User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
bdezz OP
CuriousDezz

Oddometer: 343
Battery or batteries

Searched around this regional forum and didn't come up with anything specific, so I figured I would throw this out there in hopes it'll help others. Or stir up the pot.

Had to replace the battery on the bike (07 R1200GSA) finally after 5 years. Sheesh! What's the deal with that! Went on a search for best price, etc. Settled on an AGM: Odyssey PC535. Yeah, I read all the threads on batteries.

Local prices (Beemer dealer and BatteryDirect): Beemer wanted $250+ I discovered SaskBattery in Regina. Shipped to the door in 6 days via Post for $157. BD wanted $20+ and didn't have any in stock. Battery's here and ready to pop in once Manxman has some time (more fun to work in his shop!).

There...shopped Canada and saved a gazillion shekels.
1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank (gone)
1971 R75/5 (gone)
1987 K100LT (gone)
bdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,805
I've ordered several batteries through Saskbattery and have been very happy with their service... I always recommend them to people in search of batteries...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdezz View Post
Searched around this regional forum and didn't come up with anything specific, so I figured I would throw this out there in hopes it'll help others. Or stir up the pot.

Had to replace the battery on the bike (07 R1200GSA) finally after 5 years. Sheesh! What's the deal with that! Went on a search for best price, etc. Settled on an AGM: Odyssey PC535. Yeah, I read all the threads on batteries.

Local prices (Beemer dealer and BatteryDirect): Beemer wanted $250+ I discovered SaskBattery in Regina. Shipped to the door in 6 days via Post for $157. BD wanted $20+ and didn't have any in stock. Battery's here and ready to pop in once Manxman has some time (more fun to work in his shop!).

There...shopped Canada and saved a gazillion shekels.

I know you've found this out already, but i'll point it out again. There is an issue with the PC535 grounding/shorting on the seat hight adjustment bar.
BTW, Edmonds Batteries in Metro Vancouver has these in stock, decent pricing for ADV'ers.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I know you've found this out already, but i'll point it out again. There is an issue with the PC535 grounding/shorting on the seat hight adjustment bar.
Not to worry bdezz, I found a way around the interference Steve mentioned. 5000 kms of bouncing around on the TCAT after the battery install and no problems.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Not to worry bdezz, I found a way around the interference Steve mentioned. 5000 kms of bouncing around on the TCAT after the battery install and no problems.

Cool, what's the fix? My battery is getting tired too.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
bdezz OP
CuriousDezz

Oddometer: 343
Prolly some fin removal (special surgery). Manxman can make/has made it work. And we'll throw our .02 worth on the list here for others to know. Thanks, too, for the Vancouver battery connection. Should check it out the next time, I guess.
1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank (gone)
1971 R75/5 (gone)
1987 K100LT (gone)

bdezz screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:20 PM
bdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Cool, what's the fix? My battery is getting tired too.
After the battery install was finished, I used the old trick of putting soft putty on top of the battery and installed the seat. Then removed the seat and I could see where there was contact.

After very slightly shimming the front seat mount and repositioning the negative battery cable there was no more interference. Checked it several times since and nothing is touching.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote