding is difficult. Physical bonding is difficult for the reasons previously stated...the relative smoothness of the surface.
ok

but why all thick on the bottoms of the windows

i'll ask my sister

chief material for nasa

ur spoiling what i thought was a fact

live and learn

cheers
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #583
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,924
One more comment on flowing glass

If glass flowed it would be impossible to make accurate optics and things like telescopes and camera lenses would quickly become useless. Good optics are precise to almost atomic dimensions and will hold that precision for years.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #584
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
If glass flowed it would be impossible to make accurate optics and things like telescopes and camera lenses would quickly become useless. Good optics are precise to almost atomic dimensions and will hold that precision for years.

quote from sister at nasa

''Glass is technically a liquid. However the time to flow so you could see it is very long. Early glass makers did not have the float glass system and so making flat glass was tricky. It was naturally uneven. It would be natural to put the thick part at the bottom.
Glass does not have long range order,I.e. the atoms are not arranged regularly to make a crystal structure.''

well that explains that urban legend

cheers
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #585
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
recommended loctite retaining compound for o.d. of seals with nitrile coating? seal surface is good, seal went in tight. it still likes to push itself out after a few hours of hard running......
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote