ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #20206
pplassm
Brace for collision!
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post

European versions actually had special carbs where (heated) coolant was piped into a jacket in the float bowls.

.
My DT50 actually has that feature.
__________________
Pete
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #20207
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
My DT50 actually has that feature.
Really?

The first time I became aware of this "feature" was when a European COG member sent my some pictures of his bike. I was clueless until he told me what the extra plumbing was for.

This was pre-digital to us common folk, so I probably have that picture floating around here somewhere.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #20208
toddzacker
NO FILTER
 
toddzacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Williamsburg
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Todd ..... you suck! Don't get sun burned .... the first burn of the winter really hurts. Alcohol makes it feel better.

Jeff .... Thanks for all that you do. Great job. I need to talk to you about fixing my headlight on the GS. The adjustment mechanism is broken, one of the swivel balls on the inside broke off. Grrrrrrr Its a sealed housing.

Boots
I need a new pair of boots. The BMW Allarounds have been great boots but they are worn out. I need waterproof and more protection. I have some nice Alpinstar motor cross boots but they don't fit inside some of my pants. I prefer to have the pants over the boots.

Does anyone know anything about Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boot? I think I have seen them on a couple inmates but I can't remember who. I hear a lot of good things about them. Any other advise is appreciated.

Waterproof ..... protection ..... under a pant leg ..... comfortable.
Oh yeah Chuck...you just got back from a trip of a lifetime...don't give me shit...

Boots- I got the Sidi adventure Goretex. Wow!!! Is all I can say. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had. To driving rain storms, twice in the mud road, & 6 water crossings in the mountains and never wet feet. I have to replace a buckle from my crash, but the best all around boots I've ever owned.
__________________
"That is one good tasting pickle", Jersey
'12 BMWR1200GS
'06 F650GS
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #20209
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lanexa, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Boots- I got the Sidi adventure Goretex. Wow!!! Is all I can say. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had. To driving rain storms, twice in the mud road, & 6 water crossings in the mountains and never wet feet. I have to replace a buckle from my crash, but the best all around boots I've ever owned.
Just ordered a pair!

Thanks, Mike for the ebay link!
__________________
Greater Williamsburg Tag Map

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #20210
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer
 
DirtDoctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North Chesterfield,VA
Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
just want to thank all inmates who offered to help, you guys make advrider so great and for Jeff for putting me up so i wouldn't have to sleep under a bridge.

here's the good stuff though



too bad the classic bike pool hall has a habit of breaking you down



nothing rivets can't fix


viola


thanks again to all you FF's.

You guys rock Jeff and Tony!! No better place to land than the CB&PH. Safe travels Tom. You gotta love ADVers.Cheers fellas!

On another note, I just got the Sidi Adventure Goretex boots from the same place as Mike on ebay and it was a great deal. Love the boots.
__________________
Greg
'07 BMW R1200 GSA,'62 Ducati 200 Elite SS,'61 BMW R50/2,'05 Honda CRF 230F/Baha Kit

DirtDoctor screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 05:04 PM
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #20211
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass
 
bloochdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Todd ..... you suck! Don't get sun burned .... the first burn of the winter really hurts. Alcohol makes it feel better.

Jeff .... Thanks for all that you do. Great job. I need to talk to you about fixing my headlight on the GS. The adjustment mechanism is broken, one of the swivel balls on the inside broke off. Grrrrrrr Its a sealed housing.

Boots
I need a new pair of boots. The BMW Allarounds have been great boots but they are worn out. I need waterproof and more protection. I have some nice Alpinstar motor cross boots but they don't fit inside some of my pants. I prefer to have the pants over the boots.

Does anyone know anything about Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boot? I think I have seen them on a couple inmates but I can't remember who. I hear a lot of good things about them. Any other advise is appreciated.

Waterproof ..... protection ..... under a pant leg ..... comfortable.
Hi Chuck,
I have a couple pairs of the Gaerne oiled balance boots.. The most comfy boots I have ever owned. The draw back is the offer very little protection for off road riding. I wore them while riding and hunting in Africa but was concerned about no real support around ankles. Great go to boot for light stuff and impromptu dirt but the boot I feel safer for long trips is the sidi adventure rain...

I won't give up the gaerne boots though..
__________________
"That light is bright, I can"t see sh!t."- H14
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #20212
skychs
chuck smith
 
skychs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Glen Allen Va (N. Richmond)
Oddometer: 915
Boots/Battery Tender

Hey Blooch
I told Linda I thought you had a pair of the Oiled Boots. Thanks for responding. As much as I like the Gaerne my instinct (and your description of the lack of protection) tells me to go with the Sidi Adventure Gortex .... especially at the price Mike found them for. Thanks Mike. It will be the first time I have ordered boots via mail because of my weird feet but my fingers are crossed. Thanks everyone for your input.

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought a Battery Tender. The GS seems to hold its charge but the DRZ is a power hog for some reason. Maybe its the small battery it takes. I don't know. I went with the Pep Boys brand (Shumacher) instead of the Battery Tender brand at the advise of the salesman in the store and because it was half the price. At 1.5 amp it seems to work well.

Have a great week everyone.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #20213
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Yesterday I finally broke down and bought a Battery Tender. The GS seems to hold its charge but the DRZ is a power hog for some reason. Maybe its the small battery it takes. I don't know. I went with the Pep Boys brand (Shumacher) instead of the Battery Tender brand at the advise of the salesman in the store and because it was half the price. At 1.5 amp it seems to work well.

Have a great week everyone.
You're talking about the DRZ400 I'm assuming, right? Did you correct the regulator/rectifier "poor connection" issue? That's supposed to increase your charging output from .3 - .5 volts. Let me know if you need a link.
__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #20214
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA. Growing on me or getting used to it?
Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I got the Sidi Adventure Gore Tex boots from Biker-Land.de on Ebay...great price took about 10 days to arrive...super comfy out of the box...maybe not suited to a wide foot from what I hear...fits under jeans no problem. I submerged 'em on the last mud run ride and stayed completely dry...
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a pair! I guess I can stop trying to gorilla glue my old ones back together after every ride!
__________________
Me: BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Official Gatorade/snack girl!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 06:56 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #20215
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 663
Does anyone around here have any experience w/ one-way bike rental in Europe? I'll ask over on some Europe threads, but it would be great to pick brains around here if any of y'all have been there done that in recent years, or know someone who has.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:16 PM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #20216
Downer
Downer
 
Downer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 210
Bike Rental Kaiserslautern, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Does anyone around here have any experience w/ one-way bike rental in Europe? I'll ask over on some Europe threads, but it would be great to pick brains around here if any of y'all have been there done that in recent years, or know someone who has.
I never had to rent since I lived there but Dexheimer BMW rented bikes about an hour from Frankfurt. I did get a loaner from them a couple of times.

Not sure how much that helps since I am not sure where you are going to be.
__________________
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." Dave Barry
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #20217
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I never had to rent since I lived there but Dexheimer BMW rented bikes about an hour from Frankfurt. I did get a loaner from them a couple of times.

Not sure how much that helps since I am not sure where you are going to be.
Endpoint Zurich. Start anyplace between Krakow and Zurich, maybe Vienna, if crossborder oneway rentals are feasible.. if not, maybe Vienna to someplace in western Austria, then train on to Zurich. Thanks for the name. Even if they aren't on my path of travel a) they might know of some rental companies that are, and b) they might be able to help me get my head around the crossborder question, insurance, etc.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #20218
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Does anyone around here have any experience w/ one-way bike rental in Europe? I'll ask over on some Europe threads, but it would be great to pick brains around here if any of y'all have been there done that in recent years, or know someone who has.
Brenda,
If you are a member of the BMWMOA, on their webpage there is an entire section called Global Touring. It has sections on rentals, tour operators, insurance, shipping, etc. There are over 50 tour operators listed and almost a hundred rental places.

You might want to consider a bike exchange. There is a global network of bike owners who exchange bikes, just like the home exchange you've used. Here is what I copied from the BMWMOA site. Try contacting Tom and see if he has any ideas.

TransAtlantic BikeShare-Worldwide. (Tom Burklow)
Tel/fax 513-398-9424, bikeshare@aol.com; www.bikeshareworld.com; 8268 Winters Lane, Mason OH 45040.


I've never heard of any one-way bike rentals, especially cross borders, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. All the borders you mentioned are open because of the EU, except for Switzerland, but their requirements are basically that you buy the vignette to operator a vehicle on their autobahns. If you stay off the super highways you don't have to buy it.

jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #20219
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Brenda,
If you are a member of the BMWMOA, on their webpage there is an entire section called Global Touring. It has sections on rentals, tour operators, insurance, shipping, etc. There are over 50 tour operators listed and almost a hundred rental places.

You might want to consider a bike exchange. There is a global network of bike owners who exchange bikes, just like the home exchange you've used. Here is what I copied from the BMWMOA site. Try contacting Tom and see if he has any ideas.

TransAtlantic BikeShare-Worldwide. (Tom Burklow)
Tel/fax 513-398-9424, bikeshare@aol.com; www.bikeshareworld.com; 8268 Winters Lane, Mason OH 45040.


I've never heard of any one-way bike rentals, especially cross borders, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. All the borders you mentioned are open because of the EU, except for Switzerland, but their requirements are basically that you buy the vignette to operator a vehicle on their autobahns. If you stay off the super highways you don't have to buy it.

jeff
Well shoot, looks like I need to re-up my BMWMOA membership. And bike exchange is a thing? S-WEET!!! Will definitely look into that. Thanks Jeff!
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #20220
Downer
Downer
 
Downer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 210
Poland could be an issue with a rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Well shoot, looks like I need to re-up my BMWMOA membership. And bike exchange is a thing? S-WEET!!! Will definitely look into that. Thanks Jeff!
I know most if not all the rental car companies would not let you take a car into Poland. Apparently they wanted it back.

If you do call Dexheimer Uwe was always helpful when I was there. He understood Americans.
__________________
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." Dave Barry
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014