ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #61
stevejonesmo OP
Rookie old fart
 
stevejonesmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Missouri. Ozarks ain't Rockies, but they'll do.
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I can't seem to navigate to the Tent Space Map from the native Apple maps app.
My wife said the apple maps app is what automatically came up when she clicked on the tent space map link in the browser.
__________________
Steve Jones, St. Louis, MO, IBA Mile Eater #25444
King of the Ferries
"Ride To Eat" data Czar
Prince of Times
Tent Space Map Dude
stevejonesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #62
macintosh
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 45
Question How to keep tent space up to date and take with you when travelling

Dit not really know where to put it, "tent space" seemed kind of logical

As smartphones are becoming so widespread (aren't they already?) it could be useful to develop app for tent space (It could be really a part of Motorcycle traveller app toolbox idea I'm working with). In this case its very easy to keep database up to date as all you have to do is install app, fill up couple of fields and post it. After that it will remind you once a year to update. If there is no confirmation place is put to hold. All info will be available from smartphone app (Android for starters) and from PC.

What you think, has that idea some kind of future?
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #63
Mangle
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 42
This is wonderful. I signed up my place. I intend to use this resource, and the kindness of fellow riders, next time I do a distance trip.
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #64
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
Dit not really know where to put it, "tent space" seemed kind of logical

As smartphones are becoming so widespread (aren't they already?) it could be useful to develop app for tent space (It could be really a part of Motorcycle traveller app toolbox idea I'm working with). In this case its very easy to keep database up to date as all you have to do is install app, fill up couple of fields and post it. After that it will remind you once a year to update. If there is no confirmation place is put to hold. All info will be available from smartphone app (Android for starters) and from PC.

What you think, has that idea some kind of future?
Just saw this now.

You have a great idea. We're already doing that manually. It's my view that the intent of the Tent Space is to facilitate getting fellow riders together for social exchange. Automating that exchange by smartphone and computer programs is contrary to that intent.

We do check each Tent Space each year. We do that by sending a personal private message to each person on the list. The person has to personally respond.

Perhaps in the future something could be implemented, but for the moment, I think we have the best method.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #65
stevejonesmo OP
Rookie old fart
 
stevejonesmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Missouri. Ozarks ain't Rockies, but they'll do.
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Perhaps in the future something could be implemented, but for the moment, I think we have the best method.
It is a pretty neat idea, but to repeat something I've said before, IMO the data belongs to Advrider. Even though anybody can go there, I am loathe to spread the data around outside of that community unless that is the clear wish of the people running the site or the Advrider community. I don't even link to it from any of my websites.
__________________
Steve Jones, St. Louis, MO, IBA Mile Eater #25444
King of the Ferries
"Ride To Eat" data Czar
Prince of Times
Tent Space Map Dude
stevejonesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #66
Don T
Bike Addict
 
Don T's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Denmark-Europe.
Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Just saw this now.

You have a great idea. We're already doing that manually. It's my view that the intent of the Tent Space is to facilitate getting fellow riders together for social exchange. Automating that exchange by smartphone and computer programs is contrary to that intent.

We do check each Tent Space each year. We do that by sending a personal private message to each person on the list. The person has to personally respond.

Perhaps in the future something could be implemented, but for the moment, I think we have the best method.

Jamie
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #67
revolut10n
Adventurer
 
revolut10n's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific Northwet
Oddometer: 72
Thanks for the awesome work!

I'm planning a long trip and this will be very useful while route-planning.
__________________
09 Kawasaki KLR650
08 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR
00 Yamaha R6
revolut10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #68
jeffygs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jeffygs's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Middle of the US
Oddometer: 469
Deer Lodge MT PU truck storage needed

we are looking for PU truck and 16 foot trailer storage in Deer Lodge MT while we motorbike it to Alaska and back. starting 15-16 June 2013 (next month) and return 2-6 July 2013. We dont mind paying the going rate. Please email , PM or call or text 417-437-8487. Any information would help
jeffygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #69
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffygs View Post
we are looking for PU truck and 16 foot trailer storage in Deer Lodge MT while we motorbike it to Alaska and back. starting 15-16 June 2013 (next month) and return 2-6 July 2013. We dont mind paying the going rate. Please email , PM or call or text 417-437-8487. Any information would help
Most people don't monitor this thread (that I'm aware).

If you want to contact someone on the Tent Space, find their location on the map and click on the push-pin. That will give you a link to their Tent Space offer. From there you can contact them through PM or some people provide a phone number or email address.

Here are the closest Tent Space offers to Deer Lodge:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3969278
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17711642
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12524312

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #70
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
I wanted to point out that according to my calculations, we now have a Tent Space offer in all 50 US states.

Actually, we've had that distinction for a while now. The last holdouts were Rhode Island and Hawaii. Both states had Tent Space offers, but hadn't been included in the database when Steve took over the job of putting them on the map.

A few emails and we cleared that up. Rhode Island and Hawaii are on the map!

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #71
TK-LA
SoCal Rider
 
TK-LA's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 572
California; Sequoia, Kings Canyon, North of Santa Barbara, etc

If anyone needs free tent space in California; Sequoia, Kings Canyon, North of Santa Barbara, etc, PM me. I know of a ton of gorgeous, free spots.
__________________
Big Trip to Washington, Vancouver Island and British Columbia
So Cal Day Trips
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #72
senecahome
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 50
Navy Pier Chicago - Parking

A long shot, I know but -- I will be working on the Navy Pier in Chicago Aug. 18-23. I'm thinking about riding the cycle but then would need secure parking for that time. I would likely just park it on Sunday and leave on Friday.
So, any suggestions for safe parking that doesn't cost a fortune???

Thanks - Glen
(Not tent space info but didn't know where to post this question)
senecahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #73
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecahome View Post
A long shot, I know but -- I will be working on the Navy Pier in Chicago Aug. 18-23. I'm thinking about riding the cycle but then would need secure parking for that time. I would likely just park it on Sunday and leave on Friday.
So, any suggestions for safe parking that doesn't cost a fortune???

Thanks - Glen
(Not tent space info but didn't know where to post this question)
Glen, I'm sure most people don't monitor this thread. It's mostly technical discussion of the maps.

Go to the first post in this thread and click on the link to the map. Find some tent space offers near where you need parking and send those people messages. That's the best way.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #74
senecahome
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 50
Thanks, Jamie.
senecahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #75
flei
queasy rider
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Western Mass.
Oddometer: 700
Thumb SWEEEET! Thanks!

Wow, this is such a great idea and beautiful execution!

Added my name to the list on the Tent Space thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...149585&page=63).

Looking forward to some great places to stay and meeting some like-minded riders.

Thanks for putting this together!
__________________
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014