Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 100
Welcome

Hi Craneguy,

You will have fun on that airport project. Will it ever end?

Welcome in advance to Oman. Plenty of dirt roads, wadis, and other places to go and wallow in the sand and gravel, if tht is your preference. A fair choice of regular roads as well. When you get a bike, post here again or send a PM, and I can make some suggestions for rides to get you going. Or just find As Sifah on google maps, and try to figure out how to get there from Muscat. All of the routes are good!

Dave
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Thanks Dave.

They are in the process of bringing a 1,600 tonne crane to install roof trusses, and I'm supposed to keep an eye on it for a couple of months. It's a blue-chip crane outfit so hopefully I won't see too much crazy! I was in Saudi / Abu Dhabi for 5 years (left in 2000) and saw much lunatic behavior so I'm not getting my hopes up Besides, a little drama makes things more interesting and justifies my consulting fees.

I usually end up working 80 hour weeks on these jobs, but I hope to have some time to myself. The debate will be whether to buy a bike or try to find one to rent. From scouring the Internet it doesn't look like buying will be a smart option, and even a cheap trials bike will need another vehicle and a trailer.

I remember my boss in Saudi bought a new DR 800 for less than $2,000 in '98 and I was hoping new bikes would still be cheaper. I thought I could pick up a Multistrada and ship it back here. No such luck it seems.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Thanks Dave.

I remember my boss in Saudi bought a new DR 800 for less than $2,000 in '98 and I was hoping new bikes would still be cheaper. I thought I could pick up a Multistrada and ship it back here. No such luck it seems.

Any suggestions?
Your options are limited in Oman, as we are basically "the end of the line".
1) Web site "dubizzle" has a section with bikes for sale in Oman. http://oman.dubizzle.com/en/items-fo...cycles/search/
2) Oman shops - slim pickings here; you will not find the full range of models and most of the dealers will not special order. You will find Harleys, a few Japanese cruisers, sport bikes, and a few dirt bikes. No dual sports. You will not find a Multistrada, Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer, BMW GS, or any other bike of that type at dealers here
3) Notice boards at Al Fair supermarkets. Sometimes motorcycles for sale. Recently, not much on the board at the market in Madinat Al Sutan Qaboos.
4) Dubai - better shops, and you can buy there and import into Oman pretty easily. I bought a MotoGuzzi Stelvio in Dubai last year, and had the dealer truck it down and take care of customs. No problems. You generally cannot ride it down because there is no such thing as a temporary import plate.

As for shipping the thing "back", I'm assuming you mean UK, Europe or ME. Bikes here are generally the EU models, so that should not be a problem. I am from the US. I cannot ship bikes back; EU models are not allowed without hugely expensive emissions tests.

Rental? Maybe the Harley shop would have something. I have seen a couple of KLR650's in the back there.

Dave
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Thanks for that; It's pretty much what I had gathered reading the posts on here.

I'd be sending it to Mexico where I live. They don't give a monkey's arse about emissions :)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Camelz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdoglover View Post

As for shipping the thing "back", I'm assuming you mean UK, Europe or ME. Bikes here are generally the EU models, so that should not be a problem. I am from the US. I cannot ship bikes back; EU models are not allowed without hugely expensive emissions tests.

Rental? Maybe the Harley shop would have something. I have seen a couple of KLR650's in the back there.

Dave
Hi PDL, do you think the same applies to kids motorbikes, ie shipping to the US?

There is no bike rental in Oman. There are a few for sale at the moment, including a very nice BMW 650 Dakar.
Camelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #21
Stuza2
Muppet and Learner!

Oddometer: 9
Craneguy!

Hey Craneguy

I too am working on the airport project and currently ride a Kwak KLR650.... if you go in or out of SQ entrance i've probably flown past you at one of the speed bumps. I've been here since September and am a very happy biker although the sand on the roads can catch me out on occasion (thank feck i'm not on my usual 1000cc sportsbikes!)

If you are interested in a beer so I can tell you all about it then give me a shout (I live at Dolphin village) and I can sum up my experiences of Muscat so far. Also, I am selling the KLR as I won't to move to CRF or something similar (i.e. off-road with some on-road rather than on-road with some off-road).

Hope you're enjoying the place!
Stuza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuza2 View Post
Hey Craneguy

I too am working on the airport project and currently ride a Kwak KLR650.... if you go in or out of SQ entrance i've probably flown past you at one of the speed bumps. I've been here since September and am a very happy biker although the sand on the roads can catch me out on occasion (thank feck i'm not on my usual 1000cc sportsbikes!)

If you are interested in a beer so I can tell you all about it then give me a shout (I live at Dolphin village) and I can sum up my experiences of Muscat so far. Also, I am selling the KLR as I won't to move to CRF or something similar (i.e. off-road with some on-road rather than on-road with some off-road).

Hope you're enjoying the place!
Not there yet but it should be soon. I'll be in touch...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelz View Post
Hi PDL, do you think the same applies to kids motorbikes, ie shipping to the US?

There is no bike rental in Oman. There are a few for sale at the moment, including a very nice BMW 650 Dakar.
According to the regulations referenced on the USEPA site, there are relaxed rules that apply to motorcycles and recreational vehicles with displacements below 50cc. However, these small engines must still be certified and labelled according to US regulations. So unless the manufacturer has registered the engine with the USEPA, and the bike has the stickers, the customs inspector in the US will probably flag it. This set of regulations applies to NEW motorcycles. If you are a real masochist, you can read the regulations here http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/90

NOW, you may be able to bring in a limited number of USED, small off road motorcycles (nonconforming engines) under these regulations.40 CFR 90 - CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM NONROAD SPARK-IGNITION ENGINES AT OR BELOW 19 KILOWATTS (that's under 25 hp) http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/1054.630 (You should read this one, especially SubPart G) Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Recommended Ride

Took a fun ride with my friend, Mike, yesterday morning. From near the airport, we went to the back Expressway, north to the end near Barka. Took a left at the roundabout toward Halban. At that point the road becomes narrow and a bit bumpy. It also features some great dips, two very short sections of dirt, and a few nice sweeping turns. Not much traffic either. We went up to the Barka-Nakhal Rd and retraced our route. 29 km one way.

Word to the wise. Best ride this one soon, as they are building a new road, and while work is going slowly, eventually this little gem will be replaced with a flat, smooth, straight and boring piece of blacktop.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Stuza2
Muppet and Learner!

Oddometer: 9
Sounds like it was fun! Do you guys do it often? Getting very frustrated not being able to find anyone to go for a ride with out here
Stuza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
Cota Kid
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Did some off and on road riding in Ibri last weekend, some great routes. I've did a bit of touring around Oman on my KTM 990 traveling one time from Qatar, although i am now a little closer in UAE.
Great country, great scenery and the nicest people in the middle east.
Cota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #27
mother77
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Since I returned to Adv rider, and introduced myself on the couple of the local ME threads not so long ago, I have been having a "proper" look at some of the Omani options for bikes, having been here two years and missing two wheels, as opposed to just the day dreaming part and browsing dubizzle.
Now I've got my act together it looks like I might be sent to a new posting for a while, so instead of the info going to waste perhaps some of you guys might be interested.

At the recent oman motor show they did indeed have a Super Tenere on display. Having tracked the Yamaha guy down it turns out they had 2 or 3 but they have been sold already to a couple of indian guys. I was at the dealer this lunch time and he said he should be getting more in May. don't know how many. Price will be approx OMR6300 inc registration, 3rd party insurance, and a cheap helmet, maybe also first 1000km service. Based on UK prices that is pretty good considering the lack of alternative options. World crosser not available.
Service parts shouldn't be a problem but tyres will probably have to be got in Dubai.

Also there are 2 Omani guys from Oman Riders that are potentially interested/could be convinced to sell their BMW F800GS, and R1200GS.
If I remember correctly they are 2012, 2011 sourced from dubai and they are looking at OMR 6K and 7K respectively, with current insurance etc. A few extras like crash bars included. Prices are not so keen as they were reluctant sales based on the fact that their wifes didn't like sitting on the back of them! Oil and filters changed, K&N filters installed, but doesn't look like they've done valve clearances etc. No official BMW service here. I've read that the 800 valves clearances can be a little tricky as the access is a little difficult.
Coinicidentally they do appear on youtube, and one guy is riding one in what appears to be the sea. I've been assured that that is not the one for sale!
You can find those guys at Oman riders. Or on FB. I can let you have one of their names if you are interested.

But at those prices it makes the KLR for sale seem a relative bargain though, especially for short term use.

Hope this info is of use/interest to at least one of you.

Cheers
Mike
mother77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Various Rides to Yiti and As Sifah

If you live in Muscat and ride motorcycles, you will eventually go to As Sifah. This map shows various possibilities, from the perspective of my residence in Madinat Al Sultan Qaboos (MQ) area.

1. From MQ, take the main highway toward Ruwi, (purple route) exit to Hamriya, then look for right turn to Yiti. Wind through narrow city streets, straight as possible to sudden uphill...the old Yiti Rd. Narrow, curvy, ups and downs...a blast. Follow signs to As Sifah for more of the same.

2. Alternatively, from MQ, take back expressway (blue route) toward Seeb, then Amerat exit. Wind up the switchbacks and over the mountains to Amerat. Follow signs to Quriyat. Take exit for Wadi Mayh and wadi route to Yiti. This is mostly a dirt road (yellow shaded on map) with a few dips and turns. It ends at the main road to Yiti. Take a right there to go to As Sifah.

3. Many other ways to/from, notably the Qurm Heights highway to the port of Muttrah (green route), and from there to Bustan palace area, and on to Qantab. At Qantab roundabout, take a right to get on track for Yiti and As Sifah.

All highly recommended on a quiet Friday morning. Just watch out for the goats on the road in Khairan!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother77 View Post
Having tracked the Yamaha guy down it turns out they had 2 or 3 but they have been sold already to a couple of indian guys.
those bloody Indians !! they're every where i tell ya !!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
Yemen

Would any of you folks in Oman venture into Yemen?

I'm trying to get my GSA from Romania to India via the middle east. I wanted to ferry from Djibouti to Yemen. Sounds like I might find some hostiles on the coast road?

What are your feelings about the area and riding a fully loaded Beemer with a US passport?

Thanks for the help!
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote