Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #46
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Remove transmission. Post pictures of splines.

To answer your question, this does not make sense. What was done to get bike back in service after 22 years being idle?

Have you checked cable adjustment?
I'm heading over to my friends house Monday where the bike is being worked on. I'll get some pictures of the clutch spline and input shaft. The clutch spline was shot, and the input shaft was borderline.

After 22 years of storage the bike got all new fluids, and anything that was rubber or plastic got changed. Tires, tubes, fork boots, seals, etc. Clutch pull was smooth and gentle.

I checked cable adjustment as well. All was good. I've heard that some of the early g/s bikes had soft input shafts, sounds like I got one of those...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post

PS-- "GapRunr Dual Sport Touring" Just visited. Nice stuff. Your store?
Thanks! Yes, my wife (Workerant) and I own and run this business. We've got a blurb about us on our web page under where else, "About Us"!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #48
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I'm heading over to my friends house Monday where the bike is being worked on. I'll get some pictures of the clutch spline and input shaft. The clutch spline was shot, and the input shaft was borderline.

After 22 years of storage the bike got all new fluids, and anything that was rubber or plastic got changed. Tires, tubes, fork boots, seals, etc. Clutch pull was smooth and gentle.

I checked cable adjustment as well. All was good. I've heard that some of the early g/s bikes had soft input shafts, sounds like I got one of those...
I don't think any specific model or year has much to do with it with airheads, oilheads, or K bikes. Personally, think it is clutch hub metallurgy. Whatever it is, it is something that all the above models share.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #49
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:

Then you do know that it is the clutch plate splines shot-- you're ahead of the game, then. And it looks like the bike had all the proper "TLC treatment". Oh well, stuff happens. Get this out of the way and you can have a bulletproof transmission that'll last 30 years...

--Bill
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #50
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
I've got a 1981 R80 g/s... Does it make sense to anyone that this could have happened at such a low mileage, and so quickly?
Yes; the first few years of the non-flywheel bikes had some problems with the clutch carriers. I would replace the entire clutch - carrier to cover - and of course the input shaft. Then you'll be set for a long time.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
The clutch carrier which replaces the heavy flywheel starts in model year 1981.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #52
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,198
I think the problem was mostly '81 and '82. Snowbum probably has something written up on this,
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #53
supershaft
because I can

What are the early carriers suppose to have a problem with and the later models don't?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #54
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
I have an 81 with all original clutch components except for a friction plate, and have just replaced all bearings in the tranny, input shaft spline is very good.
257,000 kilometres.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #55
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
I have an 81 with all original clutch components except for a friction plate, and have just replaced all bearings in the tranny, input shaft spline is very good.
257,000 kilometres.
Is your bike an exception to a rule we have never noticed? I highly doubt it but we can still learn. I am still wondering what the issue is. Loosening starter ring rivets? They all rarely do that. What does Snowbum say about it? I'm not wading through that to find out. At least half of what he goes on about he pulls from his ass so even if he is right on this subject I am not going to believe it without more backup. IMO it's foolish to do otherwise.

The OP's clutch? If the starter ring rivets are tight, chances are the carrier is perfect. If the pressure and cover plates are not warped TOO much (they ALL warp at least a little), put them back in. You have less than a 50/50 chance for that in my experience but it is worth checking. Replace the friction plate and spring. Check the clutch rod and bearing. Your done!

supershaft screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:58 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #56
emmaroseknuckles
n00b

Oddometer: 2
lurching from stop

I have a 76 R 90S....exchanged regular transmission fluid recently (5 months ago) to redline brand...shortly thereafter, when I started from a stop, the bike would lurch as I engaged the clutch....sometimes dangerously so! When it was warm, it would start to do this after a short time; now in the winter, it would take longer before it did it....i.e., seems to worsen after it warms up...okay, help.....what have I done with this !@#$$%^^&&*(())_+ Redline? thanks for you imput, people! rmb
emmaroseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #57
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaroseknuckles View Post
I have a 76 R 90S....exchanged regular transmission fluid recently (5 months ago) to redline brand...shortly thereafter, when I started from a stop, the bike would lurch as I engaged the clutch....sometimes dangerously so! When it was warm, it would start to do this after a short time; now in the winter, it would take longer before it did it....i.e., seems to worsen after it warms up...okay, help.....what have I done with this !@#$$%^^&&*(())_+ Redline? thanks for you imput, people! rmb
It has nothing to do with the oil unless your clutch has been getting oiled the whole time and it doesn't care for Red Line. Chances are your clutch splines actually need lubing.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Not to hijack this thread but, I pulled my trans out today to clean/lube the splines. The youtube videos Chris Harris has posted are helpful for a newb like me. Everything went well until I started cleaning the boot and I found this:

Looks like this is where it came from:

I know this bike was put down pretty hard before I bought it and I've never heard any noises out of the drive shaft...how much should I be worried?
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #59
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
some_guy,

I can't tell what kind of material that is. Is it flaky like paint or is it plastic or rubbery? It doesn't look like metal. Include year and model bike. Because that drive shaft could be a solid or a sprung shaft, I think. What happens with material if broken in your fingers? I'd at least wash the tube and shaft with something to get all of what ever it is off, out of there.

It looks like paint flakes in the picture. If this is all it is then I'd say somebody painted the swing arm and got a bunch of paint on the inside.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
It's metal, stuck myself pretty good when I found the first one. Didn't find any other metal chunks or shavings in the gear oil. Everything else was suprisingly clean.

95 R100RT.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote