Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Brennan OP
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
Help with French Customs Agent CDG, Paris

Hello!!!

I've just shipped my 1150GSA over to Paris CDG from JFK in New York. I've found out today that I need to pay 900 to clear customs and put a deposit of 1400 down that I won't see back until my bike returns to the USA. My plan is to ride through Europe, India and Southeast Asia and I'd rather not have anyone hold onto 1400 unless it is an official Carnet De Passage that is useful in other countries.

Does anyone on here have any experiences with this, good or bad? I feel like the 900 is very high. The 1400 is somewhat more understandable because I've imported my bike into France and they are basically responsible for what I do with the bike from this point forward.

I'm all ears folks. Let me know if they are being unreasonable or I am being unrealistic.

Thank you very much!
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Yes, they are being unreasonable. As long as you're not, or don't intend to become a permanent resident , then AFAIK this shouldn't apply to you.

At least, that's what the law says here in Italy...we have this common economic stuff that should make it the same over there too.

I'd really suggest posting on the HUBB, maybe there's someone local who can give you a hand.

All the best
Antonio

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Brennan OP
Food & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmanolo View Post
Yes, they are being unreasonable. As long as you're not, or don't intend to become a permanent resident , then AFAIK this shouldn't apply to you.

At least, that's what the law says here in Italy...we have this common economic stuff that should make it the same over there too.

I'd really suggest posting on the HUBB, maybe there's someone local who can give you a hand.

All the best
Antonio
I've just posted on the HUBB. I'm headed to the BMW dealer here in Paris and maybe they can help or get me in touch with a club or someone that can help. Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Hello!!!

I've just shipped my 1150GSA over to Paris CDG from JFK in New York. I've found out today that I need to pay €900 to clear customs and put a deposit of €1400 down that I won't see back until my bike returns to the USA. My plan is to ride through Europe, India and Southeast Asia and I'd rather not have anyone hold onto €1400 unless it is an official Carnet De Passage that is useful in other countries.

Does anyone on here have any experiences with this, good or bad? I feel like the €900 is very high. The €1400 is somewhat more understandable because I've imported my bike into France and they are basically responsible for what I do with the bike from this point forward.

I'm all ears folks. Let me know if they are being unreasonable or I am being unrealistic.

Thank you very much!
It looks like the 900 is TVA, (sales tax), which is 19.6 %. This article might give you some insight.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Fr...Vehicle-import

Info from the French Embassy in the US.

http://ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article782

RTLover screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 06:21 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Brennan OP
Food & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
It looks like the 900 is TVA, (sales tax), which is 19.6 %. This article might give you some insight.

I had a really nice guy at the Honda shop call customs for me. There is no way out of the 1400 refundable deposit. I'll go to the receiving agent tomorrow and try to negotiate their fees down. The 900 is not tax just fees apparently.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Willson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
I had a really nice guy at the Honda shop call customs for me. There is no way out of the 1400 refundable deposit. I'll go to the receiving agent tomorrow and try to negotiate their fees down. The 900 is not tax just fees apparently.
Brenna, how did it turn out in the end ?

I've been following your post as I will be shipping my bike with Canadian plates to Europe (possibly France) in the next few months, and I would gladly like to know if the deposit applies as well (I don't know if it would be different for Canadian plates...).

Let us know.
Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Something here is horribly wrong, and you are getting screwed over.

I brought my bike over in Spring of 2012. I paid Stefan Knopf ( http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html ) to ship it from Florida to Heidelberg. I paid to ship it and insurance and some small fees.

My total costs were about $1300. I gave him legal power to transport it and a statement that the bike would be used for pleasure vacation touring, and he handled the paperwork. It traveled in a container with other bikes by sea. 30 days.

No huge customs fees, no tax, no deposit. Nada. Bike is still there 10 months later. Stefan stores it for about $30/month in his warehouse, preps it to ride when I call him. I will ride it again later this year, and then same deal to return.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be researched BEFORE you ship.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Willson
Adventurer

Apparently different port of entries might have different regulations...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-arrival-61905

But I sure would like to know how it turned out because I want my bike to get to France !!!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post

But I sure would like to know how it turned out because I want my bike to get to France !!!
It would seem so, my bike (in group container) landed first in Antwerp. Seems best to avoid those German and French ports that are determined to take huge fees, deposits and tax. It seems that some are getting stuck with these costs because the shippers are treating the bikes like an import, not for temporary touring vehicles, and the guys at the port are just applying their usual and customary fees. it seems to me to be an issue of shipper experience and knowledge of where and how to ship and which ports to use.

On a newer, expensive machine like mine those giant (30% of value!!) deposits would be a deal killer.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post

VAT and Customs Duty referenced in this article only apply to FRENCH RESIDENTS. If you are not French, it is not an import.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post

Have you talked with a freight forwarder or customs broker?

Where were you planning on shipping from?
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
+1 for Stefan Knopf. Happy customer for 4 years now.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Willson
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Have you talked with a freight forwarder or customs broker?

Where were you planning on shipping from?
Yes I have sent a few e-mails to different Canadian customs broker and the French customs too. Just waiting for answers...

I have Yukon plates, but I am right now in Argentina and plan to ship from there.

I have both Canadian and French citizenship, if possible I will use the first one to enter the country and ride the bike like that for while (after research it is possible with Canadian plates and my licence should be good for one year). Then use the French citizenship and import the bike in France, I have the paperwork to prove I have stayed for more than one year outside the country and shouldn't need to pay any taxes on the import.

There is a good chance that I will end up shipping to a different country in Europe.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
fredgilb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I shipped a Ducati from Montreal to CDG last October. I had to spend 80 euro but not for customs. My stay was registered for thirty days but thanks to hurricane Sandy it ended up being closer to 60. I think the problem you are having may be related to the amount of time you plan to be there. When they see the bike staying for a longer period it increases the chance it will end up staying, hence the deposit.
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
insureguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I've shipped to both Germany and Belgium unassisted. Just inspected by US Customs then delivered to shipping agent at the US port for RoRo service. 12 days each way. Just drove to Antwerp and Bremerhaven ports after visiting European office of shipping agent to get some paperwork settled. Bike was sitting there ready to go once I showed that I was the owner......just drive away on it. I paid Welanius Whilhelmson about $800 each way and a few fees to agent and port......maybe totaled $1200 each way. No hassles, taxes or crazy fees. BTW the return ship was out of Barcelona....again, no troubles.
insureguy is offline   Reply With Quote