User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
JonnyCash: If I've learned one thing from this project, it's that patience is a virtue. There's ice on the ground and salt everywhere - not the ideal conditions for taking the old girl out on her first ride. I may try starting it, but unless I can actually go for a ride, it makes little difference to me at this point. It will be ready for the Spring, and that's all that really matters.

Enzo: I won't bore you with details, as you can do a search and learn more than you ever wanted to if it interests you enough. But basically, the API lettering system (SH, SG, SJ, SN, etc) indicates to some degree the content in the oil. Newer oils have reduced the content of certain additives, specifically of great interest, ZDDP. They have done so to better accommodate modern engines with catalytic converters, however, the zinc content in ZDDP is desirable for our old dinosaur engines. The "SN" rating of the oil I bought could mean it has much less zinc content than another oil. I'm sure the engine wouldn't self implode if I used it, but why cut corners or do something to cause worry now?

As for the shows, I may try to hit one or two. The problem is, with a four year old daughter and # 2 on the way, I don't have a whole hell of a lot of free time. I would rather spend the time I do have to myself riding than kicking tires. Still, if it works out, I may ride out to that Collinsville gathering.

mattsz: Don't worry, she'll run! If not right away, then I'll just keep fiddling until she does. Nothing has come as easy as I expected in this project (which is really more of an indicator of my naivety than the condition of the bike itself), so I truly don't expect her to fire up and settle into a perfect idle on the first try. But I won't complain if she does!

photorider: Thanks for the kind words, I truly appreciate them!

georgesgiralt: Thanks for the helpful suggestions, those all make a lot of sense to me. You've offered a lot of great suggestions over the past few months, thanks for reading along!

I plan to get the proper oil and fill the fluids today.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote