Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #196
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
V5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
+1...how do we know which version we have?
The Rowe guys can chime in, but I believe they have at least three variants:
V1: no plug for programmable interface, large connector on body, no battery tender (the one I bought 2+ years ago)
V2: programmable interface, no connector on the body, battery tender (photo in Aerostitch & RocketMoto websites)
V5: programmable interface, no connector on body, no more battery tender (Motorcycle Innovations YouTube video)

My guess is that you will get the V5 when Aerostitch/RocketMoto clear out their inventory of V2s. I don't know if there are variants in between.

Let's hear it from the horse's mouth(s)
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #197
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
V1: no plug for programmable interface, large connector on body, no battery tender (the one I bought 2+ years ago)
V2: programmable interface, no connector on the body, battery tender (photo in Aerostitch & RocketMoto websites)
V5: programmable interface, no connector on body, no more battery tender (Motorcycle Innovations YouTube video)

My guess is that you will get the V5 when Aerostitch/RocketMoto clear out their inventory of V2s. I don't know if there are variants in between.

Guess I'll find out what I get in a few days.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #198
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post

Thanks for the info. So V5 is the latest version.
How does one program it? I'll look on YouTube.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #199
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks for the info. So V5 is the latest version.
How does one program it? I'll look on YouTube.
I haven't seen any video or graphics showing how this is done. Here is what it says on RocketMoto's website on their $20 programming option:

Custom Programming? How does that work?
Simply select the optional 'Custom Programming' option at checkout time. A Rocket Moto technician will contact you to understand the devices that you want to connect to the PDM60 and will work with you to devise a power scheme. Then we'll program the PDM60 to suit your requirements.

Rowe's website doesn't give any details either.

Anyone done this yet?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #200
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,861
Ok, thanks.. I thought it was user programmable.. It's fine the way it comes programmed.. I like the 7 second delay on startup but would prefer a shorter shut down than 3 minutes.

all my farkles terminate in quick release SAE connectors (because they are readily available here and don't cost much), this permits me to remove them or disconnect them quickly when servicing the bike.

On the Fuzeblock, I mount SAE pigtails to all circuits. I was thinking of getting the PDM60, but it only has 1 ground wire, so I'd need to add a grounding block so I can mount the quick release SAE connectors... hmm.. I think I'm better off sticking with Fuzeblock, even though I really like this one, I don't see how I can attach my accessories to it with quick release fittings.

p.s. short of using a grounding block ($28), any suggestions on how I could use the PDM60 with the way I connect my farkles? I really want to get one of these to install on my bike insteady of getting a Fuzeblock.

GB screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:16 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #201
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 932
Laugh PDM60 versions - what's what...

Folks, let me help you understand what's what wih regards to PDM60 versions.

Version 1 - Originally sold only by Aerostich, it's been obsolete for over a year. No place is selling these.

Version 2 - Available for about a year, now. ALL PDM60's that are available today are VERSION 2. The Aerostich model has a Molex connector and the pigtails plug into that connector. Non-Aerostich models do not have the 9 pin Molex, just pigtail leads for connecting your devices to.

Version 2 initially had a light colored with black printing "Powerpak" label. This was changed in July 2012 to the current style dark colored label. Aerostich has their own OEM label.

In January 2013 (ie last week), the 2 pin SAE battery charger input connector was eliminated. PDM60's will no longer have this connector, and the latest batch that we received into our shop does not have the SAE conenctor, and it doesn't look like there's any possibility of it coming back.

Version 5 - DOES NOT EXIST. Nada, Zip, End of Story. So regardless of what you have heard, seen, telepathed, gossiped, dreamt about or imagined, all PDM60's in the market today, and going back some time are Version 2.

All Version 2 PDM60's are dealer programmable today; but few dealers have the software and programming adapter; we do. Figure in about 45-60 days, an accessory special USB programming interface cable and friendly dashboard software, will permit end-user programming.

So, bottom line is, if you buy a PDM60 it's gonna be Version 2. It's programmable. You will like it. And, if it'll make you feel better we'll slap a big ol' VERSION 5 sticker on it, no extra charge . CAPICE??
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM
RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #202
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 901
What I like to do is ground the device close to where it is located with a ring crimp and only run one wire back to the PDM or fuse device, less wires running everywhere.

Sure, some items want to go to the battery either ground or power or both, well I've ignored that safely for years, YMMV.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #203
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj View Post
What I like to do is ground the device close to where it is located with a ring crimp and only run one wire back to the PDM or fuse device, less wires running everywhere.

Sure, some items want to go to the battery either ground or power or both, well I've ignored that safely for years, YMMV.
Check out our wiring kit. We have a special ground cable made for us by Powerlet.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #204
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Hi Adam
Thanks for weighing in on the thread and clarifying the versions.

I think the crux of the question that has yet to be answered yet is in regards to the Rowe announcement (allegedly, for I have not read it myself) that some version (?) is or will be user programable in the near future with the release of the appropriate PC software, or that is the rumor.

Perhaps you have some insight on this...?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #205
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

V5

Thanks Adam !!!
The only actual reference to a "V5" I've seen is in the title of the MCI YouTube video. It must mean something else - maybe the 5th take of the video??
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #206
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Talking

Quote:
Hi Adam
Thanks for weighing in on the thread and clarifying the versions.

I think the crux of the question that has yet to be answered yet is in regards to the Rowe announcement (allegedly, for I have not read it myself) that some version (?) is or will be user programable in the near future with the release of the appropriate PC software, or that is the rumor.

Perhaps you have some insight on this...?
The PDM60 that you have right now is programmable. If you had the $200 programming goodie and the software you could program it yourself.

What is on the horizon is a special USB cable that has the hardware programming interface built into the cable. That cable, along with Windoze software that is a bit friendlier than what the dealers have today, will permit programming of existing and forthcoming version2 PDM60's. The PDM60's aren't changing - just the cable availability.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #207
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
The PDM60 that you have right now is programmable. If you had the $200 programming goodie and the software you could program it yourself.

What is on the horizon is a special USB cable that has the hardware programming interface built into the cable. That cable, along with Windoze software that is a bit friendlier than what the dealers have today, will permit programming of existing and forthcoming version2 PDM60's. The PDM60's aren't changing - just the cable availability.
Cheers!
I heard similar news...I hear it's slated for release soon...

DDT Rider screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 02:52 PM
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #208
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Thumb

Quote:
Cheers!
I just got that news from Blake...I hear it's slated for February release...
James:

We'll have a good stock of USB programming cables on hand, so if you need one, we'll have 'em on the RocketMoto.com store.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #209
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
James:

We'll have a good stock of USB programming cables on hand, so if you need one, we'll have 'em on the RocketMoto.com store.
That's what I'm counting on ;>
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #210
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
PDM60 install

I did a write up of my PDM60 install here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...840096&page=32

It starts on post #477. This is an AWESOME unit! I had a Fuzeblock initially and exchanged it for the PDM. Never looked back and worth every penny.

Incidentally, I am a programmer also and in Oregon. Anyone who needs a programming change, PM me and I'll hook you up.

p3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote