User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #541
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
No Jacksonville!
My friend didn't have time till the 30th.
I have a tendency to forget that most folk are timebound becauseofwork and such.
Had a realy late start because of the cold weather, my seat was covered in frost!
The ride along the coast was gorgeous, more tomorrow!
San Blas was way too expensive! So now I am illegally camped at a statepark north of Panama city, turns out it is not meant for camping. The ranger was nice and gave me a warning citation, got to pack up first thing in the morning though. Had I gone 4 more miles I would have bumped into a campground.
Eventhough he woke me up, I am glad to see it is still a bit warmer here!

NomadGal screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:48 PM
NomadGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #542
NomadGal OP
Esther

Sitting comfortably at a fancy laundromat with internet! Awesome!
The road along the coast yesterday was pretty spectacular in places, not so nice in other places.......
After spending a week in the forest I need to get desensitized again, if there is such a thing. I can't help but imagine what some of the places looked like years ago, before all the buildings along the coastline. Not sure what good it will do me seeing as we can't go back or undo any of it, at least not on a massive scale. Hmmmm, mother nature can though!

This reminded me of the ride to the Keys, I do love riding over bridges that span water. These are the bridges leading to St George island

Once I got to St George's island, this pretty lighthouse greeted me.

The island itself is totally built full. One house after the other, hugging the coastline, so that I barely saw the ocean.

On my way back, now toward Cape San Blas.

It looked like the state park at the end of the peninsula was gorgeous, but the ranger wouldn't let me go and take a look without paying $6. I thought it way to steep to just make a loop around the area.
The camping was going to be $26 plus tax, and I decided to just wing it and see if I could find a cheaper or free place.

Heading up to Pine Log state forest, where I thought a campsite should be.

Well, what happened you read in my previous post.
I had a hard time falling asleep again afterward, but I finally succumbed. I tossed and turned and had some crazy weird dreams! The coyotes where howling, and the fact that there was a bear crossing sign not too far away made me a bit edgy.
I woke up at 6 , made a cup of coffee and hit the road by 8. Wow, another record!
It was not nearly as cold as before, in the low forties. She sun rose unrestricted and warmed up the campsite and dried my tent fairly fast.

Now, doesn't this look like a campsite?

I diligently went to the booth and paid my $2 for day use, (hmmm, they need to rephrase that one, according to me a day is 24 hours

Hugging the coast line to Destin. There were places like Santa Monica, Laguna Beach, Hollywood Beach, Riviera Beach etc. Hmmmm, very original!

A gated community

Awesome little place

I had to stop and turn around to take a picture of this!

Not all the buildings looked like this, but I think this is the feel they were aiming for

Mural at a sunny sport building in Destin.

As soon as the laundry is done I will grab a bite to eat, and head for a free campsite near the army base.
Before I do however I will visit Ford Pickens state park at the end of golf boulevard.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #543
NomadGal OP
Esther

Wow!
Another mile marker today! Braved the sand and beat it, (sort of)
The trip along the coast to Ford Pickens was for the most part beautiful, especially after the buildings disappeared.
Some of them were quite unique however.

I think this is a hotel of sorts, but I love the little turrets and such

This kind of sand is like sugar, very fine but gritty. Even though it was sunny, the temperature was chilly, and I ha no problem imaging it to be snow.

I parked Spirit and walked on the beach. Took a pic of this small Dune, very Feng Shuai (not sure how you write that)

I guess it's because of the white sand and the blue sky that the ocean manages to be this vivid Augua

I take way to little pics of Spirit, she must feel neglected!

Haha, this was worth stopping for!

I got into Fort Pickens National park for free, didn't realize it was a national park until the ranger told me. Awesome!

For a second I played with the thought of just paying for a campsite there, I was tired, not having slept well last night really made a difference.
When I saw the amount of RVs, complete with dish network dishes in front of them, I decided against it.

The road to Hwy 87 was fast, and went over even more bridges

There was a $3.75 toll on the last one, but I didn't mind, not if it meant a free campsite.

Now............ one of these days I will learn how to read instructions! I kept looking for a gate, and when I saw one, I just saw red dirt/sand roads, and a warning no trespassing sign.
I ended up asking a guy in a truck, who gave me the directions to Grassy Hill.

Of course when someone says take a right on a dirt road 2 or 3 miles, after you turn right on Choctaw Road, I inevitably chose 2 instead of three miles, LOL

Needles to say, I picked the wrong road, and after hitting some sandy stretches, which I bravely navigated standing on my pegs and leaning back, I hit a stretch where I just went "No way Jose!"

I did what any sane person, who doesn't do sand too well, would do, namely ride with my two legs walking on either side of my seat like training wheels.
At one point I turned left, seeing as I could see from my GPS that the bay was to the left.

I parked Spirit and decided to see how far this mess would go.
After about 3 minutes worth of walking stuff got even hairier! A black coyote crossed my path, cool!
I decided to turn my bike around and go back, I didn't like the idea, but the alternative was just too plumb scary

I got back on the road without dropping Spirit! Yay! I was drenched and exhausted.

I did find the correct road a little further down. So much more pleasant!

As I got to the campsite, I noticed a yellow tent, and a motorbike! Cool Another biker like my found this spot.

Once I said hi and parked my bike he walked up and said something like, " l get to meet the "famous"? NomadGal and Spirit. Surprised the heck out of me.
Turns out he was NoMoIke, and he had read my RR. LOL, that is just too weird!
He also had sent me a PM about 45 minutes before I rode into the campsite.

Anyway, the two of us are camped out here at this very beautiful and idyllic free campsite. I even have cell signal, hence the RR update

The gentle lapping of the waves is going to knock me out in just a few minutes.
More tomorrow! Good night!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #544
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Wow, that sand looks pretty hairy! Congrats on standing up in it! (I am still kind of a sissy when it comes to that, lol.) Glad to see you made it to your campsite unscathed.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #545
NomadGal OP
Esther

Been at the camp a couple of days now, and what I had originally found to be an idyllic place turns out to have it's disadvantages. One, the bugs, two, the house next to the camp ground.

As for the bugs, the guy in the building next to the campground said to burn some Spanish moss, the smoke keeps the bugs away

So I went and used some of Gunny's fire tablets in my cup and lit some moss. It worked, but now I smell very smokey!

Yesterday Chris (NoMoIke) and I went to Wallymart to get some stuff, for me water, food and a little splurge, namely an mp3 player, so I could listen to music while riding. Afterward we went to Starbucks to recharge all our electrical equipment, and to relax with a cup of iced coffee, or in Chris's case a frappuchino.
Traffic was a bit of a drag on the way home, and my cheap little mp3 player played one song and stopped. Dang, guess I need to see what I did wrong.

We got back just a tad after sunset, but I did capture a colorful sky.

While eating dinner I saw that I had a new email, turns out it was from GoalZero, the roadshow lists were out.
I was excited and ran to my tent to book my first show.
Unfortunately there weren't that many choices, most of them were taken already, how I don't know.
I booked my first one in Pharr, southern tip in Texas. We'll see if I get it!

The I went to bed around 9, only to be kept awake by some noisy newcomers, and later on by folks in a truck scoping out the beach while keeping their truck running, lights aimed my way!

Finally after they left I fell asleep, only to be woken up by the generator starting at 5:30 AM.
I was still very tired and decided to just accept what was, and to just go and use the bathroom.

What greeted me was an awesome morning sky, with the moon almost hitting the horizon, and reflecting off the water.
I need to get a little tripod! Couldn't keep still enough for the time it took for the shutter to close again.

I stayed up after that, and just read.
Today I am tired, and the generator still runs!
Time to find another campsite!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #546
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Too bad about the noisy neighbors, it is a beautiful view! I saw a small (8") flexible tripod in London Drugs for less than $20 a month ago. Looked like it would work well on a bike.
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #547
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Too bad about the noisy neighbors, it is a beautiful view! I saw a small (8") flexible tripod in London Drugs for less than $20 a month ago. Looked like it would work well on a bike.
Regards....just jeff
Yep, I saw one in Wallymart for $20. Gorilla.......something.
I decided on a $7 miniature tripod, cheaper and way smaller. I really am space challenged. :)
Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #548
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yesterday Chris (NoMoIke) and I went to Wallymart to get some stuff, for me water, food and a little splurge, namely an mp3 player, so I could listen to music while riding. Afterward we went to Starbucks to recharge all our electrical equipment, and to relax with a cup of iced coffee, or in Chris's case a frappuchino.
Thanks for outing me on my guilty pleasure!

NomadGal on the red road.

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 02:55 PM
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #549
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,878
It's good to see you back out on the road!!

Quote:
Yep, I saw one in Wallymart for $20. Gorilla.......something.
I decided on a $7 miniature tripod, cheaper and way smaller. I really am space challenged. :)
I got one for a buck at the Dollar Tree.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #550
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
It's good to see you back out on the road!!

I got one for a buck at the Dollar Tree.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Now you tell me!
Dollar Tree here I come!
Hey, wait a sec............What the heck is Dollar Tree? Heard of Family Dollar and Dollar General.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #551
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm in Alabama! Yay!
Left camp and NoMoIke at 10 AM this morn, and rode alone the coast into Alabama.
The scenery didn't change between the states, white sand, blue ocean and empty vacation homes all along the shore.
If I got a buck for each "available for Rent" sign, I could buy a new KLR! Guessing it's off season.
Took the ferry from gulf shores to Dauphin island. Cool little ferry, I was the only vehicle on board. Felt like a queen, LOL!
The captain bumped into the wood pole in the water and almost sent Spirit and I sprawling on the deck. Luckily I held her, and the ship's mate grabbed her too.
Once I got to dauphin island I checked out the camping, but it was chuck full with RVs and expensive.
So off I went, north toward Hwy188 when I saw a McD in Bayou la Batre.
I hadn't planned on stopping, but a little voice in my head said, go online and see if you can find a campsite, or maybe an ADVer nearby. Sure enough, Nanohiccup was about half hour north of where I was.
I figured I could try and see if he answered, if not I would find a campground.
Sure enough he did, and I'm about to head over there. Cool! A hot shower sounds awesome, not that a baby wipes bath is not productive, still...........
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #552
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,878
Quote:
Now you tell me!
Dollar Tree here I come!
Hey, wait a sec............What the heck is Dollar Tree? Heard of Family Dollar and Dollar General.
Where everything is just a buck.

http://www.dollartree.com/home.jsp
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #553
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am at nanohiccup's house typing up my report after having had dinner and a wonderful hot shower!! Wow, what a luxury

Yesterday when NoMoIke and I went to Wallymart to get a tripod etc, I took a pic of him riding behind me.

I will post it on his ride report too.

When we got back the sunset was awesome!

kinda cool, I look like a mystery gal

They all came out so good, that it is hard only posting 3 LOL

with my newly taken tripod, the moon looks like the sun!

Alabama shore looks the same as the Florida one

I totally nailed this shot without looking to see if I got the building in my viewer. yay!

Tried to take a picture showing on the Xog where I was. you can faintly see it, on my way to Dauphin via ferry

Waiting for the ferry to show up

Spirit in all her glory!

Two

Plus one

equals three! LOL, I can still count after having been up since 5:30 AM

There's the ferry, Yikes, I got to go on there?

Yep, Spirit was the only vehicle!

Hmmm, they were all looking East, wonder why??

Can you see the bridge going up? Heading to the mainland

Yay, finally some trees again, the sand was getting a little lame, I love trees!

Jason (nanohiccup) came to meet me at MacD and showed me around the area a little.
We took a few short cuts, basically dirt roads, to his house before stopping to pick up some food.

Shannon his wife is taking an exercise class that last 6 weeks, and is called insanity. Basically she gets tortured for 6 weeks, and will probably come out of this buff, slim and energetic, AKA superwoman! Hats off, the thought of doing this makes me shudder. I think I am lazy

Chris runs a nursery, and I was very tempted to stay underneath the swaying palm trees, but the thought of a hot shower won! He's got this really cool ADV sticker on his bike, and all the states that he's been in are colored in. Cool! I've got t get me one of those!

His son Zack is a cool kid, went to the store in his PJ pants, Haha, sound just like me!

My eyes are starting to close, so I am gonna hit the sack, actually, in this case my sack is on a bed!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #554
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,294
Jason's good people.

Gotta watch out for Billy. He's trubble.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #555
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 764
Eh ?

sticker link ..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596874
nanohiccup is online now   Reply With Quote