Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #61
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
how many multistradas have sold again? and why, exactly, are bikes like the versys 650 and 1k not enough like a multistrada?
you're talking like the big four are hurting - they aren't.
how many multistradas have sold again?
Might have been more if it was made by Honda and cost less. Maybe the Honda version would have 90% of the Ducati performance. I could live with that.

and why, exactly, are bikes like the versys 650 and 1k not enough like a multistrada?
More than double the hp of the 650 should make a difference.
Versys 1000 is not sold in US, but if it was, that would be a big step in the right direction. My personal taste is for vee twins though.

Right. What I meant is that as the motorcycle market in the US (slowly) transforms from cruisers and sportbikes to adventure style bikes, buyers are going to Euro bikes because the big four still focus on selling sportbikes and cruisers. The hurt is riders like me that are disgusted with Suzuki still selling a V-Strom 1000 that has not been improved in 11 years.
coast range rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
cb4017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I too agree with the original poster. Over the years there have been several bikes I've been interested in that were not available here.

I'm in the market for a bike now. I don't care for HD/cruisers. Don't like sport bikes or land barges. I've been lusting for a Versys 1000 since they came out but can't buy one. If I buy anything else I'll just be settling for something I don't really want. For now, my money is staying in my pocket.
I was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
cb4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #63
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I just scanned this thread and thought I'd add that a lot of it is the complex government regulations, import taxes, DOT certifications, cost of making a model for US market versus for the rest of the world, etc. Why was the Super Tenere slow getting here? Had to make a US Spec version. Takes time, money, and if they aren't guaranteed to sell enough to recoup that added costs, then why do it? (Transalp)

I do love my Tiger 800XC!
You really think that the Euro certifications are more permissives?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #64
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,565
Reading this thread reminds me of similar threads in the early days of ADVrider where I to drooled over some of the Euro bikes that we couldn't get here.

My first "adventure bike" was a modded KLR, not just because it was a great compromise of performance vs reliability and ability to get about anywhere, but because simply the options were so slim. It was pretty much the GS, a KLR, a DR or modify a thumper of choice. There was no KTM twin, Triumph wasn't on the map (for ADV bikes) the 800 class didn't exist and forget about the Japanese offerings. The strom was emerging as a road option, but it to took a few years to build any steam. Many consider the TDM 850 I had at the time an ADV bike, but I just thought it was a good real world street bike that got no respect at the local hangouts.

Look at where we are now. I was reflecting on this a year ago when I was deciding between my Tenere and an Explorer and I remember thinking how funny it was that there was this agonizing decision I had to make because there were so many new bikes I like, where just a few years earlier we were hanging onto any trace of even a rumor of something new to the scene.

So yeah I'd like all the options we can get to, but we have it pretty good right now.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #65
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Right. What I meant is that as the motorcycle market in the US (slowly) transforms from cruisers and sportbikes to adventure style bikes, buyers are going to Euro bikes because the big four still focus on selling sportbikes and cruisers. The hurt is riders like me that are disgusted with Suzuki still selling a V-Strom 1000 that has not been improved in 11 years.
The problem is you can still find '12 teneres, stroms, and nc700x's on dealer floors. If non euro bikes in this class sold better, I think the versys 1k would have been here from the get-go.

The big four are only bringing bikes in that Americans are buying. Practical bikes just don't sell well here, and I agree that's a shame. However, the selection is still pretty damn good.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #66
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 947
Bleedgrn, you have an L2, not a K12. K series Suzukis run from 2000 to 2009. Then the L0 starts in 2010 to L9 in 2019.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #67
bleedgrn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Bleedgrn, you have an L2, not a K12. K series Suzukis run from 2000 to 2009. Then the L0 starts in 2010 to L9 in 2019.
You are correct, I changed my signature. Thanks for the reminder. It is nice to see some constructive comments made about the mid size Adventure offerings. I to like the Tenere but found it more bike than I wanted. The L2 Glee fit my requirements to a point. I found it interesting all the interest in the Multistrada models. Never owned a Ducati for the reason that they were/are expensive to purchase and own. I am finding the accesories for the Glee to be reasonable and well constructed. Surprised how many accesories are available since it is a new model. Anyway, thought I should comment. Only 1000ft of riding since new. Roads are iced and slick. Waiting for spring.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #68
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I live in Canada, so it is not fair for me to comment on what the USA allows into her boarders. Canada though allows many bikes into our world so long as that meet the North American standerd of safety and the emissions, so there are a few units that don't make it up here either, but we do have a good selection of units.

I like what one brother said, and that was to build what we need. Both of my bikes are new, and I own them out right, so now it's up to me to really make them mine by changing this, and changing that.

Bike 1................................................. Bike 2

Suzuki V Strom 650..........................Suzuki DRZ 400 S
Heidenau Scout tires........................Sedona Knobbie's
GPS System......................................GPS System
Hard Case Side Boxes....................Soft Moto Land
Seat.............................................. .......Fuel Tank
Givi Wind Screen...............................MDR Muffler
Air Pillow............................................ .Air Pillow
Fork Brace..........................................JD Carb Kit
Handle Bar..........................................Riser Back Rack
Trottle Lock..........................................Lowe ring Link
Driving Lights......................................Beer Cooler
80% hyw's............................................5 0% hyw's
20% Dry Gravel...................................Roads 50 % Cut Lines
500 LBS............................................... 330 LBS with 6 beers
Clean Shinny Black.............................Messed Up Dirty Black
Fun to Drive Every Where..................Fun to Drive Where I Should'en Be

As time goes by, both of these bikes will see some changes here, and some changes there. I'm glad that "It's Just Not A Bike," said this, and I hope the have some fun riding them, and changing the stuff that needs changing so that both of these bikes represent me. If I can't buy what I want, then I will build what I need !!!

From Flash Gordon in Western Canada

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 09:38 PM
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #69
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Crazy to me they don't offer the KRL650 for sale over there??? Maybe there's not enough cheapskates in England?!! LOL
You need dirt trails to ride. Most of their bikes are road bikes.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #70
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
The hurt is riders like me that are disgusted with Suzuki still selling a V-Strom 1000 that has not been improved in 11 years.
Suzuki has been hurting bad they last 4-5 years, there more worried about just keeping the lights on right now...
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #71
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I like what It'sNotTheBike said. If we really want what we want, then we need to build it, and I'm not waiting to fine the right bike, so I bought 2 units to get things started. I drove both bikes, and the one that I like the most is going under the knife.

I thought the Adverture V Strom 650 was going to be the unit to modify, but it ended up being the little DRZ 400. Light, durable, and super fun to operate. I did the stage one power kit that really opened up the fun factor of power, and there are 3 more stages to go if I need more !!! I'm taking my time sizing up the rest of the add-ons, so I don't end up wasting funds, and I except the DRZ for what it is.

Someone said on one of the posted above mine, "It's not the best off roader, and it's not the best hyw unit either, but it is every thing I want !!!" This is so true when it comes to what we want.

The old saying that some put up, is a old one from the dirty thirty's. "Feel sorry for a man with no shoes, until you meet a man with no feet !!!.

And that is a yes to the Suzuki thing. They shut down the car market in Canada and maybe in the USA, so this coast them big time. Most manufactors are gambling on weather to re-tool or not, and maybe Honda and BMW are on to something, but I don't know much about this either.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:39 PM
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #72
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
how many multistradas have sold again?
and why, exactly, are bikes like the versys 650 and 1k not enough like a multistrada?
More than double the hp of the 650 should make a difference.
Versys 1000 is not sold in US, but if it was, that would be a big step in the right direction. My personal taste is for vee twins though.
The Versys 1k was the only Big Four bike I'd been waiting for - and now it's not coming - which might be just as well since it may have ended up too expensive anyway.

From Desert Dave:
Quote:
Look at where we are now. I was reflecting on this a year ago when I was deciding between my Tenere and an Explorer and I remember thinking how funny it was that there was this agonizing decision I had to make because there were so many new bikes I like, where just a few years earlier we were hanging onto any trace of even a rumor of something new to the scene.
Well said - we don't get as many models as other countries sometimes, but the US Adv market has really opened up. I hope the models sell and this doesn't end poorly - I'd like to see practical bikes being ridden... and available at nice, low, used prices.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #73
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Amazing! Buyers in the US are offered adventure bike singles, twins, triples, and fours; ranging from 250 to 1300+ cc; configured as parallel, horizontally opposed, and Vs; inline and perpendicular; with carburetors and fuel injection; with chain and shaft drives; with and without electronic wizardry such as anti-lock brakes, traction control, & active suspension; coming from Europe and Asia; running the gamut from offroad race-ready, street legal, long distance dirt bikes to RTW & adventure-ready track day tools; ranging from $5,000 to $20,000+; offered with and without factory luggage, fairings, and heated grips; and you are actually complaining that we have a poor selection????? Really?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:55 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #74
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
I don't have their sales numbers but I do know that the number one selling bike in the U.S. is the KLR 650. I would have bought this bike if it was a twin.
Wow! Kawasaki will be surprised to hear that!! They've consistently reported that their #1 selling bike is the Ninja 250R. Some poor inventory analyst is going to have to commit seppuku over this snafu...
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #75
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
This should not be the case in one of the largest marketplaces in the world.
Except we aren't one of the largest marketplaces in the world, at least not for motorcycles. The US motorcycle market peaked in 2005 with sales of 1.1 million units. World motorcycle production is more than 50 million units.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant though!
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote