Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #151
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Wow, a "Why is this thing sucking my wallet dry?" thread got hijacked into another show me your GS thread?

They cost so much to run because you have to buy a truck and trailer to ride it.

I saw you were injured OBX, I'm just kidding!!

Took the 1150 out today and rode some levy roads with the wife...man, what a great bike. Sure, I think about the driveshaft rebuild that I need to do, but it's a great riding bike.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #152
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
As a 40 year + ex-resident of Dallas, I would sat Sonny's is till damn good. As good as when Sonny was there, well probably not. I miss coming in and seeing Sonny's smiling face greeting me each time. Still packs em in, everyday.

All Beef Brisket is judged against my memory of that dusty lots, brisket.

All my motorcycles shall be judged againt my simple to maintain, smile producing GS

gsweave screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 05:39 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #153
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Wow, a "Why is this thing sucking my wallet dry?" thread got hijacked into another show me your GS thread?
OP is not a commitment buyer.

Like a good marriage, BMW ownership takes commitment and some work.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #154
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
There are a lot of things I can get grumpy about owning a GS but the overall cost to run and maintain the thing are not the ones that get me.

The things that I really don't like:
- dealership fancy pamby latte car lots with nimrod psuedo bike guys running the shop

D
That's because you don't go to a Motorrad dealer only, Dean.
Go see Ian at Wolf BMW in London! Not only does he deal in bikes only, he's also a vintage racer who knows who you are...
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #155
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

TB sysncs are not hard, but do require a sync tool which is $150 or so and then it is pretty easy, again, lots of threads on how to.
Or about $10,-- (wood, 5mm hose and some brake fluid) if you make one yourself. A lot more accurate also :)

I agree with something mentioned earlie r. I also would trust a higher mileage bike over a low mileage. My 1150 had a broken valve and a bad bearing in the paralever (not the main bearing) between 26000km (when I bought it) and 40000km. Not a real problem since then. Weak points often show quite early. When the weak points are wrenched out, they can go on forever.

Sold my 1150 GS in 2008, after 5 years. Next year I'll buy a late 1100GS. Still think that's about the best BMW ever made.
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #156
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Or about $10,-- (wood, 5mm hose and some brake fluid) if you make one yourself. A lot more accurate also :)
I used ATF. But, that was what I had....
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 Overall Mid Atlantic
2012 Cornerworker of the Year

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #157
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post

I agree with something mentioned earlie r. I also would trust a higher mileage bike over a low mileage. My 1150 had a broken valve and a bad bearing in the paralever (not the main bearing) between 26000km (when I bought it) and 40000km. Not a real problem since then. Weak points often show quite early. When the weak points are wrenched out, they can go on forever.

Sold my 1150 GS in 2008, after 5 years. Next year I'll buy a late 1100GS. Still think that's about the best BMW ever made.
I'm not sure my homemade manometer was more accurate than the tool I bought (the one made and sold by an inmate here) but I used it on several bikes, not just the GS, and I never had any trouble with getting a good tune.

One year I did a service on my machine, valves, fluid changes, and TBS, and then stopped by the dealer with an ace mechanic. We chatted and he pulled off my valve covers and checked my valve adjustment (a little on the loose side but the same on all 4) and my TBS was as good as he could get with his computer.

Now, find someone who has done a valve adjustment on a VStrom.I bet you won't find many and the shop charges about 500 dollars to do one. Pain in the ass, shim and bucket with loads of piss poor know-nothing Suzuki dealers out there with 19 year old counter help and 21 year old mechanics

P.S.
I used 2-stroke oil, coloured green and easy to see, if it gets sucked in won't do any harm and sufficiently damped to prevent jumping.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #158
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,068
media:

refreshments:

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #159
murfalert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Are there some "how to" threads on these homemade manometers?
Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #160
johns
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfalert View Post
Are there some "how to" threads on these homemade manometers?
Murf
Google and you'll find a lot. A few yards of 5mm tube, some wood and a light oil...

What these home made devices have in common is that they measure the difference between two cilinders, not some absolute (under)pressure. Oil is quite light (compared to mercury) so a small difference in vacuum gives a easy to spot difference in level

I read someone who calculated it. Seems that these simple devices are very accurate to adjust the balance between right and left.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #161
johns
Studly Adventurer

Ah, here it is!

http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/moto...manometer.html
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #162
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
How is the fuel injection on the 1150s? Is it known to be surgy or abrupt or is that something that BMW has down to a science?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #163
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Every time I talk to anyone on the vstrom forum they talk about how the BMWs cost so much
How many of them have a BMW? When I had my VFR I thought the same thing. I bought an R1200GSA in August 07 and I figure by the time I get to 80,000 miles I'll have spent almost as much on maintenance as my first valve check on the VFR cost me at the dealer.

Always consider the source. On the PC800 forum someone said he was buying an R1200RT. There were pages of comments from people saying he would regret every minute of it as the "heat coming off those cylinders will cook you". My PC800 was MUCH hotter than any boxer I have ever ridden.

That being said.. a Strom is a great bike. It's a third the price of a GS, but its more than a third of the bike. I honestly think the GS is a much better bike, but a Strom is high value.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #164
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
How is the fuel injection on the 1150s? Is it known to be surgy or abrupt or is that something that BMW has down to a science?
The FI performed flawlessly on the R1150GS I owned, as it has all of my other fuel injected BMWs, my V-Strom and my Aprilia Falco. I like FI!
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #165
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
It seems remapping is popular on the DL1000 as well as the S10. I wasn't sure if that was the case with the GS as well.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote