User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
trululu96 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
My next motorcycle

Hi im kind of new in the forum and also new in the motorcycle world, I currently own a honda xr 250 r 1996 and I was seriously thinking in upgrading it to something bigger.

I want a motorcycle that can handle 80% road and 20% soft off road.

The main things that i want from a motorcycle are:

-reliability in long trips
-fun factor in riding
-I want something with simple mechanics so I can understand them.
-cheap to keep it running
-somehow fast

since im not super rich and in my country motorcycles are kind of expensive (i live in colombia) i tought about this motocycles:

Honda xr 650 L 2003/4
Bmw f 650 gs 2003/4
suzuki vstrom 650 2007/8
kawasaki versys 650 2007/8
kawasaki klr 650 2012

so which one of those would you recomend !

thanks

ps: sorry for bad english, its not my mother language
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by trululu96 View Post

-reliability in long trips
-fun factor in riding
-I want something with simple mechanics so I can understand them.
-cheap to keep it running
-somehow fast

since im not super rich and in my country motorcycles are kind of expensive (i live in colombia) i tought about this motocycles:

Honda xr 650 L 2003/4
Bmw f 650 gs 2003/4
suzuki vstrom 650 2007/8
kawasaki versys 650 2007/8

kawasaki klr 650 2012

thanks

But I don't care for thumpers.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
trululu96 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
i dont get it...

sorry, so you are suggesting me to buy a thumper ?
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Hi im kind of new in the forum and also new in the motorcycle world, I currently own a honda xr 250 r 1996 and I was seriously thinking in upgrading it to something bigger.

I want a motorcycle that can handle 80% road and 20% soft off road.

The main things that i want from a motorcycle are:

-reliability in long trips (All bikes you listed except the XR650. Too small gas tank & not as road worthy as the others)
-fun factor in riding (All the bikes you listed, with some better on road & some better off road)
-I want something with simple mechanics so I can understand them. (KLR is probably the most user friendly & easiest to find parts & aftermarket items for.)
-cheap to keep it running (KLR probably yopur best bet here also.)
-somehow fast (The twins mentioned will be the fastest, the 2 thumpers somewhat slower & lowest HP, but will still do 95 to 100 mph)

Honda xr 650 L 2003/4 (#5 choice)
Bmw f 650 gs 2003/4 (#3 choice)
suzuki vstrom 650 2007/8 (#2 choice)
kawasaki versys 650 2007/8 (#4 choice)
kawasaki klr 650 2012 (my #1 choice for you...)

thanks

Your English is just fine. Just rememeber what you paid for this advice...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Since the majority of your riding will be on the street, and you want something reliable, I'd suggest the VStrom.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
sorry, so you are suggesting me to buy a thumper ?
No. He was saying he does not like thumpers and recommended either the V-Strom or the Versys.

Personally, as you describe it I'd say go for the Versys.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi trululu96. It looks like you picked a good list of bikes to choose from, so look at your "pors & cons" of what each bike will give you, nd look deep down in side of your self to see if you fit the mold for that kind of bike you are picking.

Example .... I did two motorcycles to fit my mold of what I wan't being that I like bikes, and I can not afford to not have two units. I picked a wee for my 90/10 or 80/20 of normal riding, then I picked up a DRZ for my 50/50 which is my wild side. """Ha Ha.""" . This seems to not be for you, so the one bike thing is what you have to work with if funds dictate what you can afford !!!

If you pick one of those bikes, I'm sure that later your thoughts could change of what you want for a bike, and this is something that you can ask your self this. "Can you see your self on the bike you choose for the next 2 or 4 years, and if this is correct, then you are much closer to finding what you want/ need/ and can use.

All the bikes you picked have riliability. They are all fun. They look simple to tinker with. Most are low budget to run. Some are fast depending on your idea of fast. and most are inexpensive to buy. This is just my 2 cents, but find a dealer or shop that you can trust trust, and trust, being that if you need someone to fix something major, then you have that end of the conundrum solved. Having trust in the man is my major factor when I buy a any thing, and I have 14 years of trust with my man/ shop to get thing fixed. "The Major Stuff that is. "

Find what will work for you trululu96, then pick the unit that comes the closest to that, then find the man or shop to help you when the chips are down. You can't go wrong when you have those 3 things in place !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Klr

Ya you gotta go with a KLR,at least that way if we end up together somewhere I'll have someone to hang out with,it gets lonely at biker events when you tweet up on a KLR
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I just sold my 08 Versys here in the US. I rode 20K miles in three 3 years. Not a lot by some people standard but more than most people do where I live. One of the best on its class as long as you stay on pavement. With proper tires it can do fairly well maintained dirt roads. I was riding on Pirelli Scorpion Trails. It is the most fun in its class. Failry reliable and easy to maintain. A dude in the kawasakiversys forum have a thread of his ride from the Seattle to Ushuaia, and points in South America. I beleive he decided not to came back north. He did 60K miles all over the place ended up selling it and getting a KLR when he could not get it registered in Peru.

However, the KLR altough a Thumper is the best value, easiest to maintain long term and best off road.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Another vote for the KLR. I had an older one and it was one of the best all around bikes I ever had. It surprisingly well on the road. 80 mph and up. All of those bikes are more road bikes than dirt. The KLR is well proven, easy to work on. Parts are more common and the most likely it is the best off road. It is very easy to change sprockets for the type of riding you do.
For faster road work the others may be better. They are all good bikes and any of them would be a good choice. Nothing says cheap.like a KLR.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Versys or strom...I thought the strom felt better when I was deciding. The bigger frame didnt make me feel as cramped as the versys. With that in mind I would go sit or ride them and see what you think. They both have their fans for various reasons.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
"somehow fast" makes me lean towards the twin-cylinder engines. None of these bikes are really fast, but the twins just have more oomph.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
+1 for Vstrom if any offroad is involved.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

It seems that people have move the market towards adventure motorcycles, and the manufacters are more then willing to fill those spots with units to choose from. The age groups between 26-40 want light bikes that they can drive to school or work, yet they like the idea of getting away on the weekends as well. Many people in this age bracket don't see them selves riding around on a big bike like there parents had, so they pick these sport, naked, and adventure units to fill there needs.

The $8000 to $10 000 range to some people does not seem like much money, but to a young person with a family, house, or going to school, this price tag is a lot. So this has much to do with funds, priority, and being practical.
They like to look at the motorcycle catagory in styling, weight, price, and of coures being practical !!!

Light weight dual sports in 125-250cc range at 300 to 350 lbs starting at $4500 to $5000. These units can get you around town and out on a country roads, but they are not super fast out on the open highways. This is not saying that it can't be done !!!

Mid/ light weight dual sports in the 400-650cc range at 350 to 400 lbs at $5000 to $6500. These unit can do the same thing, but with much more easy then the small uints, and they perform better on the open hyw, and they are good at getting away on the shorter weekend trips. And this is not saying that you can't go for a long trip either !!!

Mid/ weight dual sport, "Adventure bikes" in the 650cc to 800cc range at 500 to 550 lbs at $6500 to $10 500. These units again can do every thing the other bikes do, but they really shine out on the open road, and they like to travel. Most of them can work in the Gravel road stuff with good results depending on the condition of the road and the operator, but the other units that are listed do much better, and agian. That is not to say that these bigger twin piston units can't do this stuff either. In the right hands, these bikes can perform well with a set of good tires

Mid/ heavy weight dual sport, "Adventure bikes" in the 800cc to 1200cc range at 550 to 600 lbs at $10 500 to $18 000. do super well at hyw and town. They might seem heavy with those kinds of numbers, but they feel super lite with low center of gravity. And these units perform just like the Mid/ weight bikes. Most people who buy these units like to travel, and they don't seem to mind hitting the odd gravel road or trail once and a while. And like I said, the operator and the way the bike is set up, really dictates where it will go.

I my self need 2 bikes to fill my needs, and thats the only thing I can do for now, but the day will come that 1 bike will do all when I have less needs, yet that time has not come yet

From Jeathrow Bowdean. PS: But then again, what would I know about this stuff !!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 674
Wicked picking a bike

Hermano I'm partial to the v-strom (a la 650 modello 2011 o anterior la llaman Wee) It can do plenty of gravel roads y en viaje largo es suave. Hey I even take mine off road along with KLRs and BMWs. Not to make you feel bad but go to craigslist.org , pick any city and search for v-strom 650 and you will realize that given how much you will spend for that bike in Colombia we'd consider you rich

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote