User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Brief airhead gearbox survey

For those of you so endowed past or present i am interested in your findings with the gearboxes to see if what I experience is normal.

1st to 2nd clunky - patience & a firm lift is required.
2nd to 3rd clunkyish but not as bad as 1st to 2nd.
3-4-5 smooth as silk(ish)

Downshifting
3rd to 2nd - throttle blip needed
2nd to 1st - low revs, (wince) firm push (slight graunch) (wince again)

1st-neutral when cold ok

2nd or 1st - neutral when hot & stopped at lites: 2-1-2-1-2 clutch out a bit to test if in neut- stall- rock bike & notch into neutral - start bike again- wait for next change of lites & don't look at rear view mirror.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
They say most gearbox issues are due to the clutch ( on Brit bikes). R65 was 'catching' between gears, clutch only took up when lever nearly released.....new clutch, takes up real early, way better but still a BMW box.....three shafts....
Put it up on the mainstand ( or axle stands) put it in gear pull in the clutch...rotate the wheel..see if you have drag...... drag is bad. I found this even with new clutch, had to adjust lever arm a bit more.

Voltaire screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:38 PM Reason: korecting spullin
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
They say most gearbox issues are due to the clutch.
Also don't expect Japanese bike smoothness in changes.

Matching revs to changes - Its is a skill you have to master. Try changing gears without the clutch for a while. They are a crash box.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,209
The R65 is a very much better box than in the R60/5 I had, that bike confirmed everything I'd heard about BMW gear changes. After so many years of wet clutch bikes that get hard to find neutral when hot, and clunk into gear when cold (apart from British bikes and the XS650 where you can free the clutch in neutral) I find the dry clutch bliss - it just slips into 1st hot or cold. After I lubed the splines 5th became a little sticky on upshifts, but hardly noticeable really. Thrashing full throttle redline 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd upshifts are full of gnashing gears, same with those shifts wheelspinning on gravel. My XLV750 was exactly the same on those shifts - so were they copying BMW for Paris/Dakar, or Harley Davidson for flattrack ?

I'm using Fuchs GL5 75/80 synthetic at the moment, don't notice any difference from dyno EP90. 75/85 in gearbox and drive shaft, EP90 in final drive. One day I might use the 75/80 in the final drive, it's GL5 so shouldn't be a problem....might get a 0.2% improvement in fuel economy.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
compared to just about every bike i have the r100 has an "agricultural " g box.most of the time the higher gears shift very well up or down,Sometimes it sublime.Dont have any more trouble with finding neutral than any other bike.Down shift inf to the lower gears ussualy requires quite precise speed matching and if a shift to first or second is required it ussually requires a BIG blip of the throttle.But again i often get very smooth shifts(but often dont)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
my gspd has a better change than my k12s
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Yep, same as mine. Never liked the shifting, you get used to how to shift it smoothly. I haven't ridden mine for quite some time but as I remember it you almost hesitate halfway through the first to second shift and you can't rush second to third and you can't just bang it down the gears either. Third to fourth and fifth are sweet. Would be interesting to see if they can be made better ?
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 149
when i first got mine i seemed to have a neutral between each gear, so i got new bearings fitted, gears undercut,blah blah..............
when all said and done........ not much better, now it changes better in "race" or angry mode, mainly find neut when trying to ride "sensibly"

must admit thou, anything would seem agricultural after my guzzi, i'll quote from the Lemans manual-

"We remind that this model, due to it's exceptional peculiarities, is almost a RACING BIKE requiring a sport riding"

endith the quote.......

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Hmmm, I'm not sure that I can help, coz I can't remember what my CBX250RS was like. Only non-airhead I've ever had...
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,209
My XS1 was so bad that one day my wife was riding it somewhere, and I got the call to bring the trailer. She'd got to a set of lights, stopped in 1st and tried to get neutral, and stripped the gearlever splines. I forgot to tell her to select neutral before she stopped - having had several Triumphs, you'd think she'd know better....and I knew better than to tell her that.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
I have to say the R90 racebike box is fine as I only change up on redline 7500 and down with a blip on the throttle.the big improvement was made in 1981 when they ditched the heavy flywheel and improved the clutch actuator.
Maxheadroom's R90s is really nice to ride as he has improved the gearbox ......for starters it has a small bearing instead of a nylon selector thingy... and some polished bits.
As BOB's said try matching the speeds of the engine with the box for smoother shifts.
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
Russ

Oddometer: 14,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
1st to 2nd clunky - patience & a firm lift is required. Not sure about firm rather a longer lift like you need to lift it through neutral
2nd to 3rd clunkyish but not as bad as 1st to 2nd. Yep
3-4-5 smooth as silk(ish) Yep

Downshifting
3rd to 2nd - throttle blip needed On both My R100's no throttle needed
2nd to 1st - low revs, (wince) firm push (slight graunch) (wince again) Small throttle blip helps a lot no graunch

1st-neutral when cold ok Yep

2nd or 1st - neutral when hot & stopped at lites: 2-1-2-1-2 clutch out a bit to test if in neut- stall- rock bike & notch into neutral - start bike again- wait for next change of lites & don't look at rear view mirror. Nope small increase in revs and it should be easy

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
For those of you so endowed past or present i am interested in your findings with the gearboxes to see if what I experience is normal.

1st to 2nd clunky - patience & a firm lift is required.
2nd to 3rd clunkyish but not as bad as 1st to 2nd.
3-4-5 smooth as silk(ish)

Downshifting
3rd to 2nd - throttle blip needed
2nd to 1st - low revs, (wince) firm push (slight graunch) (wince again)

1st-neutral when cold ok

2nd or 1st - neutral when hot & stopped at lites: 2-1-2-1-2 clutch out a bit to test if in neut- stall- rock bike & notch into neutral - start bike again- wait for next change of lites & don't look at rear view mirror.

Sounds pretty much correct, except a smooth shift from second into first can be made if you double clutch. Into neutral, clutch out, slight rise in revs, ease clutch in, and with pressure on the lever, it should easily slip into first.

Over the years, I have found that no matter what BMW claim to have done to make the gear changing easier, things have been basically the same from my R60/6 in 1976 to my 1100GS. Sometimes you jag it and everything is smooth, or it's a case of " good job they're in a box and not a paper bag".

Having said all that, I have never used a gearbox as smooth and as light as that in my R100GS build; attention to detail does pay off.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,437
Shifting the lower gears has been hit and miss for me as well. But I sometimes have the impression that bad shifting has a compounding effect. A sloppy shift might set you up for a bad shift next time. The R80G/S I had shifted better than my R80GS. Shifting gears is nothing dirty, people are allowed to hear it.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Shifting gears is nothing dirty, people are allowed to hear it.

Thank you fellows for your input. it sounds like my experience is reasonably consistent with most of yous.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote