User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 516 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #27016
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Someone remind me to not kvetch if its above 40deg out, wouldya?

After riding in the teens and 20s for the last week, 40-ish feels absolutely balmy. Still chilly, but not 'cold.'

2 ish hrs on the FTB with road wheels on it. Believe it or not, its a smoother ride than the TCR. ...despite the HUGE fork, downtube, and etc.

M
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #27017
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
My neice told me about this. Goes through Des Moines. I'll have to wait and see a bit before I know what is what that time of year. I won't have a lot of riding under my belt since I'll mostly be running.
Could be a good fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Watching RAGBRAI route announcement party tonight.

Apparently they've decided to make more time for boozing and cut out a lot of that pesky riding.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #27018
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Woke up this morning and thought "B screw.". If this is set too far in, it'll actually unwrap the chain from the cog. The smaller the cog, the less teeth engaged, and the more apt for the chain to skip. Generally, ~5mm is the gap you want from the derailluer pulley to the smallest cog. However, you can adjust this tighter, so long as pulley doesn't get into any of the cogs and it still shifts fine. Experiment with this setting, by backing it out.
A number of people mentioned that possibility at the outset. Numerous adjustments have been made, all to little avail. The most irritating thing about this is that every 'fix' seems to work for a short time. Just as I think, 'Aha, that did the trick!,' it starts giving me problems again. One shop thought the rear derailleur might even be bent. They realigned it, but the problem persists. At this point I don't know what else can be done that hasn't already been tried. Fortunately the bike is less than a year old, so all the work is being done under warranty.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #27019
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My neice told me about this. Goes through Des Moines. I'll have to wait and see a bit before I know what is what that time of year. I won't have a lot of riding under my belt since I'll mostly be running.
Could be a good fit.
I seem to have been invited to join a new team.

http://offtrackevents.com/teamska.php

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #27020
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
I went for a run with my nieces. Never run with twenty-something women. They made me work too hard, but I got them slowed down a good bit by the end.

I am fairly certain I'll be moving a bit slow come morning. Oh, and when we hit the road it was raining, warm it stopped.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #27021
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I'm doing some shopping for FS xc 29er rigs - any input/advice?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #27022
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
I've been partial to either the FSR or Anthems.

...but ya gotta try em and see which YOU like better.

M
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #27023
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've been partial to either the FSR or Anthems.

...but ya gotta try em and see which YOU like better.

M
So far I've ridden Tallboy, Scalpel, Superfly 100 Elite, Spearfish, and looked at a few others. Scalpel stands out so far.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #27024
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
So far I've ridden Tallboy, Scalpel, Superfly 100 Elite, Spearfish, and looked at a few others. Scalpel stands out so far.
is this for Trail, XC, all mountain freestyle, or DH ?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #27025
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
is this for Trail, XC, all mountain freestyle, or DH ?
Skipped the 'XC' in his post, huh?

M
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #27026
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I seem to have been invited to join a new team.

http://offtrackevents.com/teamska.php

This is going on, in their area. You gonna' be there?

Quote:
Quote:
Add Specialized Epic, Giant Anthem, Santa Cruz Superlight (more appropriate than Tallboy), Niner Jet 9, and Rocky Mountain Element.

You may have a look around MTBR.com. Though, I don't care too much what the general forums have to say, as I don't know the person doing the review. As "Gummee!" said, you gotta' ride some bikes and pick what appeals to you.

You may consider a 650b/27.5" wheel size. They seem to be gaining momentum as offering the best of 26" and 29er.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #27027
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
My MTB partner, who's 6'4"/~250lbs, sent his shock and fork into Fox. They revalved everything, for his weight. You just need to call them and they'll give you the details on what to do.

I suspect it has to with your riding position, on steep downhill terrain. You're really far back, on the bike, offsetting the slope. That's partly why a DH rig is "leaned back".

I'm thinking about doing the same in sending my suspension into Fox or I also hear Push can do a great job as well. Do you have an idea off hand of what your friend paid? I think I'm still so amazed by my Giant that I don't really yet realize any shortcomings in the suspension; for 99% of the terrain I ride, the suspension is flawless. This bike continues to be my all time favorite purchase.

I agree my riding position is probably doing it. I'm sure there are faster people here than I am, but I do ride very aggresively on downhill runs. I try to keep the tires off the ground as much as I can. I'll take some lower back pain if it means having 5-10 minutes of bliss.

Short list before this season is new platform pedals, a tuneup, lightweight full face helmet and maybe a dropper post... maybe. I think I'm going to sport a full face for a majority of my rides next season. I narrowly escaped eating a rock last summer, and the deductible on my dental plan is high.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #27028
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I'm thinking about doing the same in sending my suspension into Fox or I also hear Push can do a great job as well. Do you have an idea off hand of what your friend paid? I think I'm still so amazed by my Giant that I don't really yet realize any shortcomings in the suspension; for 99% of the terrain I ride, the suspension is flawless. This bike continues to be my all time favorite purchase..
He broke his Gary Fisher HiMod Pro. Trek replaced it with a Fuel. Unfortunately, that platform is terrible for big dudes. Also, the fork offsets are different between the two bikes. Fox did what they could with the shock and he had the crowns swapped, valving changed, and upgraded to 15mm. I have no idea what a basic service and revalve would cost. I'd just call them. Furthermore, there's nothing like having the maufacturer do the work. You know it'll be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I think I'm going to sport a full face for a majority of my rides next season. I narrowly escaped eating a rock last summer, and the deductible on my dental plan is high.
You only have one set of teeth. Look after 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #27029
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
He broke his Gary Fisher HiMod Pro. Trek replaced it with a Fuel. Unfortunately, that platform is terrible for big dudes. Also, the fork offsets are different between the two bikes. Fox did what they could with the shock and he had the crowns swapped, valving changed, and upgraded to 15mm. I have no idea what a basic service and revalve would cost. I'd just call them. Furthermore, there's nothing like having the maufacturer do the work. You know it'll be right.

You only have one set of teeth. Look after 'em.

Absolutely. Good to know about Fox - I'll call them and report here what the cost should be in case any of you are looking at the same thing.

As an aside; I've heard of more Gary Fischer/Trek frames breaking than any other brand. I have no idea if there's any validity in that or not, but I personally know of 4 riders around here who have broken Trek/GF frames, one being an old, sort of fat (super nice) hippy dude who rides slow, while high as a kite listening to his Dead tunes. He's broken 2 fuel frames.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #27030
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
This is going on, in their area. You gonna' be there?

Sadly, have to be at another event that weekend.

Quote:
FAT BIKE.

No, seriously. With 4" tires it's almost like a 29er with 4" of suspension travel. And no damping.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: