Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #346
adelorenzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Oh and the Field and Stream guys ditched some gear on the trail including their raft floats and pump at the Twitya so you might be able to use that. Unfortunately they just kind of dumped it there, so I would imagine porcupines will gnaw on it and it won't be usable.
adelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #347
beatupoldford
n00b

Oddometer: 2
awesome trip , made it past the intga river in my stock 97 chevy diesel first week in august .Made the call to turn around when my friend chris in his 95 pathfinder got stuck in a mudhole and i realized i was missing one shoe. Being stuck up there with only a pair of worn out sandals and mx boots and not a tree in sight to winch off made us rethink what we were doing there. It didnt help that we awoke that morning to snow in the hills. Rode the dirt bikes around enough to know that we have to go back next year, hopefully with one more capable vehicle and driver. The goal next year will be to drive in as far as possible, then dirtbike at least to the twitya river. A lightweight motorcycle with at least moderate power would be the easiest way to get through the whole road easily ,with the exception of water crossings. As it is we made it 80 km past the border in trucks in about 6 hours and and am sure we can get at least close to godlin lakes in one more day with a little more effort. If we did make it as far as the twitya we think we can make an awesome raft for the trucks out of all the old oil barrels laying around , lol . Thumbs up to whoever has actually been there.
beatupoldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #348
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
Oh and the Field and Stream guys ditched some gear on the trail including their raft floats and pump at the Twitya so you might be able to use that. Unfortunately they just kind of dumped it there, so I would imagine porcupines will gnaw on it and it won't be usable.
That raft tube was a piece of crap when they started. It was just the circumference of a regular raft, no floor. Remember, those guys were obligated to use whatever sponsors provided (therefore the lousy trailers, etc.), had a distinct budget, less planning time than is enjoyed here (had earlier snowmobiled something like 500 miles across the arctic that spring), and were on a schedule - getting delayed didn't work for the magazine. They also had to do things in a way that would appeal to a F&S reader, which seemed to mean building things/hunting, etc. F&S is not a slick backpacking or biking magazine. Doing things as a business venture is very different than doing it privately, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

They also had the wettest fall in years, the rivers were coming up, not going down. Weather can change everything - although a real raft solves the water crossing issue. Don't go cheap on the raft.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #349
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 454
Any one home?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #350
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
Hey guys I found this in the vendors section...

it's super light and the pulley system is rated for 500lb, and the ratchet even more. Could be a great as a "come-along".. what do you guys think?

Jason
Woa,who sells that-how much? Could have used that buy myself a few times
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #351
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Woa,who sells that-how much? Could have used that buy myself a few times
http://www.adventureengineering.com/

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #352
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,836
I dunno. Looks like a nice piece of kit, but it seems quite expensive for the size and capacity. Double the money and get yourself a Its probably going to do more for you in the long run than a little come-along. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/970/-/34352/WARN%25C2%25AE-XT17-Portable-Winch-with-Synthetic-Rope"]Linky.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #353
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I dunno. Looks like a nice piece of kit, but it seems quite expensive for the size and capacity. Double the money and get yourself a Its probably going to do more for you in the long run than a little come-along. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/970/-/34352/WARN%25C2%25AE-XT17-Portable-Winch-with-Synthetic-Rope"]Linky.
And weigh 3x as much and take up 3x the space.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #354
MitchG
Iron Collector

Ckeck this out for remote trail riding. I'm getting serious about this one(plus, this thead needed a bump)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858488
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #355
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Ckeck this out for remote trail riding.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858488
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #356
MitchG
Iron Collector

Was just wondering if the boys met some girls, bought mini vans and opened RRSP's.

Seriously though, this thing looks real good for my routine riding/exploring. Great on fuel, easy to float across rivers, load in aircraft or boats, ability to literally carry it through the tough stuff. Just have to travel "ultra light", but with me that goes without saying.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #357
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Was just wondering if the boys met some girls, bought mini vans and opened RRSP's.

Seriously though, this thing looks real good for my routine riding/exploring. Great on fuel, easy to float across rivers, load in aircraft or boats, ability to literally carry it through the tough stuff. Just have to travel "ultra light", but with me that goes without saying.
No minivans!!! Thanks for keeping this thread going! Life has been crazy for us 3 guys planning to do this trip. I've been bussy finishing up my last year of mechanical engineering, finding a job and planning a month long backpacking trip to Thailand in May once I graduate. My buddy Ben ended up getting an internship this year (he's also in mech. engineering) so he won't be finished school until next year now. Finally Nathan decided to take time off from his current career as a Millwright, sell his house, and start an Engineering degree.

So basically we had to put the trip on hold for another year or 2, but we still have every intention of making this trip... Still keeping our eyes out for good deals on a few xr250r's.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #358
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Yes. There is nothing wrong with long planning. Purhapes other things might come along, but this dream venture sparks not only you guys but everyone who reads it. The pash-un to try something is what most of these brothers and sisters live for.

When you started this tread, your plan was to plan, and that is what makes a trip like this do-able or not do-able. None of this matters because its not only the trip that is exciting, it's the dream of maybe doing it, and thats what counts. Trying to figuer out how to get past that nasty spot makes it tough to plan, but this conundrum is do-able.

The first gas powered wheels to Alaska were 2 Harley Davidsons in the winter of 1939, and they got there on froozen rivers and a animal/ Indian foot trail. Don't forget, those bikes were not the big HD's of today. I'm sure that they had gas drops and shealters on thier venture, so they had more then luck.

Plan Plan and Plan. Maybe someone on this forum will test this trip before you guys, and thats ok to. I hope you do lots of reading and google mapping so you know every nock and cranny before you guys turn on the green light. some time coasts go up as we put thing together, and this adds to planning...

From Jeathrow Bowdean PS: I like biking, and the biking likes me!!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #359
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Long awaited UPDATE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
Yes. There is nothing wrong with long planning. Purhapes other things might come along, but this dream venture sparks not only you guys but everyone who reads it. The pash-un to try something is what most of these brothers and sisters live for.

When you started this tread, your plan was to plan, and that is what makes a trip like this do-able or not do-able. None of this matters because its not only the trip that is exciting, it's the dream of maybe doing it, and thats what counts. Trying to figuer out how to get past that nasty spot makes it tough to plan, but this conundrum is do-able.

The first gas powered wheels to Alaska were 2 Harley Davidsons in the winter of 1939, and they got there on froozen rivers and a animal/ Indian foot trail. Don't forget, those bikes were not the big HD's of today. I'm sure that they had gas drops and shealters on thier venture, so they had more then luck.

Plan Plan and Plan. Maybe someone on this forum will test this trip before you guys, and thats ok to. I hope you do lots of reading and google mapping so you know every nock and cranny before you guys turn on the green light. some time coasts go up as we put thing together, and this adds to planning...

From Jeathrow Bowdean PS: I like biking, and the biking likes me!!!
Thank you for the kind encouraging words.

Now onto the update: I recently was able to download Garmin Map Source as well as the entire topographic maps of Canada so now Ben and myself will be able to begin the long task of making tracks/routes that we will follow across the sub-arctic tundra that makes up the long Canol trail. As we make progress on the mapping I will try to take some screen shots of our planned route...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #360
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
Thank you for the kind encouraging words.

Now onto the update: I recently was able to download Garmin Map Source as well as the entire topographic maps of Canada so now Ben and myself will be able to begin the long task of making tracks/routes that we will follow across the sub-arctic tundra that makes up the long Canol trail. As we make progress on the mapping I will try to take some screen shots of our planned route...
The quest is still on...I applaud your adventure and highly anticipate your Pre and Post Ride Reports You guys are what adventure is about!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote