IMS Petcock. Should I put on the stock?
Perhaps by open throttle I mean open choke? That sounds more correct
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #73217
crazy88
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Gas Tank Blues

Oh, and vent gas cap tube is fully blow-throughable. Fuel is about 2 gallons.
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #73218
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Full throttle means maximum acceleration.
To throttle means (from Webster's):

a (1) : to compress the throat of : choke (2) : to kill by such action
b : to prevent or check expression or activity of : suppress
throttle creativity>
a : to decrease the flow of (as steam or fuel to an engine) by a valve
b : to regulate and especially to reduce the speed of (as an engine) by such means
c : to vary the thrust of (a rocket engine) during flight

intransitive verb
: to throttle something (as an engine) —usually used with back or down throttled back

Therefore full throttle means that the throttle is fully closed. I recommend the use of the phrase "wide open throttle" to indicate that the throttle is open 100% of the way. Similarly saying "1/4 throttle" (for example) means that the throttle is open 3/4 of the way, so a more proper way to say that the throttle is open 25% of the way would be to say "1/4 opening". The only time this makes no difference is with 50% opening, where it obviously doesn't matter whether you say "1/2 throttle" or "1/2 opening".

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 10:18 PM
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #73219
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
IMS Petcock. Should I put on the stock?
Perhaps by open throttle I mean open choke? That sounds more correct
The IMS petcock is fine. It sounds like the bike is surely starving for fuel.

As long as the bike was running fine prior to your IMS tank installation, there are only a few things to look at:

1. Make sure the fuel line from the tank to the carb is not kinked.
2. There is a tiny filter in the carb inlet (carb side of fuel line) that might be clogged.
3. Make sure the petcock is in "reserve" or "on". I think the directions are different than the stock petcock.
4. There might be vapor lock in the fuel line. (An air bubble if it has a high area).
5. There was a vacuum line going from the stock tank's petcock to the carb. The nipple on the carb where it attached needs to be capped.
6. Put more fuel in the tank?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #73220
wizdum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
RM / DR650 Foot peg Interchangeability.

Anyone know if the RM/RMZ foot pegs fit the DR650? If so, what years?
2005 DR650>>>1978 SP370>>>2006 KX450F >>>1989 KX500>>>1987 Husky CR430>>>1981 Husky CR430>>>1982 KX250>>>1977 KE175B3>>>1975 Suzuki TS 75 Colt>>>1974 Kawasaki 90>>>197? Honda MR50>>>19?? Indian Mini Mini
wizdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #73221
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
So I'm attempting the beginning maintenance on my DR, and I managed to change the handlebars successfully, so go me. Although I did undo things that didn't need undoing, like the clutch and the box next to the throttle...whatevs, it still ran fine after than particular mod.

Yesterday I tackled the gas tank, and put an IMS on it. After much frustration, I found I could only' keep the thing running when the vent line from the gas cap to the ? was not on it at all, otherwise it would die as if it ran out of gas. I figured, ok, I can deal w/ this temporarily in the winter before finding a better system, and it ran fine on the round-the neighborhood test drive I took it on.

Fast forward to this morning, and I can't get the thing to stay running. It starts fine, idles ok (seems to idle fine only when throttle is fully open), and then I take it as far as the end of the driveway before it stalls out. Generally in first gear, as soon as I try to get it to move further, it just dies. There's gas in it, the tube from the petcock to whatever is 4 inches to the right of the petcock seems clamped on fine, no leakage or anything. I've tried putting the vent tube from the gas cap back on, no dice. So why in the hell is my engine dying w/in <2 min of running? I was so proud until this morning...

In short, at the moment I'm an ignorant noob and a dumb brute. HULK ANGRY

Out of curiosity do you have the tank vent tub attached to the vacuum port on the carb?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #73222
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
So I'm attempting the beginning maintenance on my DR, and I managed to change the handlebars successfully, so go me. Although I did undo things that didn't need undoing, like the clutch and the box next to the throttle...whatevs, it still ran fine after than particular mod.

Yesterday I tackled the gas tank, and put an IMS on it. After much frustration, I found I could only' keep the thing running when the vent line from the gas cap to the ? was not on it at all, otherwise it would die as if it ran out of gas. I figured, ok, I can deal w/ this temporarily in the winter before finding a better system, and it ran fine on the round-the neighborhood test drive I took it on.

Fast forward to this morning, and I can't get the thing to stay running. It starts fine, idles ok (seems to idle fine only when throttle is fully open), and then I take it as far as the end of the driveway before it stalls out. Generally in first gear, as soon as I try to get it to move further, it just dies. There's gas in it, the tube from the petcock to whatever is 4 inches to the right of the petcock seems clamped on fine, no leakage or anything. I've tried putting the vent tube from the gas cap back on, no dice. So why in the hell is my engine dying w/in <2 min of running? I was so proud until this morning...

There is a breather line from the carb on the right side which if pinched by the installation of your new tank won't allow the motor to run for long. I forget exactly which line it is but mine did that once a few years back. Take you tank off and see if it runs. If it does watch where it might be pinching a line when put back on.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #73223
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I LOVE the diecel popping.

i would pay good money to make a motorcycle sound like a rig.

anytime i can imitate a vehicle that could kill someone in a car and make them think twice about coming into my lane.

thats a +1 in my eye's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
When I bought my '06 DR650 (in '06) it had an FMF on it. With that pipe the De-Cell DID bother me some. With the stock muffler it does not. My idle is higher than standard so that helps. A richer Pilot helps too ... but screw up fuel economy and overall performance.

I think around 1500 RPM idle is about right to reduce de-cell popping.

Another Tip! EAR PLUGS!
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #73224
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
The IMS petcock is fine. It sounds like the bike is surely starving for fuel.

As long as the bike was running fine prior to your IMS tank installation, there are only a few things to look at:

1. Make sure the fuel line from the tank to the carb is not kinked.
2. There is a tiny filter in the carb inlet (carb side of fuel line) that might be clogged.
3. Make sure the petcock is in "reserve" or "on". I think the directions are different than the stock petcock.
4. There might be vapor lock in the fuel line. (An air bubble if it has a high area).
5. There was a vacuum line going from the stock tank's petcock to the carb. The nipple on the carb where it attached needs to be capped.
6. Put more fuel in the tank?
The above is very good advice. Also make sure of your fuel hose routing ... and sometimes in line filters can create flow problems.
fuel does not like to run UP HILL. Gravity is your friend ... and it's why most riders with the IMS tank ROTATE the metal fuel tube either to the 3 or 9 o'clock position.

Also, just for laughs, drain your float bowl.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #73225
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989THEARK View Post
I LOVE the diecel popping.

i would pay good money to make a motorcycle sound like a rig.

anytime i can imitate a vehicle that could kill someone in a car and make them think twice about coming into my lane.

thats a +1 in my eye's
A Rig?
Fact. Loud pipes will never save you. They simply piss people off and make them hate motorcyclists and lumping us all in with the neanderthal "Bikers" Open Pipe Knuckleheads. I'm never a BIKER ... I'm a motorcyclist. Loud pipes guarantee that anytime that motorist ever gets a chance to vote on anything about bikes ... it will be a BIG NO.

I like a bit of growl ... within reason. The GSXR pipe is about my limit. My old FMF Q2 was too loud for me and brought unwanted Police attention in town. After all ... how am supposed to get away with jumping curbs and riding up stairs of industrial buildings if the cops can hear me two blocks away? With a loud pipe I'd never get away.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #73226
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
"Throttle" can be either a noun or a verb, depending if one is talking about the device or the action.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #73227
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...neanderthal "Bikers" Open Pipe Knuckleheads.
Are the neanderthals 'Knuckleheads' or are they riding 'Knuckleheads'.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #73228
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
"Throttle" can be either a noun or a verb, depending if one is talking about the device or the action.
Indeed. A throttle throttles.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #73229
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Indeed. A throttle throttles.

Regards,

Derek
Your command of the English language is impeccable, sir.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #73230
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,778
Quote:

Did you thoroughly clean the new tank before installing it? There may have been a bunch of debris in it before. Now it might be blocking the petcock filters or carb inlet filter. Also, blow through the vent tube to check for obstruction.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote