Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #52486
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I understand it was/is frustrating. I forget exactly but when a year or two ago you started having problems I offered to troubleshoot it for you if you wanted to bring it up here, but you were good. Remember that? I am glad you lived, but unclear on what you learned. . Are you saying it's starting and running well now, and that it was the switch the whole time, that you thought it tested good but must have had some error in your testing procedure?
Yes, it's running now and no, it wasn't error in my testing. It was a sporadic spark problem that would clear up and work fine...sometimes within seconds of not working and vise verse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF
So far my method of cleaning the kill button is to cycle it a few times with the power on.
Got news for ya...that method didn't help one bit, was one of the very first things I tried(cleaning the switch and cycling the switch) and is now proven to not work all the time.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:19 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #52487
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
If you're sitting around trying to figure out what to do.... And you fingers aren't gonna get frostbit...
Otherwise, it's easy to troubleshoot and easy to bypass.
Yep, bypass.
No problem, then fix later.

I have to remove the switch to disassemble it. Therefore, I can work on the switch inside my home; there's no need to freeze. Also, I believe in preventive maintenance. Therefore, I think it's probably a good idea to give this switch a thorough cleaning every other year or so.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #52488
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone have the link that was posted awhile back regarding the Easton handlebars that were on sale real cheap? I just spent damn near an hour(that I'll never get back ) looking for the link. I know it's a long shot but are they still on sale? I'd like to get another set of bars. Any other sales links for 1 1/8' handlebars would be much appreciated!

Man this thread moves fast!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #52489
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
As of right now the $30.00 sale on the 1 3/8"Easton EXP handlebar kit with adapters/risers is still going on.

Get them while you can. Bar selection is getting limited...

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/ea...s-and-controls

A big thanks goes to "3girlsdad" for the tip.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #52490
SmokeBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBike View Post
Howdy...

Has anyone done this conversion ? I love juice clutches and have a complete assembly.

That said ... how does one mount the piston to the engine case ? Looking for suggestions on what I should fabricate..

thanx for the help
bump
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #52491
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBike View Post
Howdy...

Has anyone done this conversion ? I love juice clutches and have a complete assembly.

That said ... how does one mount the piston to the engine case ? Looking for suggestions on what I should fabricate..

thanx for the help
This evening I found a thread on the Magura clutch coversion over at Thumpertalk.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...ch-conversion/

I don't know anything about this topic. However, you might want to join the conversation at Thumpertalk.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #52492
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post

Thank you!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #52493
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
Went to a biker build off yesterday that a friend of mine had entered a beautiful 68 Honda 350. It was mostly a HD event, but one guy had built an "interesting" Yamaha dirt bike. Said it was scary on the road, but not bad in grass...
What do you think?

I want to see Thump N Red take him up into the Boise foothills.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #52494
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
[QUOTE=flyingwombat;20584344]Yes I have my spacer, gotta pick up some longer bolts for it. I used a throttle from a 96 XR600R, I think they are probably all the same, not sure though. I like it because it has a pulley on the pull cable for super smooth operation, and it's much easier to reassemble.

What a bitch the stock throttle assembly is to reassemble.

If you use it, the start/kill switch will not fit. I used a Highway Dirtbikes switch perch mount, which is a thing of beauty. I had to file a bit of material off the corner to clear that stupid banjo bolt brake switch, but no big deal. I used a normally closed momentary pushbutton for the kill button and a normally open momentary pushbutton for the starter, got them both from Digikey (HDB has the pushbuttons also but I don't think he has a normally closed one listed on his site). Luckily I have a long thumb for reaching those buttons. The perch switch mount can also be mounted the other way so the switches are closer to your hand, but you will probably need a longer brake lever in that configuration.

The easiest thing to do would be to have Motion Pro make some cables for the XRL throttle. For me, the custom cables were a good excuse to swap on the XR600 throttle which I have been looking to do for a while. I also eliminated a whole bunch of redundant wire, connectors, and splices up front.

Oh, I installed an OEM CRF450X front brake hose today- it's about 6 inches longer than the CRF450R hose and looks like it will work great. I added grip heaters too.

Here's what it looks like (without cables):

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]Thanks for the input. I think initially I'll make the stockers,work with some help from motion pro [/COLOR]
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #52495
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
What a bitch the stock throttle assembly is to reassemble.
X2. I reassemble the throttle assembly as best I can. Next I remove both throttle cables at the carburetor. Then I re-attach both throttle cables at the carburetor, and the throttle operates properly. Is there an easier method? Thankfully, I only needed to fiddle with the throttle assembly when I installed my grip heaters.

Spud
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #52496
PSLbud
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
$1500 a year!?!?

I don't even pay that much a year for full coverage on my truck and wife's suv, and my bike combined! My bike insurance is $85 a year, and I just got my street endorsement in July.
Hmmm, that didn't make me feel any better. Thirty years clean driving and I pay $1300/yr for full coverage on an 07 Ram. Man, Canada really blows when it comes to insurance!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #52497
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
A few pictures from last summers vacation.

Mt Rushmore

Devil' Tower

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #52498
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Alberta

Prince of Wales Hotel, Waterton Lakes National Park

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #52499
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLbud View Post
Hmmm, that didn't make me feel any better. Thirty years clean driving and I pay $1300/yr for full coverage on an 07 Ram. Man, Canada really blows when it comes to insurance!!!
Just be glad you're not in Europe if $1300/yr is bugging you. I've only got 15 years clean driving, but they're quite happy to take upwards of $4k per year from me to insure my car and XRL! Then again, they way they drive here in Belgium I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #52500
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,477
Nice shots Walter, thanks for sharing!