Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #46
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
First, thanks for everyone who has posted on this thread, very interesting stuff. For those of you with the Rukka or Klim suits how easy are the pants to get on and off when you have jeans on? Can you get them on and off over shoes? I was looking at both brands on Revzilla and saw no mention of zippers on the side of the pant legs. I am wearing the Motoport stretch kevlar and sometimes would really prefer something with built in waterproof/windproof instead of always needing an addional layer for this function. I had asked Wanye about why he didn't offer Gore-Tex as an option and it was a cost issue.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
First, thanks for everyone who has posted on this thread, very interesting stuff. For those of you with the Rukka or Klim suits how easy are the pants to get on and off when you have jeans on? Can you get them on and off over shoes? I was looking at both brands on Revzilla and saw no mention of zippers on the side of the pant legs. I am wearing the Motoport stretch kevlar and sometimes would really prefer something with built in waterproof/windproof instead of always needing an addional layer for this function. I had asked Wanye about why he didn't offer Gore-Tex as an option and it was a cost issue.
They Klim pants are not designed as overpants. The leg zippers only go up to about the top of the calf so you can't really get them on or off over shoes/boots.

For commuting to work I use the Aerostich AD-1 pants. They're designed to go over your regular pants (full side zips) and they're waterproof. During the summer I use my Motorport Mesh kevlar over-pants.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
But, the mesh Kevlar and the body armor don't absorb water. It's not like wearing leathers and having them get soaked. If I ride out of the rain, the Motoport suit dries out in minutes. If I arrive at my destination and it's still raining, the MP suit will be dripping some water as I go into wherever I'm going, but even then it dries out quickly. And I'm not sure it will be dripping any more water than my Roadcrafter would be, in the same conditions.

Bottom line for me: I thought the same as you, at first. I.e. I thought my Roadcrafter would be my choice for cold/wet and the MP for everything else. But, now that I've ended up riding with my MP in some cold/wet, I have decided that, for ME, even in cold/wet I prefer the MP mesh Kevlar with liners. It's simply more comfortable. And, after riding in my RC recently from SF to Roseville and back (220 miles, round trip) in one evening where the temps were low 50s, dropping to mid 40s, I actually think my MP mesh Kevlar with the liners in is just as warm as my RC.

And I'm not sure where the idea is coming from that a 1 pc suit is easier to deal with heated liner wiring. I find it a lot easier to run the wiring out between the jacket and pants of my 2 pc than it is to run it out the side pocket opening of my 1 pc RC.
if one is only dealing with temp down to mid 40's ... I'd buy that.... but mid 40's is just getting started for cold/wet nasties.

all seasons means 110f to 20f for me, temp range that I typically would ride in. sorry but Motoport mesh kevlar is just not my choice at 20f.

not saying one cannot route wiring with any two piece suit... for me one piece RC is the least fussy with Gerbing jacket/pants/gloves with two zone controller.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #49
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I'd leave some money in my pocket and buy a two piece stitch suite. I love mine and though I haven't tried this Rukka stuff and I'm sure it good I just can't imagine how it could be that much better.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #50
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
My Rukka Armas are definitely not meant to be used as overpants. Like you, I use my Motoport Ultra II for that. They're more like wearing a pair of jeans. Would you put your shoes on before your jeans?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #51
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
yeah my KLIM badlands pants are not overpants.. I can wear them over a couple of levels of high tech base layer.. but even my gerbings is hard to fit under it.. when it gets into the 30's and I need heated gear, or I need to wear pants under for my destination, I put on the Aerostich Dariens. If I was going on a months long trip though..I would wear the KLIM and just deal with the slightly tight feeling that comes with wearing the Gerbings under KLIM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #52
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 10,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
I'd leave some money in my pocket and buy a two piece stitch suite. I love mine and though I haven't tried this Rukka stuff and I'm sure it good I just can't imagine how it could be that much better.
+1

I own and wear both, about 150,000 miles on both.

teens to 120 degrees.

winter and wet transitional season riding, stitch is it.
And yes they easily layer over anything. Which makes it my favorite commuting as well as travel gear.

Yes, hot hot temps it is Darian for hydration control.

The Darian light Trousers however above 80 chaffe the living shite out of my legs

Hot summer riding where I know temps are 40 plus the entire trip, and I want to be badass in black, out comes the Rukka Air Power, jacket layers well but trousers do not.

Got a Vanson Leather Perf as well. it is a day ride show piece for the vintage bikes.

Tools!

This is so individual you will never find a true winner, except for the one that fits your needs, ya got to buy it to try it.

Isaiah 55:11
" so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

gsweave screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:00 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #53
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I love my Klim gear and they stand behind their product, my vote is with them.
Kilm has a suit looks really nice for $2K. It is a little out of my budget.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530695
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote