Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #421
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
There's no real "profit" in tire mounting (labor)...they're more of a PITA to do than can usually be charged for (especially when it's you whiny/cheap FF's).

Why would a shop want to pull a mechanic making $15-25/hr, off a job that's paying the shop hundreds or thousands of dollars (and thereby now making that customer upset because his/her bike is not getting worked on), with parts purchased there...so they can install tires that you didn't even buy from them because you were a cheap FF?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #422
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
There's no real "profit" in tire mounting (labor)...they're more of a PITA to do than can usually be charged for (especially when it's you whiny/cheap FF's).

Why would a shop want to pull a mechanic making $15-25/hr, off a job that's paying the shop hundreds or thousands of dollars (and thereby now making that customer upset because his/her bike is not getting worked on), with parts purchased there...so they can install tires that you didn't even buy from them because you were a cheap FF?
Yup - the customer wants to pay 15 for the dealer to fit the tyre and balcance the wheel, but if the dealer puts the slightest mark on his 1,500 carbon fibre rear wheel he wants the dealer to replace the wheel .........................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #423
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:

I dunno - maybe so I'll continue to:
Bring my bike there for the stuff I can't/don't want to do and pay full shop rates.
Tell my friends how great their place is to deal with.
Wander around their parts/accessory area and buy something while I'm there.
Bring my wife's bike there for service because I don't have time to do it and pay full shop rates.
Post a great review about their customer service online.
Tell a few thousand FF's with disposable income how awesome their service/parts operation is, and if they need/want something they should call.
Maybe buy my next bike there and continue to do all of ^^that^^...

Basically the same reasons every time a car comes into my dealership we lose money on the oil change, or barely break even on any tire we sell: We want you to come back for brakes, transmission, power steering, and coolant services instead of going to one of the 20 other places in a five mile radius. Or when that check-engine light comes on, or your car won't start, or won't shift out of second gear, or starts making a clicking noise when you turn, you'll call us instead of one of the 20 other places in a five mile radius.
Maybe if we treat you fairly - instead of attempting to pry every last penny from your pocket on every visit - you'll buy your next car from us and continue to do all of the above...

You've never owned/run a successful service operation have you?
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #424
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:

That's BS. Pull a $20/hr mechanic of a $75/hr job to change two tires for $25 each - and if he can do it in under 40 minutes, the dealer is making more than he was on the service work. If the customer brings the wheels in and the junior tech does it in 20 minutes for $35 per wheel, the shop is making really good money. If they're not able to calculate a proper charge for fitting tires that makes enough for the task to be worthwhile, then they shouldn't be running a business. As pointed out by others, the good will alone makes it worth only breaking even on.

Refusing to fit tires you didn't sell (when you CAN make some profit from doing so) tells me two things:
1. You're probably gouging people on the price of your tires
2. You don't understand customer service
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #425
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great stories in this thread. Long post, but here's 3 of my experiences...

First one was back in 2002, when my mom was trying to buy a new SUV. She was dead set on a brand new Lincoln Navigator, fully spec'd out. She walked into the local Lincoln dealer, cash in hand for a new SUV. That morning, she had been repainting a few rooms in the house, so she was wearing a beat up T-shirt and sweatpants, covered in paint... With 3 kids (10, 12, and 14 at the time) that had just gotten back from soccer / football practice, still covered in grass stains. No other customers in the dealer at the time. All the sales reps were busy watching a basketball game. Prodding around the showroom example for about 30 minutes, nobody even acknowledged we were there. Finally, she went up to the sales reps, told them she was looking to buy. Still, none really did anything. She pulled out an envelope, filled with cash to buy outright. After that, one of the sales reps decided to help. She told them "no thanks", and that she'd take her business elsewhere. Then, she decided she'd try for a Ford Expedition (basically the same SUV). Same clothes, same kids. The sales rep was nice enough, especially with cash on the table. After drawing up a deal on an optioned-out Eddie Bauer edition, the sales rep said something along the lines of "lets talk to your husband about the money..." She made it pretty clear that this SUV was for her, and she would be buying it. Sales rep caught his mistake, apologized, and my mom bought the SUV.

Second one was more recent (end of 2011). After test driving several cars, I found an '07 Mazdaspeed6 that I liked. First off, the dealer was asking way too much -- $19,000 for an almost 5 year old car. Fortunately I did some research. The car's turbocharged, with a top-mounted intercooler. Running too thin oil causes it to seep past the turbo seals, burning a bit of oil. This causes film around the intercooler seal (where the hood comes down on the intercooler), as well as blue smoke out of the exhaust as the car warms up. When poor oil is used, the car dumps turbo pressure at 4,500 RPM to prevent damage. These symptoms also point to a blown turbo. The sales rep knew pretty much nothing about the car. After walking him through the symptoms of a "blown turbo", and having the local Mazda dealer price out a turbo replacement, I had them drop the price by $6,000 (which put it right around what the car was worth). Happy with the new price, it came time to buy. I was driving an '05 Nissan Altima that I was considering trading in. My family owns a Nissan dealer, so I had a good idea of what they were worth on trade (as well as what they could throw it on the lot for). Dealer offer's me $2,500 on trade. Hell. No. Sold the thing private party for $8,500 (still a little less than it was worth, but I wanted a quick sale), and financed the remaining $4,500. Couldn't believe how much they tried to screw me over...

Only had one problem with a dealer's service department, and that was when driving said Mazda cross-country last summer. Driving through Dallas at 3 in the morning, in a big downpour. Some jackass decides to merge in on me -- only choice I had was the flooded shoulder. Intake sucked up a bit of water, and fried the mass air flow sensor (MAF). Limped my car to a hotel, and had it towed to a dealer in the morning. They tried charging me out the @$$ for a new MAF. Something like $800 including parts and labor. Talked with the service manager, told him there had to be something wrong. It's 2 bolts to remove, and is right on top -- about 10 minutes worth of work, including clearing the codes. Only way to talk him down was using refurbished parts. No other option, so I spent $200 on a refurbished MAF, hoping it'll at least hold till my destination. I got about 100 miles away before it blew again. Got it to the local dealer, who refused to do the service because it was a speed6, and not a regular mazda6. Service department told me they don't have the tools. Wound up having to do some parking lot diagnostics. The MAF was shorting out, throwing bad codes, putting the car in limp mode. If I got the codes cleared, I could drive until the turbo dumped, then it'd go back into limp mode. Got the codes cleared at Autozone for free, pulled off my entire intake, and ran it slow (not letting the turbo spool). The nearest "speed"-authorized Mazda dealer was the one that did the bad MAF replacement. The next nearest was 300 miles away, a few miles from my end destination. They had just opened a month ago, and I explained my situation. I was essentially limping in, wouldn't get in until late that night. The service department got the owner on the phone, and it was probably the best experience I've ever had. The owner said he'd leave the gates open for me, and to just bring it in whenever I got there. Gave me a number to reach one of his employees -- if I made it to the dealer, I could get a ride to my destination. If I didn't make it, they'd send a truck out to tow me in. 6 hours, and 300 miles later, I made it in to the dealer. Parked it in service, got a lift. They put my car as top priority, replaced the MAF for the dealer cost of the part, and $20 for labor. I was good to go early that morning. Best service I've ever had. Since I was going to be in town for the next week or so, I took my car back to them, and had them do a full inspection. Told them to replace absolutely anything that was going out, or looked like it might go out soon. Glad to give them the business.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #426
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post

You've never owned/run a successful service operation have you?
No...after 4 years of owning/running an off road business, we had to close because I was always too willing to stop work on the big/high paying jobs so I could take care of all the annoying PITA's with their unprofitable tire mountings and such. But I sure was busy

You've never run a successful automotive/motorcycle service operation, have you?
09 TE450
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #427
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's BS. Pull a $20/hr mechanic of a $75/hr job to change two tires for $25 each - and if he can do it in under 40 minutes, the dealer is making more than he was on the service work. If the customer brings the wheels in and the junior tech does it in 20 minutes for $35 per wheel, the shop is making really good money. If they're not able to calculate a proper charge for fitting tires that makes enough for the task to be worthwhile, then they shouldn't be running a business. As pointed out by others, the good will alone makes it worth only breaking even on.

Refusing to fit tires you didn't sell (when you CAN make some profit from doing so) tells me two things:
1. You're probably gouging people on the price of your tires
2. You don't understand customer service
If...if...if...

You're the same FF who would pitch a fit (and bad mouth the bike shop here) when they said "Sorry mister FF, but your bike isn't ready when we said it would be...we pulled the mechanic working on your bike to mount some tires for another FF who showed up with tires he bought on the interwebz. I'm sure his good review of us will cancel out your bad review of us."

Just to clarify, in your opinion "You don't understand customer service". It's my opinion that you don't have a fucking clue what it's like to run a motorcycle shop.
09 TE450
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #428
creggur

Quote:
No...after 4 years of owning/running an off road business, we had to close because I was always too willing to stop work on the big/high paying jobs so I could take care of all the annoying PITA's with their unprofitable tire mountings and such. But I sure was busy
Sounds like you really valued your customers...

Quote:
You've never run a successful automotive/motorcycle service operation, have you?
Nope, just successful automotive operations for the past 15 years. But I've dealt with successful moto shops that somehow figured out how to make it work...without gouging my eyes out over something simple. Their doors are still open - even as rough as the industry has had it the past four years - must be doing something right. Oh, maybe they value/appreciate EVERY customer that chooses to darken their doors...

BTW it's not about dropping everything to provide low-margin services for every price-shopper that calls or drops in - it's about setting the customer's expectations up front, being honest, following through on what you promise, and sometimes going the extra mile for someone (especially if they are in a bad situation (broken down or stranded)).

I have no idea how you ran your business, and I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work out - nothing saddens me more than someone having to shutter their dreams - but it sounds like you considered many of your customers to be nothing more than a Pain In The Ass...not a formula that generally works out long-term.
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #429
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
If...if...if...

You're the same FF who would pitch a fit (and bad mouth the bike shop here) when they said "Sorry mister FF, but your bike isn't ready when we said it would be...we pulled the mechanic working on your bike to mount some tires for another FF who showed up with tires he bought on the interwebz. I'm sure his good review of us will cancel out your bad review of us."

Just to clarify, in your opinion "You don't understand customer service". It's my opinion that you don't have a fucking clue what it's like to run a motorcycle shop.
If you're suggesting I have never run a motorcycle shop, you're correct.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, however, having seen a significant number of motorcycle (and car) service operations come and go. Everybody knows the ones with the best customer service, and the best attitude - and those are usually the ones that succeed.

I would not expect anyone to drop what they were doing to mount my tires. Nor would I want them fitted at a loss to the shop. However, I would not expect to be told to sod off when my tires could be fitted just as profitably as the service work. A good service manager will know which jobs could be delayed to attend to a "walk-in" customer and when/how to politely inform that customer that there will be a delay.

We're obviously not going to agree on this - and you've probably got better things to do than debate on the interweb with someone you're not making any money from.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #430
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,604
Quote:
Quote:

I really don't want to get involved in a pissing match but I have to say your conflicting(IMO) statements don't add up.
I think you answered your own question(to satisfy your theory) and according to your post, you did the exact thing you are saying business's should not do and it caused you business to shutter it's doors...

Most places aren't going to stop what they are doing and jump on any walk in work unless they either have an extra employee standing around or are having a slow day.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #431
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I really don't want to get involved in a pissing match but I have to say your conflicting(IMO) statements don't add up.
I think you answered your own question(to satisfy your theory) and according to your post, you did the exact thing you are saying business's should not do and it caused you business to shutter it's doors...

Most places aren't going to stop what they are doing and jump on any walk in work unless they either have an extra employee standing around or are having a slow day.
Exactly! We try our best to accommodate them, but they understand up-front if our shop is full of appointments they may be waiting awhile... He'll, I'll give them a ride to get lunch or wander the mall instead of sitting in the waiting area watching the clock...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #432
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
The independent shop that I used to use (which unfortunately had to close it's doors) had no problem putting tires on for me. He understood that I did all the work I felt comfortable doing. Which mounting tires wasn't one of. I in turn understood that he had other customers. So I would drop my tires off in the morning, and he would get around to them whenever he found the time. Then I would pick them up in the afternoon.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #433
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Y'all are doing it wrong...
Hire a kid for minimum wage and teach him a skill - tire changing.
Then you give him a bonus of $10/tire he changes that doesn't have a 'comeback'
He will not only change as many tires as he can, he might even get his friends to come in too.
You charge $30/tire and keep $20 (costs didn't increase because he was the shop kid already)
*all rates based on SFBAY CA shop rates of $100+/hour - adjust as needed for your region
Before you know it, he's your most profitable 'mechanic' in the shop.
Then you use him to detail bikes, change tires, replace bulbs, etc... as he learns a trade while making you money.

Get a kid with the right attitude and personality and word will get around. I've paid for several tire changes and never once did a mechanic get pulled but every once in a while a mechanic that had nothing to do did it. More often though, it was the kid that just put down the broom and had a big smile on his face because he got to play with the tire machine.

Oh yeah, I was that kid back in 1988 at a gas station doing car tires, patching, replacing and eventually balancing. I also changed spares at no charge to the customer per the shop but often got a tip from the 'customer'.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #434
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I just skipped from page 1 to page 29 and noticed the conversation was still mainly about tire mounting... Don't think I will read in between...
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #435
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I just skipped from page 1 to page 29 and noticed the conversation was still mainly about tire mounting... Don't think I will read in between...
But then you'd miss out on the FWD, 4WD beat a dead horse athon..
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote