User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #17176
Buckeye105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Question leaky water pump

I noticed this small leak coming from the water pump yesterday. I ride a 04 S with only 8k miles on it. Strange thing is it only leaks a little bit when the bike is running hot. Should i even worry about this or should i just go ahead and try the water pump fix i see on TT?

Buckeye105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #17177
focallength
Numpty

Oddometer: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye105 View Post
I noticed this small leak coming from the water pump yesterday. I ride a 04 S with only 8k miles on it. Strange thing is it only leaks a little bit when the bike is running hot. Should i even worry about this or should i just go ahead and try the water pump fix i see on TT?

$25 gets you a new seal, just order a 08/09/12 seal, leave the ductape/bailing wire fixes for baja...
just keep in mind everyone at TT will tell you youre bike will fly out of control and spontaneously combust taking out a nunnery if you dont do the mandatory fixes...
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #17178
Buckeye105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
$25 gets you a new seal, just order a 08/09/12 seal, leave the ductape/bailing wire fixes for baja...
just keep in mind everyone at TT will tell you youre bike will fly out of control and spontaneously combust taking out a nunnery if you dont do the mandatory fixes...
Haha, thanks for the tip.
Buckeye105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #17179
Steinbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
So I got the DRZ up on the lift and decided it was a perfect time to increase the footprint of the kickstand just a bit. For all the effort maybe I should have made it larger but then again I didn't want anything huge.
So I started with a big washer that I picked up at Tractor supply.

Then cut it out with the plasma cutter and dressed it up with a die grinder and welded it on from the bottom.

Then took the angle grinder to it and made it flat again.

Sandblasted it a bit to get the burned up paint off and then shot a little semi-gloss black on the bare metal...I will install it later.

This should work just fine!
Why not just weld on the whole washer from the top? You'd end up with more bottom surface area (good in sand) and it'd look a lot more "commando", to boot!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #17180
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinbuck View Post
Why not just weld on the whole washer from the top? You'd end up with more bottom surface area (good in sand) and it'd look a lot more "commando", to boot!
Exactly what I was thinking
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #17181
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That bottom irregularity makes no difference on soft ground. Surface area is the same.
Would it not be stronger on solid ground with a full washer though?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #17182
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Quote:
Stronger as in what it takes to bend the foot? Maybe...

The only scenario that I can think of where the strength of the foot could make a difference is when regularly pivoting the bike on the side stand. This foot isn't exactly huge in comparison to the original so should be okay... and even if it does curl up a bit should still be okay on soft ground.

FWIW, mines a 65x4mm disk and the original foot was completely removed so that its replacement could be welded directly to the leg. A ball was welded to the end of the foot so that it wasn't tearing up the workshop floor every time the bike needed to be pivoted on the stand.
Nice!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #17183
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,204
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
Exactly what I was thinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
Would it not be stronger on solid ground with a full washer though?
I have a done a few of these and one of them I did was like you said...just putting the washer on the bottom and welding on the top. It's not what I wanted to do but that's what he wanted. It looked terrible and every time I see it I want to cut it off and do it right... KLR owner. I prefer my stuff to be a bit more clean of an installation, I did another one on the wife's DR200 where I cut it out but welded from the top, not as clean looking.....I may redo it one day it's not about strength it's all about surface area so it really doesn't matter. As long as it helps to keep the bike upright in soft surfaces I will be happy.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #17184
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Quote:
I have a done a few of these and one of them I did was like you said...just putting the washer on the bottom and welding on the top. It's not what I wanted to do but that's what he wanted. It looked terrible and every time I see it I want to cut it off and do it right... KLR owner. I prefer my stuff to be a bit more clean of an installation, I did another one on the wife's DR200 where I cut it out but welded from the top, not as clean looking.....I may redo it one day it's not about strength it's all about surface area so it really doesn't matter. As long as it helps to keep the bike upright in soft surfaces I will be happy.
I agree with welding from the top, if only because it looks like 75% of the weld on the bottom was ground off to regain the flat surface. You can see places where it looks like the washer and stand are no longer welded together.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #17185
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
I agree with welding from the top, if only because it looks like 75% of the weld on the bottom was ground off to regain the flat surface. You can see places where it looks like the washer and stand are no longer welded together.
Seriously dude...its about penetration! How much weight does a kickstand actually support....not a tremendous amount.

On another note, a buddy came over and we pulled the swing arm and cleaned and lubed all the bearings. The swing arm bolt came out without much effort, I was a bit worried from all the horror stories I had read. The swing arm bearings showed a little sign of water intrusion but everything cleaned up and felt fine. Other than the wheel bearings, which I was going to replace anyway, everything looks good and went back together smoothly.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #17186
BRAAAP
Lil' RC!

Oddometer: 340
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

Lucky Strike wrap done by the guys at www.StickyBros.com!!! Can't wait to rip around on it come spring time!

1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade - Sold
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Sold
BRAAAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #17187
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Seriously dude...its about penetration!
That's what she said.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #17188
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Ran the MRD/SSW pipe today with only the spark arrestor (removed quiet core), tis louder for sure, but definately gained some power.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #17189
focallength
Numpty

Oddometer: 4,152
Quote:
Bet it didn't... at least nothing appreciable.

You're probably feeling a more abrupt change in power as it climbs out of the bottom end / mid-range hole created by that pipe. It really needs at least cams and carb before it starts to work properly.
+1

Id go the fcr-mx route first though, that really makes a difference you can feel, prob more than any other single upgrade.
even on a stock pipe and stock engine, if your gonna spend $600 get the pumper carb.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #17190
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAAAP View Post
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

Lucky Strike wrap done by the guys at www.StickyBros.com!!! Can't wait to rip around on it come spring time!

That's neat lookin'. Not sure I would go with a cig sponsor, but being a former smoker, and having kids will change your feelings on that sorta deal. Still neat looking

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote