ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Injured?
Yes, transported by emergency personnel and I'll never be 100% again 37 16.09%
Yes, ended up going to the hospital after getting home, it was pretty serious, but I'm fine now 86 37.39%
Bumps, cuts, bruises, but nothing that required professional attention. 84 36.52%
Nope, never been hurt....knock on wood. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #136
sliverstorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just to give you some warm fuzzies about the poll results, consider that we are inherently missing key rider demographics, namely:

- Riders killed in action

- Riders who were injured enough to quit. Not many people who don't ride anymore will be browsing ADVRider, and I would bet money that injury is disproportionately represented among riders who quit. I.E., if 5/10 riders are injured, I would bet that 6+/10 ex-riders were injured.

This is poll is a textbook example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Which is why I say "warm fuzzies", because the poll already says 50% have been seriously injured. (Medical evac + Hospital visit categories)

In conclusion, combining the poll results and our newfound knowledge of Survivorship bias, we can conclude that new ADVRiders are more likely to have at least one hospital-grade accident or worse, than not.

sliverstorm screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:01 PM
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #137
Iggster
Tornanti όber alles!

Oddometer: 73
I dislocated a big toe when I ran into a ditch on "The Tail of the Dragon." I rode in, stopped and rode out and somewhere along the way dislocated my big toe. I was wearing motorcycle boots and everything. ???

I got rear-ended at a stop light about 8 years ago. Luckily, I was first in line and there was no cross traffic. I heard the passenger of the car that was coming up behind me yelling, "Stop, stop, STOPPPPP!" The driver didn't stop. I looked each way as I was taking off through the intersection. About 3/4 through, the car rode up onto my rear fender and we all came skidding to a stop. The bike didn't fall over because the car on top of the rear tire held it steady. I was holding on so tight that I pulled the rubber out of a Kuryakyn ISO grip. The bike actually had very minimal damage. I had no damage at all, except for the skid marks in my undies! Lucky! I always keep my bike in gear at stoplights and my eyes on the traffic behind me. And I always leave room for a "lane-split" just in case it looks like someone might not stop.

I can't say as much for the bunny in Dinosaur National Monument, the crow in Colorado or the king snake in Kansas. I ran 'em all over...in three consecutive days!
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #138
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
They say the pain of old injuries fade with time,

Does anyone still wake in the middle of the night's with cold sweat's, or nightmare's, or a queasy feeling?
Yes but it was nightmares of the ex, not motorcycle injuries

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #139
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer: 996
Cool2 *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Yes but it was nightmares of the ex, not motorcycle injuries
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #140
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
Just to give you some warm fuzzies about the poll results, consider that we are inherently missing key rider demographics, namely:

- Riders who were injured enough to quit. Not many people who don't ride anymore will be browsing ADVRider, and I would bet money that injury is disproportionately represented among riders who quit. I.E., if 5/10 riders are injured, I would bet that 6+/10 ex-riders were injured.

This is poll is a textbook example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Which is why I say "warm fuzzies", because the poll already says 50% have been seriously injured. (Medical evac + Hospital visit categories)

In conclusion, combining the poll results and our newfound knowledge of Survivorship bias, we can conclude that new ADVRiders are more likely to have at least one hospital-grade accident or worse, than not.
I concur with your conclusions about the overall safety experienced by members of this forum. It shouldn't be a surprise...we're all riding iron steeds through an unforgiving environment whether we're rippin' it in the dirt or pounding slab. Consider, safety gear isn't there to "save" you as much as is it for preventing certain injuries. You can easily die in ATGATT that you spent thousands of dollars on, but even budget safety gear can prevent a list of injuries and potentially save your life everything else considered. The fundamental assumption is that the safety gear will do its job only after you've kept yourself from completely $%&#ing up...because nothing's going to save you if you do something like this:
(WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT, DEAD BODY, but I'm sure a lot of you have seen it already)
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/462259-crotch-rocket-accident-pg13/

Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #141
sliverstorm
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
I concur with your conclusions about the overall safety experienced by members of this forum. It shouldn't be a surprise...
I agree, it should not be a surprise, but OP is new to riding so I thought I'd make sure to spell it out for him.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #142
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
No worries I wasn't saying that as a criticism. Some people need it spelled out for them even when the headlines are full of deaths every summer.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #143
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:

Obviously, this isn't a far reaching scientific study, but I did look into fatality statistics which indicate 72 deaths per 100,000 registered motorcycles. The majority of which were young sport bike riders, riders without a helmet, and/or drunk. Even so, let's use that data and add the fatalities to our worst category making it 15.42% instead of 15.35%.

Here's a link to more info for those who want to nit-pick statistics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Seriously though, reading people's experiences here has given me some insight into the risks we take on while riding, and how to better avoid them. Based on everything I've seen in this thread, the risk isn't much more than most other outdoor activities....if the rider takes the proper precautions and maintains a defensive/conservative mindset.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 11:05 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #144
sliverstorm
Adventurer

My point was not dead riders, just that the poll is inherently flawed. I don't have the slightest idea of how to account for how many riders quit due to injury, or that sort of thing, so I didn't bother with numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Seriously though, reading people's experiences here has given me some insight into the risks we take on while riding, and how to better avoid them. Based on everything I've seen in this thread, the risk isn't much more than most other outdoor activities....if the rider takes the proper precautions and maintains a defensive/conservative mindset.
Ah, the lies we tell ourselves...

Dunno about you, but I don't know anybody who's paid a visit to the hospital as a result of hiking.

Ah, well, so it goes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #145
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
My point was not dead riders, just that the poll is inherently flawed. I don't have the slightest. idea of how to account for how many riders quit due to injury, or that sort of thing, so I didn't bother with numbers.

Ah, the lies we tell ourselves...

Dunno about you, but I don't know anybody who's paid a visit to the hospital as a result of hiking.

Ah, well, so it goes
I met a few people who snapped their Achilles rolling off rocks wrong hiking when I was rehabbing for the same thing...at least I could claim skating a halfpipe, albeit middle aged, fat man, poor style, but it still sounded better than hiking!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #146
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,836
One time, at band camp,------

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #147
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
http://www.kpho.com/story/19947662/p...yon-bee-attack
http://www.krdo.com/news/Hiker-kille...j/-/index.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1830641.html
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/brea...taken-hospital
http://www.9news.com/news/article/30...injured-hikers

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #148
agave248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
injuries

Only once seriously, mostly scrapes and mild burns. I was rear ended waiting at a red light. The bike shot off and hit another car. I ended bouncing off the car then she ran away. The police caught her because the car was badly damaged and did not get far,

For me it was a trip to the emergency room. A concussion and some abrasions. Of course my family was frantic. Two cars totaled but the bike was not damaged that bad, I fixed it up and was riding in less than a week.

That was over 20 years ago. One thing I am sure of is Without a helmet it would have been way worse, maybe I wouldn't be here.
agave248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #149
mylovelyhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I had my right tib and fib broken & heel crushed in '96 by a stupid bird who turned across me in traffic.

I totalled my bike (stopping the M25 for an hour while they helicoptered me to hospital) in 1998. Ended up with a haematoma (?sp) from ankle to hip but no broken blokes, which was very lucky.

I broke my right wrist falling off at Cadwell Park in 2001. Entirely my fault :(

I broke my right collarbone by braking on farm slurry in 2008.

Cheers

m
mylovelyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #150
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Quote:
My point was not dead riders, just that the poll is inherently flawed.
I don't think the poll is inherently flawed unless you're looking at it from a purely scientific viewpoint.
The results naturally depend on the audience you've polled, and this audience is the one the OP cares about hearing the answers from.

Not the ones who quit.... they don't ride anymore, that's their answer and we don't really need to know more. It's the folks who ride on despite maybe having some ugly accidents in their past - those are the interesting stories.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote