Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #31
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Welding the stand won't help get the bike on the stand. It will help getting the bike off the stand, which when fully loaded for touring is very difficult if your stand is crapped out. (/7)

What will help getting the bike on the stand are pivots in good order, technique, and a mechanism designed to work properly, for human strength.

A stand that does not lift the bike very much will be easy to use on a hard surface. The same stand will be useless on uneven ground or soft surfaces.

Try getting a loaded bike off a 'good' centre stand in soft ground.....it's difficult.

I think a c/stand has to be tailored to suit the individual rider.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Welding the stand won't help get the bike on the stand. It will help getting the bike off the stand, which when fully loaded for touring is very difficult if your stand is crapped out. (/7)

What will help getting the bike on the stand are pivots in good order, technique, and a mechanism designed to work properly, for human strength.

A stand that does not lift the bike very much will be easy to use on a hard surface. The same stand will be useless on uneven ground or soft surfaces.

Try getting a loaded bike off a 'good' centre stand in soft ground.....it's difficult.

I think a c/stand has to be tailored to suit the individual rider.
OK... thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case. just so happens my stand's pivot is in good condition not wallowed out, greased. have never had any problems getting bike off stand, loaded or not. the fun part is getting bike on center stand....
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #33
Mad Flyer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Center stand mods

I have two R100GS-PD's and really dislike the center stands... Was at the dealer the other day and put a new r1200gs up on it's stand. Nice. The way it should be. Just stand on it and the bike comes up. Also owned a '95 r1100gs and enjoyed the way the stand raised the bike almost effortlessly. Anyway... I'm building a better mouse trap. Will let you know how it goes. The later models, ie. the '95 GS's on have a lever so your body weight lifts the bike by stepping down instead of having to lift the beast. I have a bad back, so need to design a nice lever and weld it on to the existing center stand. This will happen soon , as I'm setting up my '92 for a S. America run and must be able to easily center stand the bike. I,ll come up with a workable solution and photograph it.

Mad Flyer screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 02:56 PM Reason: why not
Mad Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Flyer View Post
I have 2 r100gs-pd's and really dislike the center stands... Was at the dealer the other day and put a new r1200gs up on it's stand. Nice. The way it should be. Just stand on it and the bike comes up. Also owned a r1100gs and enjoyed the way the stand raised the bike almost effortlessly. Anyway... I'm building a better mouse trap. Chrome moly tubing, tig welding, etc... Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks, Some good photos and measurement will be great.
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Cy

Your centre stand on the 90/6 is a 'good one'. The centre stands on the 81-83 bikes were crap and much harder to use getting the bike on or off. I think that where the centre stand pivots in relation to the centre of weight on the bike might be an issue?
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Cy

Your centre stand on the 90/6 is a 'good one'. The centre stands on the 81-83 bikes were crap and much harder to use getting the bike on or off. I think that where the centre stand pivots in relation to the centre of weight on the bike might be an issue?
for my two airheads, no problems getting R90S or R80G/S on centerstand if I've got enough room. R90S is much easier than G/S due to much higher lift on G/S. both are in excellent condition with no bushing issues.

OT ... G/S fully loaded needs a good solid side stand. getting G/S loaded on stock centerstand is a chore. unless top box and/or rear drybag is mounted all the way back. no way I'm able swing my leg over to mount.

stock stand had to go on G/S due to difficulty of deploying while seated. a good solid aftermarket side stand is a must with loaded G/S.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
Mad Flyer
n00b

Starting to build

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyb View Post
Thanks, Some good photos and measurement will be great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230881586879...84.m1497.l2649

Found a centerstand from a '99 GS and when I compared them decided to go with the late model. A much better design. Same size holes on top,a little taller. I already started to widen it to the same width as the stock stand. I will get pics and explain better.

Mad Flyer screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 07:22 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,327
I can painlessly put my G/S on the center stand barefoot after welding this little guy on. I've chopped, welded and rebuilt most things on this bike but I think this is one of the handiest mods I've ever done.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I can painlessly put my G/S on the center stand barefoot after welding this little guy on. I've chopped, welded and rebuilt most things on this bike but I think this is one of the handiest mods I've ever done.

I like it it looks good, but what was the change the flat plate or the pipe or both?
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #40
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,728
Thread title caught my eye, as I seem to have trouble with BMW centerstands, too... my son and I bought an XS650 (Yamaha) and, though he doesn't want the centerstand permanently, I have used it alot in the bike build/rebuild... and it has what has been described ^ above: a tang that I stand on while I pull back, and ....zippedeedooooda it pops onto the stand. Something about the leverage of standing on that tang while I pull back, and it goes very very nicely. Unlike my 60/6, my 100/7 and now my 80ST.....

This photo shows the tang, which is big, beefy, and it actually WORKS. It tucks up quite neatly under the exhausts, and leaves the tang hanging out to where it can be pushed down easily, and stood upon with all of my 164.3#....

Tucked away:

Might have to fab up something similar for the BMW, after seeing how much easier this Japanese-engineered rig is.......
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #41
Mad Flyer
n00b

Finished it

[IMG]javascript:void(0);[/IMG]
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230881586879...84.m1497.l2649

Found a centerstand from a '99 GS and when I compared them decided to go with the late model. A much better design. Same size holes on top,a little taller. I already started to widen it to the same width as the stock stand. I will get pics and explain better.
Kind of a major project... widened, shortened, added top stop tabs, re-positioned, reinforced, and lengthened lift lever, added spring mounts, added square plate washers to bottom posts. Some mig, mostly tig. Grind, check fit, grind, etc... New bushings with extra bronze washers packed in high pressure grease at mounts with new longer s.s. bolts and new s.s. nyloc nuts. Installed springs.

Result. Was it worth it??? YES!!! With the lengthened lift lever, (about an inch), the 1990 GS-PD comes up easier than a new one. No lifting. Just step on it. It's very sure footed with the large washers on the bottom. Solid and strong.
I wish I could load the photos. Tried to drag and drop. Don't know...

Mad Flyer screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:48 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #42
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #43
Mad Flyer
n00b

trying bucket link...

Quote:
[IMG]javascript:void(0);[/IMG]

Kind of a major project... widened, shortened, added top stop tabs, re-positioned, reinforced, and lengthened lift lever, added spring mounts, added square plate washers to bottom posts. Some mig, mostly tig. Grind, check fit, grind, etc... New bushings with extra bronze washers packed in high pressure grease at mounts with new longer s.s. bolts and new s.s. nyloc nuts. Installed springs.

Result. Was it worth it??? YES!!! With the lengthened lift lever, (about an inch), the 1990 GS-PD comes up easier than a new one. No lifting. Just step on it. It's very sure footed with the large washers on the bottom. Solid and strong.
http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/us...lyer1/library/
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #44
Mad Flyer
n00b

Link to photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/us...lyer1/library/
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #45
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Just a warning standard BMWs Don't come with a lift lever, the tang is there to place the stand on the ground, if you use to leaver the bike onto the stand it will bend and break. Put your foot on the bottom of the stand.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote