ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #12841
ungeheuer
DRongo
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
I hope you rang and told Safari Tanks about your issues before posting on a world forum. I for one have 3 Safari Tanks for different bikes and I could not be happier with their product and service. Safari has always been professional in all regards.
Glad you're happy with your Safari purchases. Maybe I just expect too much. When I called Safari the day I received this tank to voice my concerns directly to them, they kinda indicated that they thought I was expecting too much for my $700. Its not that it doesnt do its job, just that I find it intrusive and for the original purchase price not even close to the quality expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I can understand where your coming from but even though I've wrestled with mine, I still love the practical 750km plus per tank . Apart from the maintenance inconvenience (pain the freakin' arse), I think its quite robustly made and no real adverse effects when filled with fuel.

Yup, the Safari sure does hold a lot of fuel. And thats why they keep selling. If you need the fuel capacity, there's no competition.
__________________
2010 Suzuki DR650SE
2009 Ducati M1100s
ungeheuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #12842
duckslider
decelpoppin
 
duckslider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Home of the Chiko.
Oddometer: 2,979
rear mitas e07 worn down to rib on mighty Black Pearl.only 5000k.
Thinkin' 'bout a mefo explorer.any dr riders usin' one?
read 'bout a bloke gettin' 18000ks+ outta one
__________________
Part of an Internet Forum ''Gang'' of Cyber Punks...........apparently.
2010 DR650(Black Pearl) and 2007 CT110.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #12843
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer
 
Sleepy John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Bris Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
rear mitas e07 worn down to rib on mighty Black Pearl.only 5000k.
Thinkin' 'bout a mefo explorer.any dr riders usin' one?
read 'bout a bloke gettin' 18000ks+ outta one
5000k on the rear tyre? I'd be happy with that.
SJ
__________________
Sleepy John
'10 R1200GSA Big Pig, '10 DR650SE Piglet
Don't shoot... It's only me!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #12844
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
rear mitas e07 worn down to rib on mighty Black Pearl.only 5000k.
Thinkin' 'bout a mefo explorer.any dr riders usin' one?
read 'bout a bloke gettin' 18000ks+ outta one
I haven't been running one but would be interested to see what others have to say and where to buy online.

I thought 5,000km was a bit crappy and seems to be what I've been getting, so something with a bit more longevity would be nice.

__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #12845
woopwoop
will think for food
 
woopwoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Gympie-ympie-ympie-ie-ie-e
Oddometer: 5,238
I've gained the impression that the blokes who report high mileage out of a Mitas E07 don't regard the middle rib as the end of it's life but rather the halfway point.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #12846
snatchy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Nth East OZ
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Glad you're happy with your Safari purchases. Maybe I just expect too much. When I called Safari the day I received this tank to voice my concerns directly to them, they kinda indicated that they thought I was expecting too much for my $700. Its not that it doesnt do its job, just that I find it intrusive and for the original purchase price not even close to the quality expected.

Yup, the Safari sure does hold a lot of fuel. And thats why they keep selling. If you need the fuel capacity, there's no competition.
I agree with the poor fit, but when you want to carry plenty of fuel you need to make it work. I rang them to discuss what was going on, and they suggest that the tank swells and contracts with fuel and heat. That is fine (i don't agree this was the issue), but doesn't help at all when you need to get the bloody thing back on after getting to the carb or to fix a trailside issue.

To make it a normal operation to attach and remove i did a few things after reading them on the internet somewhere);
- the crappy foam that sits between the tank and framerail was squashed flat in 1 month (wtf is with this choice of material?), such that the cross brace was touching the cooling fins on the engine. Replaced crappy foam with many layers of rubber from an old inner tube.
- the two round rubber things on the frame that locate the tank needed to be trimmed about 1 or 2cm so the tank could slide forwards more - and then the two rear bolts that go through the tank and into the frame now line up with only a small amount of pushing. It was so tight before this mod that the rubber grommets that the bolts go through are permantly deformed and the threads of the bolts in the frame are stuffed.
- The front cross brace need to be remade since the front of the tank now sits more forward. A new brace with the holes about 20mm forward.

After this the tank goes on and off fine.
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #12847
FJRthommo
Anti social ranga
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
I've gained the impression that the blokes who report high mileage out of a Mitas E07 don't regard the middle rib as the end of it's life but rather the halfway point.

Pretty much how I run the e07
__________________
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or root it...

Piss on it and walk away
FJRthommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #12848
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer
 
Sleepy John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Bris Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchy View Post
I agree with the poor fit, but when you want to carry plenty of fuel you need to make it work. I rang them to discuss what was going on, and they suggest that the tank swells and contracts with fuel and heat. That is fine (i don't agree this was the issue), but doesn't help at all when you need to get the bloody thing back on after getting to the carb or to fix a trailside issue.

To make it a normal operation to attach and remove i did a few things after reading them on the internet somewhere);
- the crappy foam that sits between the tank and framerail was squashed flat in 1 month (wtf is with this choice of material?), such that the cross brace was touching the cooling fins on the engine. Replaced crappy foam with many layers of rubber from an old inner tube.
- the two round rubber things on the frame that locate the tank needed to be trimmed about 1 or 2cm so the tank could slide forwards more - and then the two rear bolts that go through the tank and into the frame now line up with only a small amount of pushing. It was so tight before this mod that the rubber grommets that the bolts go through are permantly deformed and the threads of the bolts in the frame are stuffed.
- The front cross brace need to be remade since the front of the tank now sits more forward. A new brace with the holes about 20mm forward.

After this the tank goes on and off fine.
If the oil cooler bracket has taken a knock at some time and has been bent back , it will be a prick of a task to fit the safari tank.

SJ
__________________
Sleepy John
'10 R1200GSA Big Pig, '10 DR650SE Piglet
Don't shoot... It's only me!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #12849
duckslider
decelpoppin
 
duckslider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Home of the Chiko.
Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I haven't been running one but would be interested to see what others have to say and where to buy online.

I thought 5,000km was a bit crappy and seems to be what I've been getting, so something with a bit more longevity would be nice.

G'day Thumper Dan.........the mefo explorers look chunky
but as for longevity
__________________
Part of an Internet Forum ''Gang'' of Cyber Punks...........apparently.
2010 DR650(Black Pearl) and 2007 CT110.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #12850
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad
 
Eddywoodgo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: where ever I put up my Bivie
Oddometer: 992
Guess I'm a DR rider now.
Just done a 2000KM ride and love it. Reminds me of a Donkey.
[IMG][/IMG]
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #12851
dobbo
Studly Adventurer
 
dobbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Riverina
Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
I've gained the impression that the blokes who report high mileage out of a Mitas E07 don't regard the middle rib as the end of it's life but rather the halfway point.

Yep, that would be me

I have gone well beyond the centre strip, and reckon I've got around 10k on it now. As long as I have 1.5mm of tread depth left on the contact surface I should be right, and as these tyres tend to wear flat, I reckon that gives me atleast 3" of contact surface at minimum.
I have inspected the tyre more closely, and found some wear markers to the side of the centre strip at 3 different points.
just my thoughts.
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #12852
nazza
Trouble
 
nazza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast
Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
rear mitas e07 worn down to rib on mighty Black Pearl.only 5000k.
Thinkin' 'bout a mefo explorer.any dr riders usin' one?
read 'bout a bloke gettin' 18000ks+ outta one
I am pretty certain that I got 15000 out of the one I had replaced at Port Augusta last year. But then I ride like a girl
__________________
dr650: Charlie
My Adventure Riding Blog | Adventure Riders Blogs |
nazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #12853
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Frankston
Oddometer: 421
Dobbo also rides like a girl

bb
bbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #12854
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
rear mitas e07 worn down to rib on mighty Black Pearl.only 5000k.
Thinkin' 'bout a mefo explorer.any dr riders usin' one?
read 'bout a bloke gettin' 18000ks+ outta one
There's another 2,000km once you hit the rib.
I get 12-15,000km from them.

Got another 1,000km from this one...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #12855
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Brisvegas, Northside
Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
Guess I'm a DR rider now.
Just done a 2000KM ride and love it. Reminds me of a Donkey.
[IMG][/IMG]
Couple of nice looking setups there Eddy.
When does the big adventure begin?
__________________
You think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an Amateur!
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014