ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,038
I'm not sure if this works on the iPhone, but I can do it w/ Android...

After you create your route in Google Maps on the PC, scroll down to the bottom of the directions and click 'Save to My Maps'. (You'll need to have a free Google / GMail account for this).

On your device, open the Google Maps app. From there, go to 'My Places' (on Android, it's in the 'Layer' button that looks like a stack of papers) and open your directions. Voila!
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
mbishara
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I'm not sure if this works on the iPhone, but I can do it w/ Android...

After you create your route in Google Maps on the PC, scroll down to the bottom of the directions and click 'Save to My Maps'. (You'll need to have a free Google / GMail account for this).

On your device, open the Google Maps app. From there, go to 'My Places' (on Android, it's in the 'Layer' button that looks like a stack of papers) and open your directions. Voila!
Yes this also works on the iPhone. And the Google Maps app now has turn by turn voice directions.


http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
bdolnik
Adventurer
 
bdolnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Spacecoaster
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Yes this also works on the iPhone. And the Google Maps app now has turn by turn voice directions.
Are you SURE this is the case? I can not find a way to get this to work. I have many saved routes in my Google Maps profile on the PC, and I have setup Google Maps on the iPhone with the same profile. Only searches, home and work show up on the iPhone. None of the saved routes (maps). Have you actually done this or are you just thinking it works?
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
surferbum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
Are you SURE this is the case? I can not find a way to get this to work. I have many saved routes in my Google Maps profile on the PC, and I have setup Google Maps on the iPhone with the same profile. Only searches, home and work show up on the iPhone. None of the saved routes (maps). Have you actually done this or are you just thinking it works?
He's just wishing. I wish it could do that too.
__________________
2014 KTM690 Enduro R; 2010 R1200GS & 2007 Versys sold
BT2012 ICT 2012 nOObs DV
BT2011.2 - This time only 1 NF ... BT2011 - Big Trip 2011 15 Days of Ridin' ...
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Bleemus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Winhall, Vermont
Oddometer: 461
I tried the Motion-x directions above and the route I created in Google Maps shows as 14 separate tracks in Motion-x. Is there a setting on GPS visualizer that will make this all one track?
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Bleemus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Winhall, Vermont
Oddometer: 461
Just realized that Motion-x can't do do turn by turn directions and doesn't do Bluetooth audio. Another fail.

Their Drive product does turn by turn but you can't import gpx files. Sigh.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I tried the Motion-x directions above and the route I created in Google Maps shows as 14 separate tracks in Motion-x. Is there a setting on GPS visualizer that will make this all one track?
Not sure if this answers your question, but here is how I do it in pictures.

First, map your route. This is a Google Map route and not a track, but . . .


Save the KML file from Google Maps. Locate a free KML converter:


Convert the file and download the GPX:


E-mail the GPX file to GPSimport@motionx.com. From your iPhone, click the link to import to Motion X, which leads to this:





The file shows up with "all tracks" with the "Driving directions . . ." title from Google:


Here's the imported track:

__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Bleemus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Winhall, Vermont
Oddometer: 461
I did everything as you did but used a different converter site. Trying it with kml2gpx.com fixed it. Shows as one single route now.

Still going to give up on MotionX though for the following reasons.

No turn by turn audio.

No Bluetooth headset linking.

Too bad as it is close.

Also too bad that their Drive product which has turn by turn does not allow route imports.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Bleemus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Winhall, Vermont
Oddometer: 461
Actually realized my mistake when creating the route in Google Maps. I was clicking on the route and selecting "Set Destination" at multiple points along my intended route. That is why I ended up with so many tracks. If you do a start point and an end point and drag the given route to what you want it shows as a single route after conversion. Doh!
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014