ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #2536
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
A friend send me a message about some potential gas place
Between Chibougamau and Roberval, 2 places
1- "Relais Barrière du Nord", around 50Km south of Chibougamau... Maybe open only during winter (snowmobile)
2- South of "Scierie 54", km178 on road 167. Caféteria open on worker lunch time. not sure it still exists

One still is still the other no longer exists. I'm a dumb ass and forgot to make a waypoint and using satellite maps I can't seem to pinpoint it. The range between Parent and Chibougamau is doable for gas range without this stop so I skipped it on the gps files. I'll be back up there in the spring and will be more diligent in recording its location

In the route description there is a photo of it and a description, cool spot in the middle of nowhere to kick back and have a cold one and even spend a night . The section from Parent to Chibougamau is top drawer. Fun, wide, sandy roads with a way out there remote feeling. One of my favorite stretches of the TCAT
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #2537
yamyam
Rallye of Tunisia
 
yamyam's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Quebec
Oddometer: 28
Hi Deadly99, It's me who gave infos and the picture of us on the Bazin bridge to Rhino! I'll ask a friend who know's this region and see the correct info for the possibility of gaz stations on paved road between Chibougamau and Roberval.

I didn't follow all your interesting thread about the making of your trail. Since I was a child, I did many hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and dual-sport traveling in Québec back roads. If you want, send me the track of the Québec section between the south part and Chibougamau. I'll check if I can add you some infos about gaz point or place to stay. If you have some questions, just email me! Eric
__________________
Tunisia Rallye 2006, First Canadian Finisher (24th place)
2010 P2D Survivor
2011 RMX Challenge
2012 Orange Crush Adventure (2th place)
yamyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #2538
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamyam View Post
Hi Deadly99, It's me who gave infos and the picture of us on the Bazin bridge to Rhino! I'll ask a friend who know's this region and see the correct info for the possibility of gaz stations on paved road between Chibougamau and Roberval.

I didn't follow all your interesting thread about the making of your trail. Since I was a child, I did many hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and dual-sport traveling in Québec back roads. If you want, send me the track of the Québec section between the south part and Chibougamau. I'll check if I can add you some infos about gaz point or place to stay. If you have some questions, just email me! Eric

Thanks Eric, I'll get in touch


Well bummer this thread got moved but I suppose it was no longer a ride report now that the route is complete.

Upwards and onwards I suppose, I for one look forward to reading others folks TCAT ride reports in the future. Please ensure you make sure younhave the most recent version of the files before heading out. The gpx files will be bundled with detailed PDF maps and a text doc with some important info in the next release.

We're still working away on the route descriptions and will hopefully have them complete before the riding season starts this spring.

Like always, stoked with all the support this project received from people from across the country. I think as a collective group we did something pretty outstanding

Cheers

Ted
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #2539
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer
 
morerpmfred's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary Alberta
Oddometer: 139
Post 2530 mentions pdf map file. Will this have the coordinates imbedded for use on ipad/iphone pdf avenza map reader ? So the gps on the ipad/iphone works on the pdf map?
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #2540
GISdood
Studly Adventurer
 
GISdood's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
Post 2530 mentions pdf map file. Will this have the coordinates imbedded for use on ipad/iphone pdf avenza map reader ? So the gps on the ipad/iphone works on the pdf map?

I'l lbe exporting the PDF files straight out of ESRI ArcMap with geocoding enabled. So yes, they should be readable from any device/application that supports that feature.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #2541
rinho
Rinho Féroce
 
rinho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC...Ottawa area
Oddometer: 1,038
I was not aware of this feature !
Pretty cool!
__________________
'06 950 LC8 Adv S
'92 KTM 400 LC4 (pre-serie unit)
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #2542
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
I'l lbe exporting the PDF files straight out of ESRI ArcMap with geocoding enabled. So yes, they should be readable from any device/application that supports that feature.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
I was not aware of this feature !
Pretty cool!

Me neither
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #2543
GISdood
Studly Adventurer
 
GISdood's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Awesome!
Me neither
For those who haven't played with this feature in Adobe...

Here's the toolbar you need to enable:


The 'Analysis' toolbar looks like this:



Third button from the left is the one you want. When you select that command, you'll get a running display in the lower right of the screen that reads the lat/long (or UTM coordinate, depending on what projection/datum the map has been authored in) of wherever your cursor is, like so:



***Edited to add:
For simplicity's sake, I think I'm going to use a geographic (lat/long) datum for all of these maps instead of UTM coordinates. Many - if not ALL - of the trail sections run across 2 utm zones in one day. There are only a handful of 'regions' to this map set and 14 UTM Zones across Canada. I can imagine that changing your coordinate system on a daily basis would get a little tedious, not to mention confusing if you forgot one day.

GISdood screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 08:55 AM
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #2544
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho
Oddometer: 997
A bump to get this back to page 1

Who's planning on riding the whole route this Summer ?

Will a set of paper maps still be available .

I'm fairly certain I'll be riding the route West to East.
Since I'm in Idaho and the prevailing winds blow east it
seems like the best option.

So my start date will depend on the opening of the section through the Rockies.

Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
é senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #2545
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
A bump to get this back to page 1

Who's planning on riding the whole route this Summer ?

Will a set of paper maps still be available .

I'm fairly certain I'll be riding the route West to East.
Since I'm in Idaho and the prevailing winds blow east it
seems like the best option.

So my start date will depend on the opening of the section through the Rockies.

Max
Two groups that I know of are planning to ride the entire route.

Early July you "should" be able to get threw the mountains (typical year).

When you get to Ontario you've got a place to stay, work on bike, laundry, etc

Paper maps should be available shorty (calling GISDood to the courtesy phone )...well pdf files you can print off.

Cheers
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #2546
MANXMAN
Overlander
 
MANXMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: BRITISH Columbia
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post

I'm fairly certain I'll be riding the route West to East.
So my start date will depend on the opening of the section through the Rockies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Early July you "should" be able to get threw the mountains (typical year).
There also may be problems in early July before you get to the Rockies. The very first day going west will take you to the Poison Mnt. Technical section and could be too muddy to get through. After that the Big Bar reaction ferry may not be running because of the strong flow of the Fraser River that time of year. Lastly, the Nemaiah Valley can also be very muddy in early July. All three of these areas are fantastic and shouldn't be missed, but they all may have to be by-passed if we have another "bad" spring.

Everything will depend on the snowpack melt and wether or not we have a wet spring this year in BC.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #2547
sthamerica
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 48
Two Kiwis on the TCAT

We have plans to ride as much of the TCAT as we can over 8 weeks or so, commencing June 10th 2013 starting from St Johns and hopefully ending in Vancouver within that time frame.

We welcome all helpfull comments and advise, and good natured fellow riders to join us.

At this point we are trying to get a handle on the requirements for a foreigner buying, and importantly registering and insuring bikes in Canada.

Hopefully someone from a dealership, or individuals with experience in this matter will read this message and point us in the right direction.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #2548
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
I have no idea about buying a bike, registering and insuring in Canada for a non resident....sorry. Perhaps someone else has some information and can chime in ?

__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #2549
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
There also may be problems in early July before you get to the Rockies. The very first day going west will take you to the Poison Mnt. Technical section and could be too muddy to get through. After that the Big Bar reaction ferry may not be running because of the strong flow of the Fraser River that time of year. Lastly, the Nemaiah Valley can also be very muddy in early July. All three of these areas are fantastic and shouldn't be missed, but they all may have to be by-passed if we have another "bad" spring.

Everything will depend on the snowpack melt and wether or not we have a wet spring this year in BC.
Good info Ross, I'll add it to the route description
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #2550
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
We have plans to ride as much of the TCAT as we can over 8 weeks or so, commencing June 10th 2013 starting from St Johns and hopefully ending in Vancouver within that time frame.

We welcome all helpfull comments and advise, and good natured fellow riders to join us.

At this point we are trying to get a handle on the requirements for a foreigner buying, and importantly registering and insuring bikes in Canada.

Hopefully someone from a dealership, or individuals with experience in this matter will read this message and point us in the right direction.
I've registered vehicles to non residents. All you need is a Canadian address and your I.d. AS Far as insurance goes. I wouldn't think any insurance Co. would oppose taking your money

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014