Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Norway to Turkey

Hi

I have been thinking about this trip for a long time and inspired by others that wrote there RR here on ADV. Im ridinga concours14 so il stay on the roads. My family have a holyday apartment on the south coast of Turkey so plan is to send them down with plane and il ride my pike. one week down, one week in Turkey and two weeks back.
The route i have been looking at is 4200km one way, and i only have one checkpoint so far and thats the Transfăgărășan pass in Romania. Anyone got any tips for what to see and do on the way down. Main interest is History. Castles, old towns and other historical areas. As well as scenery. Any ww2 or ww1 sight on the way is a bonus.

I will try to mosly camp, and fairly experienced at camping. As a army scout sniper i should be:) But also here i will welcome any tips, never to late to learn new stuff. I like camping but its also a way to ceep cost down, so i can stay on the road longer. And i hate paying for sleeping for 8 hrs.

Last few years my main summer ride have been a week or two in norway, and always had rain. This time i want to find the sun. Im hoping to leave mid may. What shout temprature and weather be like on this route this time of the year?

Thank you all, hope your able to understand my best attempt at writing in english
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Hi

I have been thinking about this trip for a long time and inspired by others that wrote there RR here on ADV. Im ridinga concours14 so il stay on the roads. My family have a holyday apartment on the south coast of Turkey so plan is to send them down with plane and il ride my pike. one week down, one week in Turkey and two weeks back.
The route i have been looking at is 4200km one way, and i only have one checkpoint so far and thats the Transfăgărășan pass in Romania. Anyone got any tips for what to see and do on the way down. Main interest is History. Castles, old towns and other historical areas. As well as scenery. Any ww2 or ww1 sight on the way is a bonus.

I will try to mosly camp, and fairly experienced at camping. As a army scout sniper i should be:) But also here i will welcome any tips, never to late to learn new stuff. I like camping but its also a way to ceep cost down, so i can stay on the road longer. And i hate paying for sleeping for 8 hrs.

Last few years my main summer ride have been a week or two in norway, and always had rain. This time i want to find the sun. Im hoping to leave mid may. What shout temprature and weather be like on this route this time of the year?

Thank you all, hope your able to understand my best attempt at writing in english
No problem with your English.

It might help if you could post your itinerary so someone could give you advice about places to see/stop. 4200 kms in a week doesn't give you much time for sightseeing, though.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There is no detailed plan yet. Going to have a go at a Iron butt Saddle Score first day. North of Denmark to Budapest first day. This leave me with 2600 km in 6 days. A little more then 400km a day. 6-8 hr riding a day, should be doable i think.
Going home i have 2 weeks maybe 3, depending on work. Most of the sightseeing will be done during the ride back north.
What would temp and weather be like in mid may?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
olionel
Enthusiastic Member

Oddometer: 28
hello;

Your trip sounds good. Weather should be nice around May. Obviously the souther you get the nicer. I don't think you'll be cold but I'd prepare to get wet. Also driving will get worse and worse as you head east too. So just be extra aware, but it won't be dangerous...just a bit more "potential hazardous". Once you get to the Aegean and the south of Turkey you're cruising... April May, Sept Oct are the best times to be sitting on a bike in traffic and visiting the place. After mid June till the end of August its 35C+..so head to the hills I'd say :) or east....
olionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you.
Im norwegian so used to rain, but want to find some warmer weather.
Im fairly familiar with the south coast in Turkey as vi have a holyday partment outside Alanya. This ill be my 6th visit but first by roads. Always fly down.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
mart´n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I have no tips for you, but I do want to wish you a safe trip.
My parents have an apartement outside Alanya too, and I´m also hoping to drive down their one time.
I hope you do a r.r once you get back.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope i have the writing skills to do a RR. I even want to try to keep it upsatd as i travel. At the moment there is one thing i cant make up my mind about. My tyres have 2/3 thred left. And most likly they will not last the whole trip. So should i get new tyres now or get some on the road. Anywhere will be cheeper then norway. But a little worried aboit the language and avalability of tyres.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
jesperd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Transfaragasan

Transfaragasan can be an issue in mid May, so you would probably want to look at alternative options as well. There's a tunnel at the top with gates that may be closed, but you can ride all the way to the top if road conditions allow. If it is closed, you will just have to return the same way.

Me and some friends rode to the top last year beginning of June, where it was closed. But that wasn't due to weather, that was due to some rock slides on the southern side. There's some video here http://youtu.be/KXumWbidtxE Transfaragasan starts at 9:00.

If it is closed, I would take highway 1 (from Brasov), which I believe is quite scenic too.

Transalpina is great (some even say better than Transfagarasan (planning on riding that end May)). Transalpina will not be closed as such, but snowy roads could make it too unpleasent on a bike. It is a bit out of the way if your first attempt is Transfagarasan and you still want to cover some distance to Turkey.

But I'd say give it a try, if it doesn't work out, just turn around. No matter what, you'll have a fantastic ride.
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is my planed route going south

still no plans for the return
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 387
Hi,

and thanks for you nice comments on my Romania report. Regarding the tires I would definitely consider changing them somewhere or upfront. I've run out of rubber once and finding a tire on the road can of course be difficult.

In Germany it should be possible - though difficult - to find a shop where they speak good English. You can buy a tire online and have it shipped directly to a garage and you only have to make an appointment with the garage for the tire change. Most online shops have contracts with local shops ('Montagepartner'). A set Pirellis for the Concours is about 200EUR here.
Another idea would be Doug's Moto Camp in Bulgaria which would be a minor detour for you. His team speaks perfectly good English, so you could contact them upfront and ask if they could help organizing the tire change.
But if you've been in Turkey before, don't you know anybody there to help? Why not having the tires changed while you're relaxing in you beach house?

Have fun!

Pip

BT21 (I think) after about 8000km on loaded CB750. That picture is 6 years old - I think current models last longer.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
Hi,

and thanks for you nice comments on my Romania report. Regarding the tires I would definitely consider changing them somewhere or upfront. I've run out of rubber once and finding a tire on the road can of course be difficult.

In Germany it should be possible - though difficult - to find a shop where they speak good English. You can buy a tire online and have it shipped directly to a garage and you only have to make an appointment with the garage for the tire change. Most online shops have contracts with local shops ('Montagepartner'). A set Pirellis for the Concours is about 200EUR here.
Another idea would be Doug's Moto Camp in Bulgaria which would be a minor detour for you. His team speaks perfectly good English, so you could contact them upfront and ask if they could help organizing the tire change.
But if you've been in Turkey before, don't you know anybody there to help? Why not having the tires changed while you're relaxing in you beach house?

Have fun!

Pip

BT21 (I think) after about 8000km on loaded CB750. That picture is 6 years old - I think current models last longer.
Thanx, great info. Think it might be hard to find anywhere localy in Turkey that could do do it. Atleast in the area we are staying. Another ADV inmate based in Bucarest have offerd to help me get a set of tyres there. if that dont work out i have the places you sugest to fall back on.

€200 for a set is what i pay for a front tyre back home :)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
This is my planed route going south

still no plans for the return
If yuor ambition is to do a saddle sore the first day, I would propose that you go the route around the Czech republic on the way down (entering Austria at Passau). The free speed on German Autobahns and the fact that they are in a vastly better condition than in the Czech Republic will give you an easier time to reach the goal of a saddle sore in time. Besides, the road through south-east Bavaria over Regensburg must be one of the most scenic Autobahns in Europe (routes 93 and 3) - at least if you like me aren't all that impressed and excited by mountains.. I've driven Vienna-Jönköping (Sweden) and back again more times than I care to count, and I almost always do that route. Usually non-stop.. You can do the Czech Republic and Slovakia on the way back - they're beautiful places, but you need to be a bit more careful with the driving.

The route over Hanover-Magdeburg is probably a good choice - last summer there were a number of road constructions going on there which slowed me down a lot, but they should be finished by now and thus their attention focused elsewhere! It's amazing how things like that eat away at your schedule when you've been pressing to get a good average speed up!

You could complete the saddle sore and then change tyres in Vienna for example, plenty of places around although not too much English.. but it's nothing that should stand in the way - point to the tyres and say "wechseln" and you're good :-)
Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?

K0m4 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 03:33 AM
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanx. Great info there. If will be a bit longer to Budapest then but could make the saddle score less hard.

Maybe this is a better plan then?

do i need to pay road tax in Austria?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Yes ther are road taxes on motorways in austria. You pay for the taxes in a petrolstation and reciv a sticker i think. Nothing to compare the prices you pay her in Norway:-D
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nothing compare to prices in Norway