Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #15826
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'm not against a good pull start though, tie the rope to the pull vehicle and wrap it around the rh footpeg once with the end coming up to your hand on the bars (with enough slack to allow for turning the bars and using the throttle). Use pressure with your rh foot to keep it secured to the "pulled" bike, if anything goes wrong release the end in your hand and lift your foot, it will come right off. Use 3rd or 4th and let the clutch out easy at about 20mph.
Great tip. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #15827
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
suspension work costs??

I have been reading all of this thread. I'm up to page 527 and have learned a lot so thanks to all. one thing i am going to do is suspension work. I don't know yet how extensive its going to get. I think the bike is a little under sprung for me at 215 lbs plus riding gear tools etc. it will depend on costs so if you have an idea (ballpark) of some of the costs let me know:

do the work myself
new springs front and rear
new valves for forks

take everything in to reputable shop and have them do the work.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #15828
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Walker-find the old Borynack files on xrr suspension.There is 1 file for the front and 1 for the back shock.Rumor has it that the shim stacks were copied from a suspension prepped by precision concepts baja racer.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #15829
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Its possible to shear the woodruff key and throw the timing way off. Bought a bike with this problem.

For some reason to me it sounds like the ignition timing is off since it is back firing. I'm not sure but I think the piggy is a lost spark system ( fires every revolution) so i don't think it is possible to time the engine 360degrees off.

Have you pulled the stator cover off? To check the stator, I would check for continuity between the stator windings, disconnect all the wires. Green and White/yellow stripe, then check the same wires to a frame ground. These are your power leads for headlight tail light. Next do the same thing with the Brown and Black/red stripe. These are your power for the CDI and coil. There should be continuity between the wires but not to ground. Do the same with Blue/ yellow strip and the Green/ white stripe. These are your pickup, once again you should have continuity between the wires but not to ground.

I think form the sounds of it the stator is good though. I would definately look more into ignition timing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
Responses in red. I guess checking the coil pickup is my next step.

I'll try a pull start when it warms up outside.

Thanks!

Yep the gas is on. I did that once with my xr600r I owned before this bike. I rode this bike daily for a year or two and never had an issue starting it. I'm assuming my kicking technique and general pre-start voodoo dance is correct.

Thanks for the ideas!

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #15830
Adamco2
Part time adventurer

Oddometer: 127
"new" XRR

Picked up my first XRR a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of cleaning it up and fixing anything I find that needs attention. I took it out to my local OHV park and spent the day getting used to it and figuring out what needed to be done right away. The thing fired right up and ran straight and strong. I was very impressed with the power and stability.
I am going to start from the front and work my way back. I have pulled the front end apart and plan to:
1. Change the fork oil
2. Grease the steering head bearings
3. Cleaning up the seals and bearings on the front wheel.
4. New throttle cables are on order from Motion Pro and I will probably order brake and clutch/decomp cables as well.
5. New gaskets and hoses for the carb (it is leaking a little.)
6. Upgrade the seat.
7. Pull the rear shock and swing arm for cleaning and grease.
8. Clean the rear wheel seals and bearings.

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Northern Nevada this spring and would like to make the most reliable bike I can for the trip. Any other suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
 photo IMG_1387_zps584a0eb1.jpg
Adamco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #15831
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrtrippin View Post
I'm not sure but I think the piggy is a lost spark system ( fires every revolution) so i don't think it is possible to time the engine 360degrees off.
Quick to check though, and worthwile if you got the bike from somebody that is not an experianced mech
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #15832
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Picked up my first XRR a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of cleaning it up and fixing anything I find that needs attention. Any other suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Fix the right foot peg. If you ride at night, dump the stock light and go HID.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #15833
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
Any other ideas?
Just a hunch Allan, 'false air' - go check the head2manifold & manifold2carb connections, plus that one screw/bolt on top of the head? If it leaks air somewhere here then you know it'll be a bastid to start, and won't like to idle then too. I'd check this before you dig in deep again, causes often are simple things.
Goodluck!

Edit: also, if std carb then plug (with a tiny drop of epoxy or silicone) the small hole in the carb's small lhs-cover under which a membrane sits. You need to do this anyway to stop leaning-off on overrun, but this 'fix' also gives you peave of mind if ever that membrane tears.

BuRPsa screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:06 AM
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #15834
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Picked up my first XRR a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of cleaning it up and fixing anything I find that needs attention. Any other suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Fix the right foot peg. If you ride at night, dump the stock light and go HID.
Strip it to the frame and engine. Check the clutch bushing, check the timing chain, camshaft, tappets and the valve ends.
Wash everything and put it back togeder with lots of grease.
Get yourself a beer-buddy with extensive knowledge of the piggy, get a lot of beer and knock yourself out . I do this two times every year.

This was my first guide: http://www.xr650r.us/issues/

achile screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:49 AM
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #15835
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrtrippin View Post
Its possible to shear the woodruff key and throw the timing way off. Bought a bike with this problem.

For some reason to me it sounds like the ignition timing is off since it is back firing. I'm not sure but I think the piggy is a lost spark system ( fires every revolution) so i don't think it is possible to time the engine 360degrees off.

Yip, spark every revolution - anyone with a Trailtech computer should know this.

I also was thinking about 'off timing', although a bit unlikely I think. The XRR fires (on kicking) at precisely TDC, the CDI starts to advance at crank speeds higher than by kicking it round.
"Too early" (before TDC) would cause kickbacks causing the decomp to act. Snorting into the exhaust, plus maybe coughing back into the airbox. If no decomp-system present (non-std cam but for the genuine HRC) then it might break a leg/foot, but notice you fooken will!
"Too late" would cause normal starting & running but just a bit lousy, unless of course when it is heaps off the mark.

Off-timing could be caused either by a worn/damaged key-match, or the trailing edge of the welded-on plate (rectangular protrusion) on the rotor/flywheel is damaged. Both not common problems - but maybe worth checking if Ist got it off anyway?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #15836
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,440
what's the distance on the OEM oil dipstick from the bottom of the threads to the "HIgh" oil level, maybe the "LOW" oil level too? My XR-R came with an oil sight tube, I don't have the original dipstick so I'm not sure where the oil should be in the tube? I thought I'd put a couple marks on the frame for when I forget a couple years from now.

My XR with the new 19" I built (I have a "like new" OEM 21 rim and spokes if anyone needs it)

PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #15837
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
what's the distance on the OEM oil dipstick from the bottom of the threads to the "HIgh" oil level, maybe the "LOW" oil level too? My XR-R came with an oil sight tube, I don't have the original dipstick so I'm not sure where the oil should be in the tube? I thought I'd put a couple marks on the frame for when I forget a couple years from now.

My XR with the new 19" I built (I have a "like new" OEM 21 rim and spokes if anyone needs it)

Here is a pic for you. Hi and low marks are black ink marked on the steel oil return tube next to the clear sight tube.These correspond to the marks on the dipstick.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #15838
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
I also was thinking about 'off timing'...

And I was thinking I'll send my bony to you for it's next pre-big trip check over..

Learning a lot here, thanks "Bart-bek"
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #15839
Adamco2
Part time adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks Kiko- The footpeg has already been done and I'm hoping to be able to afford an 8" light before June.

Achile- I'm hoping to have the time for a complete disassembly. What am I looking for with the cam chain? Is it stretch? How do you tell?

Thanks,

Adam
Adamco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #15840
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
My XR with the new 19" I built

Very nice clean xrr you have there
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)