Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #916
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio_Kilao View Post
hi kedgi...

i really enjoy read your rr... about the altitude you can try the coca tea, 'Te de coca' in spanish, i was in Cusco in few years ago and the tea worked very well for me...

in Bolivia the food is worst, when i was in there i just eat pizza, but when you arrives in argentina and chile the level of food will increase a lot... in argentina you can try the beef of chorizo...is one of the better meat in SA...

i'll be on de road to cusco in march and after i'll go down to san pedro de atacama on chile... who knows we meet our paths...and if you came to Brazil...we'll be with the doors open for you here and will be a pleasure help you on your pass through this country...

i hope you continue enjoying your travel and don't be sad because the more interesting in this type of journey is the differences between the people and culture.....

Kilo

Http://kilao.blogspot.com
That's a very kind offer, Thanks. I won't make it to Brazil this trip but I would love to see Rio de Janeiro one day.

I'm feeling much better now and over my depression. In hindsight I realize I was really altitude sick. I had a very good day yesterday. I am starting to feel like myself again.

Safe Travels!

Dwight

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #917
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Regarding money exchange,during the SEA police action the dollar flow was discouraged.I bought mine at a local pharmacy-jewery store whom sold it at much better rates than chase manhattan on base.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #918
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Is there as reason many are not going to Brazil?

Mostly just time. I would love to see Brazil too, but it will have to be another time. As it is now I have been away from Angele and home for a very long time.

I hope one day to fly to Rio. I have wanted to see it all my life.

I feel I would be a lot better prepared now for a visit to Rio after spending so much time in SA

Kedgi
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #919
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Kedgi
I did the 4 day MP hike at 54 years old and my buddy was 59. It took me 3 days in Cusco to get acclimatized, I went to the pharmacy and got something for the sickness, do not remember what it was but it worked. The hike reaches 14000' at dead womens pass. The porters actually run ahead of you and camp is all set up when you arrive
You guys are keener than I am. I could never do that hike. Just walking around town is enough for me.

If the weather nice tomorrow I going up to the Sacred Valley on the bike.

Kedgi
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #920
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cusco Pictures

There are two churches on the main square in Cusco. The huge Cathedral and then this relatively smaller but still impressive church.

Yesterday morning is was walking by on my way to Starbucks and the care taker opens the door on the right side of the building, there is hardly anyone around because it's early and he says to me in Spanish, something to the effect, "would you like to see inside?" Sure!

So he leads me in through that little door at the right, then opens a big steel door on an inside wall and it leads to this steep and dark staircase. (It is only lit by the flash in this picture

It comes out onto the lower section of the churche's roof through this little cubby hole you can see the caretaker coming out of.

How cool! We were on the roof of the church where I'll bet not many people have been.

Great views on a gorgeous day. I felt like I really lucked in. It was neat.

Then the guy said I owed him 10 soles, he could have mentioned the price first. It did matter that's about $3.50 and it was worth that.

I also went to PeruMotoTours and met Alex Luna the owner, he gave me a great map of the sacred valley and told me there was parking for the bike up at hydroelectrica and I could take the train from tere to Machu Picchu. That saves me having to ride packed tourists buses, that charge $200, Nice. I was stupid not to tak Alex's picture but here is his shop, only a few blocks from the main square

Yesterday was wonderful weather with great views of the surrounding mountains

A cute Cuzco resident

While Niko and I played chess there was a wedding at the Cathedral

Niko left fairly early to get ready for his hike. I stayed at Nortons and met a nice couple Chris and Kate from Toronto. Chris had a couple drinks and only then found out they don't take Visa. He was having a hard time convincing the bar staff he'd have to leave and come back to pay his bill.

I spoke up and introduced myself as a fellow Canadian and told Chris I would happily promise to pay his bill if he didn't come back (I knew he would) and he was grateful and left the bill with me after I told the bar staff I would pay it. Chris was back in 20 minutes paid his bill, bought me a beer and then the three of us had a great chat.

later I met Sus (sp) A gentleman from London England, a hell of a nice guy and we had a lot of fun talking to one another. He's a property developer just over on a few days holiday. He's a very polished gentleman. I enjoyed his company and conversation.

While I forgot to take a picture of Chris and Kate, here's Sus

Here's a look at my Hostal. Its not too bad and it's close to where I had to park the bike.

I'm headed out for a burger and a beer.

Later!

Kedgi
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #921
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Tourists Attacked in Indigenous Village in Cusco Province

Dwight,

I just stumbled across this when I went looking for posts from Bubbletron to see where she is.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853108

Have you heard anything about this, or met the people involved?

What's your take?
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos

Smithee screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 12:20 PM Reason: Damn that Autocorrect!!!
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #922
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
Dwight,

I just stumbled across this when I went looking for posts from Bubbletron to see where she is.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853108

Have you heard anything about this, or met the people involved?

What's your take?
I don't know much about it except for the story. I however did meet Jeb very briefly in Lima. They were just leaving the Hitchhikers Backpackers Hostal as I arrived and he related the story of the story of the attack for me as he was getting ready to go to Cusco to retrieve his truck. Very scary. he said he had no idea what set the attack off and that they were in fear of their lives at the time.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #923
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
glad you are getting recharged with "people" time...
Me too!

I watched the Peru vs Colombia football game tonight at Nortons. Too bad Peru lost after their big win last week against Brasil. Can't win them all.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #924
Zebbidog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Wow, now there is an adventure. I'm into kayaks too. I have built a few wooden ones in my spare time.

Here are the two I have now.

Wow! Those are beautiful! Do you sell any plans for building them? I'd love to do something like this with my son during the downtime when not riding!
Zebbidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #925
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbidog View Post
Wow! Those are beautiful! Do you sell any plans for building them? I'd love to do something like this with my son during the downtime when not riding!

Thanks

I'm not that clever!

These boats are actually kits you can buy and build. It takes about 150 hours to assemble one.

The upper kayak in the picture is from Pygmy Kayaks in Port Townsend Wa.

The lower kayak is from Waters Dancing Kayaks in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Both kits can be shipped to your door by courier, complete

Rewarding to build!

Kedgi
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #926
Kedgi OP
Banned

Machu Picchu

It's a beautiful morning here in Cusco. I'm going to ride up to Machu Picchu today

Kedgi
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #927
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
It's a beautiful morning here in Cusco. I'm going to ride up to Machu Picchu today

Kedgi

well, why not..
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #928
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:

Kedgi
Awesome!!!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #929
casey sohc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
great ride!

hi i've been following your report from last week to now,it had taken a bit of time to catch up...IT'S FRIKKIN GREAT! you are a real person on an average bike doing a ride of a lifetime,and to go a step further this report has been full of real stuff,fears,disappointment,,and after a day of crap you pull a string of wins!the view the scenery.it's great.
You will get suggestions and advice from all over the place,but from what you are doing and have done...the awesomeness of this ride far outweighs the down days.
As a fellow eastern Canadian,Cheers and ride safe!
all the best JJ.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #930
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Dwight, good to hear from you! Before I get into Bolivia, make sure that you take the Santa Theresa route if you are going to Machu Picchu.

As far as elevation, if you're going to Bolivia, it's only going to get worse. Yesterday I rode 330 miles and it was all above 12,500 feet. Some of it was over 14,000 feet. If you are going to do the death road, you'll go over a pass that's 15,200 feet tall! At this point, I think the only thing you can really do to help yourself is to lay off the smokes and booze for a while.

Here's the skinny on fuel: Bolivians pay about 3 Bolivianos per liter; all forigheners pay three times that amount! The Bolivian government doesn't want people crossing into Bolivia, buying a bunch of gas on the cheap, then heading into Peru or somehwere else and selling it for profit on the black market.

Now, there's a pretty easy way to get around this. You won't get it as cheap as the Bolivians do, but it won't cost three times as much either. To make this work, you kind of need to be able to speak a little bit of Spanish.

Pull into the gas station (make sure it's a small less devolped one) and ask them how much the gas is. If you are lucky, they'll just give it to you at the normal price. Most likely they won't. If they tell you it's three times as much, just laugh and tell them that you paid 5 Bolivianos at the last gas station.

If they point at the survaillance camera, just tell them it's okay and that nobody will know, it'll just be "our little secret". Also, tell them they don't have to do all the paperwork and they don't need to give you a recipt. This should let them know that your willing to deal and hopefully they'll be in the barganing mood. They may want you to pull out of sight of the camera and fill up your bike using a jerry can or even empty coke bottles, but that's a small price to pay for the money you are saving.

Essentially, you're bribing them. You get gas cheaper than you normally would, and they get to skip the hassle of filling out paperwork, plus they get to pocket the difference in price. I'd say that's pretty win win. This little proccess has worked every time with me so far.

Hope that helps! Just went and rode in the water on the Salar today....epic! You've got to do it! I'll be out in the desert for the next few days on my way to chile, but if you have any other questions I'll try and get back to you as soon as I can.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote