ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
sliverstorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
It's difficult to figure out how exactly to do that. SSN is like a password of sorts; no system based around passcodes could be particularly better.

A system asking you secretive personal questions poses the challenge of, how do you gather all that secret info?

A biometric system that scans your fingerprint or retina can be spoofed, and once your retinal pattern or thumbprint is leaked, it isn't like you can ever change it. Thumbprint of course is a terrible choice as you leave prints on everything you touch, but it is the one people are most familiar with.
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
It's difficult to figure out how exactly to do that. SSN is like a password of sorts; no system based around passcodes could be particularly better.

A system asking you secretive personal questions poses the challenge of, how do you gather all that secret info?

A biometric system that scans your fingerprint or retina can be spoofed, and once your retinal pattern or thumbprint is leaked, it isn't like you can ever change it. Thumbprint of course is a terrible choice as you leave prints on everything you touch, but it is the one people are most familiar with.
Do you know how easy it is to get someone's SS number? It's scary easy.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerot View Post
From the article:
Lifelock promised in ads that its $10 monthly service would protect consumers from identity theft. The company also offered a $1 million guarantee to compensate customers for losses incurred if they became a victim after signing up for the service. The FTC called the claims bogus and accused LifeLock of operating a scam.
$1M of coverage sounds good, but probably too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
I was just thinking the other day that the BANKS should offer this service; free; as a SERVICE.
Yes, they should be responsible for not verifying identity when giving out loans or cash. So should credit card companies and merchants. But they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Never had a problem, just trying to justify the $300 year.
My home insurance policy offers identity theft protection for less than $10 a year, with a $2500 maximum payout. It's half a loaf. I would not pay $300 a year, but $10 for something might be worthwhile. On the other hand, might not be worthwhile, since the odds of identity theft are not that high, but $10 does not break the bank.

Long ago, when I was single, I received notification that someone named "Mrs. Murgatroid42" tried to apply for a personal loan from a lower-tier loan agency. It did not affect me, and I don't know who applied in my name. (probably a BSC ex-girlfriend??).
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post

Many already do that (ask secretive questions) that go back years, often obtained from old credit reports no longer in circulation but I'm not sure how secure that is.

I agrre with the above, the liability should fall on the companies that incorrectly extend credit and $$ to the thiefs.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
sliverstorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Do you know how easy it is to get someone's SS number? It's scary easy.
Don't think I'm saying SSN is a good system. Just saying there are rather a shortage of good systems at all
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote