Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #27121
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Tell him to man up and quit being a pussy.

http://almanzo.com/blog/posts/well-hello-there/

That really doesn't look like fun

I'm pretty familiar with that whole area and there isn't much flat ground.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #27122
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Suspension travel has been great, though my rear shock is at max psi and I have managed a few bottom outs off a 4' drop to ride out that is on my normal loop. Although I don't plan on buying another bike for 2-3 seasons, I'll give foes a look..
My MTB partner, who's 6'4"/~250lbs, sent his shock and fork into Fox. They revalved everything, for his weight. You just need to call them and they'll give you the details on what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
The only real issue I have is on long, intense dh runs at speed... I get a lot of lower back pain. Just comes with being a giant I guess.
I suspect it has to with your riding position, on steep downhill terrain. You're really far back, on the bike, offsetting the slope. That's partly why a DH rig is "leaned back".
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #27123
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
First ride report on the TCR:

Its like the smilie... There's an angel on one shoulder sayin 'today's an easy day' and there's a devil under me sayin 'go faster! go FASTER!'

Man does this thing shout 'go faster!'

Stiff with a capital 'if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hrs call a Dr.' 'S.'

...but there's a fly in the ointment. Its a few mm (~5mm) too high in the seatmast. I have to decide whether to stay with Bont shoes or go with something else. If I stay with the Bonts, there's a pair of Vaypors in my near future and I need to cut the seatmast.

If I go with Shimano, I have a pair of first gen Poggios I can wear till the new shoes end up in my possession and I don't have to cut the seatmast.

I don't like the way the Poggios feel any more. They used to be comfy, but the heat molding of the Bonts has spoiled me. Those Bonts fit my feet like they were custom made. ....because they were! (sorta) IDK if there's a spacer you can put under the topper 'cause I haven't actually been to a Giant dealer to discuss this. Its not like it'll be a huge amount of spacers, but... There's the old adage of 'its easier to cut it shorter later than it is to stretch it' at work.

Thoughts?

M

edited to add: pics are on the camera and I can't seem to find the cable. I'll post em up when the cable's found.

Gummee! screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 01:16 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #27124
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
I had a good CX/gravel grinder ride going today.

Saw some nice scenery.

Then the Unfortunate Incident occured.

I was less than pleased.

I really liked that derailleur. Ended up calling TheWifester for the Ride Of Shame. Looks like I'll be darkening the LBS doorway this week.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #27125
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
That really doesn't look like fun

I'm pretty familiar with that whole area and there isn't much flat ground.
Real conversation after the race today.

Askel's 6yo Nephew: "Did you win?"

Askel: "No"

Nephew: "Then why do you do it?"

Askel: "Because it's fun!"

Nephew: "How?"

Askel: "Uhhhhhhhhhh......"
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #27126
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,953
Went riding at a trail system outside of Atlanta today. About 10 miles into it, I got behind a racer on a brand spanking new Scott Scale carbon 29er. Followed him for maybe 100 yards and his bike started making an awful squeaking sound. After checking over the bike, we discovered his bottom bracket literally locked up. He just got the bike today and this was it's maiden ride. He said he bought a bike shop last October so he wouldn't have to spend so much money on bikes. Poor guy had a long walk back to the parking lot.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #27127
Askel
Perma-n00b

Watching RAGBRAI route announcement party tonight.

Apparently they've decided to make more time for boozing and cut out a lot of that pesky riding.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #27128
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Someone remind me to not kvetch if its above 40deg out, wouldya?

After riding in the teens and 20s for the last week, 40-ish feels absolutely balmy. Still chilly, but not 'cold.'

2 ish hrs on the FTB with road wheels on it. Believe it or not, its a smoother ride than the TCR. ...despite the HUGE fork, downtube, and etc.

M
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #27129
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,723
My neice told me about this. Goes through Des Moines. I'll have to wait and see a bit before I know what is what that time of year. I won't have a lot of riding under my belt since I'll mostly be running.
Could be a good fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Watching RAGBRAI route announcement party tonight.

Apparently they've decided to make more time for boozing and cut out a lot of that pesky riding.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #27130
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Woke up this morning and thought "B screw.". If this is set too far in, it'll actually unwrap the chain from the cog. The smaller the cog, the less teeth engaged, and the more apt for the chain to skip. Generally, ~5mm is the gap you want from the derailluer pulley to the smallest cog. However, you can adjust this tighter, so long as pulley doesn't get into any of the cogs and it still shifts fine. Experiment with this setting, by backing it out.
A number of people mentioned that possibility at the outset. Numerous adjustments have been made, all to little avail. The most irritating thing about this is that every 'fix' seems to work for a short time. Just as I think, 'Aha, that did the trick!,' it starts giving me problems again. One shop thought the rear derailleur might even be bent. They realigned it, but the problem persists. At this point I don't know what else can be done that hasn't already been tried. Fortunately the bike is less than a year old, so all the work is being done under warranty.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #27131
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My neice told me about this. Goes through Des Moines. I'll have to wait and see a bit before I know what is what that time of year. I won't have a lot of riding under my belt since I'll mostly be running.
Could be a good fit.
I seem to have been invited to join a new team.

http://offtrackevents.com/teamska.php

Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #27132
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,723
I went for a run with my nieces. Never run with twenty-something women. They made me work too hard, but I got them slowed down a good bit by the end.

I am fairly certain I'll be moving a bit slow come morning. Oh, and when we hit the road it was raining, warm it stopped.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #27133
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
I'm doing some shopping for FS xc 29er rigs - any input/advice?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #27134
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
I'm doing some shopping for FS xc 29er rigs - any input/advice?
I've been partial to either the FSR or Anthems.

...but ya gotta try em and see which YOU like better.

M
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #27135
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've been partial to either the FSR or Anthems.

...but ya gotta try em and see which YOU like better.

M
So far I've ridden Tallboy, Scalpel, Superfly 100 Elite, Spearfish, and looked at a few others. Scalpel stands out so far.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: