ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #1081
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
It will likely take a GPX file but I haven't looked at the specs. Do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin instead. This becomes more relevant when people develop custom maps and overlays that will work in a Garmin but not in other units.
Well, thats not the answer I wanted to hear. But, its info and will save me the regret later. I already have a gps that doesn't work with other units.
I'm guessing what you mean is that it will most likely copy other peoples tracks but not lakes and roads and stuff from their custom maps.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #1082
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Well, thats not the answer I wanted to hear. But, its info and will save me the regret later. I already have a gps that doesn't work with other units.
I'm guessing what you mean is that it will most likely copy other peoples tracks but not lakes and roads and stuff from their custom maps.
http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/magellan...-32735164.html
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #1083
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,244
Toadl,
If I were you, I'd post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) ad in the Flea Market. I think you might be able to find a good deal on a used Garmin unit from someone who's looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I will admit (and Cannonshot I think would agree) the newer Garmin units let you navigate directly from tracks, my Garmin 62ST does this and my older Garmin Zumo 550 does not (routes only). Navigating directly with tracks is very handy for offroad/trail riding when the GPS isn't going to be able to route you properly. If none of this makes sense, swing by sometime and I'll show you the difference between the two. It's a subtle but important detail.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 07:10 PM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #1084
toadl
toadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Toadl,
If I were you, I'd post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) ad in the Flea Market. I think you might be able to find a good deal on a used Garmin unit from someone who's looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I will admit (and Cannonshot I think would agree) the newer Garmin units let you navigate directly from tracks, my Garmin 62ST does this and my older Garmin Zumo 550 does not (routes only). Navigating directly with tracks is very handy for offroad/trail riding when the GPS isn't going to be able to route you properly. If none of this makes sense, swing by sometime and I'll show you the difference between the two. It's a subtle but important detail.
Good to know about the tracks. It seems that a lot of the Garmins are basically the same. How important are the preloaded topo maps. I was looking at the Oregon, Montana would be nize except the price. I'm wondering though if the touch screen would be hard to use with riding gloves on.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #1085
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Good to know about the tracks. It seems that a lot of the Garmins are basically the same. How important are the preloaded topo maps. I was looking at the Oregon, Montana would be nize except the price. I'm wondering though if the touch screen would be hard to use with riding gloves on.
Touch screen can be a huge pain in the ass sometimes when dirt riding. See if you can't find a 60cs/csx used. You can buy a new unit with built in topo maps, or one without. If you buy one with only a background map you will want to get some detailed maps (topo or otherwise) to run on the unit. Some less developed products can be downloaded for free.

If you buy Topo 2013 (which just started shipping) you will find that unlike Topo 2008 it only unlocks to one unit.

The 78/62 series are good units but check the specs carefully as you may not be happy with the most basic model in the series.

Go over here to learn about which unit to buy:
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #1086
toadl
toadl

I'm starting to see the light and its all becoming more clear. Garmin's website is good for comparing the different models. While riding it would be really hard to use the toughscreen and the etrex line looks like the buttons are on the side which would be difficult to use while mounted. Looks like Cannonshot and Jwalters have the right idea with the 78/62 series. I don't need anything today but having a few months to look and to know what I want will ensure I get a good deal and the most value.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #1087
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Touch screen can be a huge pain in the ass sometimes when dirt riding. See if you can't find a 60cs/csx used. You can buy a new unit with built in topo maps, or one without. If you buy one with only a background map you will want to get some detailed maps (topo or otherwise) to run on the unit. Some less developed products can be downloaded for free.

If you buy Topo 2013 (which just started shipping) you will find that unlike Topo 2008 it only unlocks to one unit.

The 78/62 series are good units but check the specs carefully as you may not be happy with the most basic model in the series.

Go over here to learn about which unit to buy:
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75
Awesome info Cannonshot, I've also been studying which unit to buy and am settling in on the Garmin 60 or 62.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #1088
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Oddometer: 205
Another thing about Garmin I can say with experience is that their customer support is very good. I had a 3950lmt hit the concrete floor of my shed which cracked the screen and damaged internals. I sent it in along with $100.00 and received a brand new unit (unopened box) about 4 days later.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #1089
bdnees
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Shindig

Is this event limited to certain bikes or can an old guy on a wee join up? I am new to adventure riding but would love to participate. My work schedule looks wide open that week.
bdnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #1090
toadl
toadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnees View Post
Is this event limited to certain bikes or can an old guy on a wee join up? I am new to adventure riding but would love to participate. My work schedule looks wide open that week.
We've had lots of old guys but never a wee-strom. Two years ago millisecond brought his honda Transalp and last year there was a big BMW GS riding two up (I understand the couple is now happily married). I would allow it, but I have no authority.

toadl screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 10:23 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #1091
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnees View Post
Being an old guy myself I can assure you will be welcome. Although they schedule this event on a weekend I can't attend......hey, wait a minute!

No really the group doesn't even call me grandpa.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #1092
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,353
Hey, don't forget the first year we had a Buell Ulysses ride along. Plenty of fine riding opportunities for a weestrom around here. And age discrimination is certainly not an issue.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #1093
toadl
toadl

If anyone complains about a weestrom, I'll gladly trade bikes with bdness if we have another long ride down hwy 61 at the end of the day.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #1094
older-not-wiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
If there was age discrimination, I'd be out for sure. I've never felt unwelcome, even though I'm slow.
older-not-wiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1095
AdvSwede
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

Oddometer: 29
How do I sign up?

Proud KLR owner here. How do I go about signing up?
AdvSwede is offline   Reply With Quote