Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #1457
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
Thanks!
On other bikes, I've had very good success with heating the hub with a heat gun. I've had 2 sets basically drop out of the wheel after heating and flipping the wheel over. Usually a minimum of tapping is all that is needed to get them out once heated.

Same for installation as well, except the bearings usually go in the freezer for a half hour before I try to install them in the heated hub.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #1458
westy1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Noob - how to check wheel bearings

Hi folks,

I recently bought a used 09 800GS with 20,000kms.

It is under factory warranty until April and I will get it into the dealer for a look over/service before then - but in the meantime - is there a link or sticky to "How to check your wheel bearings"?

I've read through the vast majority of this thread and searched - but my eye's may have glassed over and missed it..

Appreciate any help.
westy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #1459
westy1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzIuzvr6Nc

Thanks Motoriley!
westy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #1460
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
A question for those in the know -
I am replacing the bearings in my F800GS.
The seals that the bearing shop had were 8mm thick instead of 7mm. Will these be OK or should I look around for some 7mm thick seals?
Thanks
Paul
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #1461
motorad666
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Liquified Rear Wheel Bearing

This past weekend I was riding my 2009 F800 GS over the Mirror Lake Highway (Route 150, from Evanston, WY to Kamas, Utah), and had a rear bearing fail, disintegrate, liquify, whatever you want to call it. 11,000 miles on my bike. Were there warning signs? I guess. I am counting my blessings that I was able to walk away from this, because had I not stopped at a summit view area, I would have been going down a steep mountain pass with switchbacks and plenty of oncoming traffic. I am still more or less in shock that this didn't end in bodily harm. Read the full story here: http://itsallaboutthebike.com/bmw-f8...ophic-failure/

motorad666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #1462
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Melted

Wow! Glad you rode that one out.
Any pics of your shorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorad666 View Post
This past weekend I was riding my 2009 F800 GS over the Mirror Lake Highway (Route 150, from Evanston, WY to Kamas, Utah), and had a rear bearing fail, disintegrate, liquify, whatever you want to call it. 11,000 miles on my bike. Were there warning signs? I guess. I am counting my blessings that I was able to walk away from this, because had I not stopped at a summit view area, I would have been going down a steep mountain pass with switchbacks and plenty of oncoming traffic. I am still more or less in shock that this didn't end in bodily harm. Read the full story here: http://itsallaboutthebike.com/bmw-f8...ophic-failure/

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #1463
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
I bet the axle is going to be a difficult removal.
Any chance the wheel bearings were lubricated, or inspected in the last 4 years ?
Has your bike done any deep water crossings, or been assaulted with a PRESSURE Washer ?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #1464
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Sweet zombie daywalkers...what did you do?

How much noise would that have made?

I had my front bearings start to fail and straight away could feel it. The rear bearing started, I knew something was wrong immediately. By the time I got home each time they were beyond saving, but just noisy with a lot of freeplay. Minor damage to external seal.

The high number of water crossings I do, in combination with high load and some high speed tar runs mean I go through bearings. I'm on my 4th front wheel set, and third rear now.

But that...that goes beyond comprehension.

Do you ride with earplugs? Genuine question.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #1465
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,261
eve of 4 year anniversary of this thread,,,,

sooo here we are again ,,,,samo samo,,,,same melody,,,different victim

24 August 2009,

a few days shy of 1,260 days
and,,,the beat goes on....

when will they ever learn???
when will they ever ......

been there n done that too many times,,
welcome to the club Motorad666

enjoyed your pics n story..glad you're here still to share the saga

kudos to ya

woody

OBTW,,i too would like pics of your drawers

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #1466
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Woody, I've been checking out your website of late, very nice by the way.

What wheel bearings do the aftermarket hubs for the GS wheels use? How difficult is it to modify these? (put extra bearing in on both sides to handle higher loads?)

I've had several failures, but accept that with full loads and lots of water crossings that these are more likely a direct consequence of me being lazy and not completely stripping, washing, and relubing after the weekend adventures. I use a marine rated grease, with added molybdenum.

I was thinking that an extra set of bearings, and a grease nipple on the hub, remove the internal seals, and have the ability to just pump some grease in and force the water and contaminated grease out would be the way forward for the discerning lazy gentleman.

Or am I being overly lazy and discerning?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #1467
motorad666
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Pictures of my Drawers

For those that want them, I didn't take any. Sorry.

Woody: the sad thing here, or one of the sadder things: I had just bought a front wheel from you to replace a bent and cracked stock wheel. I came really close to buying the full set, but couldn't swing it at the time. Dang. I'm sure wishing I had!

Water crossings, yes, I've been through a few. Pressure washers, never.

I also had new tires put on by a reputable shop here in SLC and they tell me they always check the bearings for obvious signs of wear, but they don't give much warning.

I am not kidding: the rear wheel made no noise. Very little feedback from the bike that something was horribly wrong, except the ABS light went on on my instrument panel, probably from the sensor melting, and that's what prompted me to pull over.
motorad666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1468
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Bearing's on the billet F800GS hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

What wheel bearings do the aftermarket hubs for the GS wheels use? How difficult is it to modify these? (put extra bearing in on both sides to handle higher loads?)

I've had several failures, but accept that with full loads and lots of water crossings that these are more likely a direct consequence of me being lazy and not completely stripping, washing, and relubing after the weekend adventures. I use a marine rated grease, with added molybdenum.

I was thinking that an extra set of bearings, and a grease nipple on the hub, remove the internal seals, and have the ability to just pump some grease in and force the water and contaminated grease out would be the way forward for the discerning lazy gentleman.

Thanks for the kudo's on the website, still a work in progress.

The billet hub's we use from RAD MFG. use 5 total bearings with the hub and sprocket carrier. There are 3 6304 bearing's(20 x 52 x 15mm), and 2 ea. 60/28 (28 x 52 x 12mm) in the sprocket carrier. The oem hub uses three total 6204 bearings (20 x 47 x 12mm) 2 in the hub and 1 in the carrier. So there is a much greater load carrying capacity with the billet hub, which is stronger and keeps the bearing's from heating up easier.

The hub is also built from a KTM 990 adv. hub/ carrier which we use a brake adapter to allow the use of the oem rotor/sensor ring. The hub is also a much stronger lace pattern than the oem wheel's.

The main reason's why the oem bearing's fail is because the bearing bore is machined too small and crushes the bearing's and along with barely any grease in the bearing's allows the bearing's to heat up quicker and fail.

We prefer to use double sealed bearing's and re-grease them by taking the seal's off the bearing's and greasing them with Green Grease water proof grease on all the wheel's we build.

Thanks Zach
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #1469
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

my 2 cents Snowy regarding this issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

LOL,,now YOU are talking my language..discerning ,,,lazy,,,,gentleman,,,,and in my case a FF too

i see Zach handled all the technical data,,so here's a lill more stuff to ease your mind....

When i came upon Tmex thread and read all the crazy notions about inferior bearings being the cause of this problem,,and bearing spacers too short etc etc and when there appeared to be a pattern of disc bearing always going out first,,,,[even the best brands of bearings would suffer the same consequences],,,my crap detector immediately went after measuring the bearing bore..and lo n behold the disc side bore was circa .0015'' under a safe spec the other side circa .0005-.001'' under sized....

having built/designed hundreds of hubs for all sorts of projects i knew .0005'' was the crush they needed {a quick check with my sources at BMW revealed that the blueprint BMW gave a certain Italien subcontractor was speced correctly with same spec .....we re-bored both sides to the optimal dimension,,,repacked the new bearings with the proper amount of hi-speed boat trailer waterproof grease..Voila the oem set up works just fine,,,

my customers that had the repair done have routinely chimed in on this thread /reported back to me they have 50-60,000trouble free miles behind them...most doing all the same stuff you wrote about ie ''adventure riding''..we ALWAYS use double sealed bearings ,,,WHY??? because of the proclivity for water to get inside the hub via the space between bearings and axle..FYI,,when the hub is warm and ya put it under water a vacuum is formed by the air molecules cooling down,,hence getting water into hub...i noticed over the years how manyfailed dirt/enduro bike bearings came back toasted...the japs would use single/outer seals on their bearings...

light up a fatty or two ,JUST KIDDING

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 03:14 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #1470
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorad666 View Post
This past weekend ...Read the full story here: http://itsallaboutthebike.com/bmw-f8...ophic-failure/
Good write up. Glad to see you are still up right. My F800 is dead (due to front tire deflation) but I can tell you from experience that your ending is way better than mine was. Spend the money. Get wiser. Continue to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post

LOL,,now YOU are talking my language..discerning ,,,lazy,,,,gentleman,,,,and in my case a FF too

i see Zach handled all the technical data,,so here's a lill more stuff to ease your mind....

When i came upon Tmex thread and read all the crazy notions about inferior bearings being the cause of this problem,,and bearing spacers too short etc etc and when there appeared to be a pattern of disc bearing always going out first,,,,[even the best brands of bearings would suffer the same consequences],,,my crap detector immediately went after measuring the bearing bore..and lo n behold the disc side bore was circa .0015'' under a safe spec the other side circa .0005-.001'' under sized....

having built/designed hundreds of hubs for all sorts of projects i knew .0005'' was the crush they needed {a quick check with my sources at BMW revealed that the blueprint BMW gave a certain Italien subcontractor was speced correctly with same spec .....we re-bored both sides to the optimal dimension,,,repacked the new bearings with the proper amount of hi-speed boat trailer waterproof grease..Voila the oem set up works just fine,,,

my customers that had the repair done have routinely chimed in on this thread /reported back to me they have 50-60,000trouble free miles behind them...most doing all the same stuff you wrote about ie ''adventure riding''..we ALWAYS use double sealed bearings ,,,WHY??? because of the proclivity for water to get inside the hub via the space between bearings and axle..FYI,,when the hub is warm and ya put it under water a vacuum is formed by the air molecules cooling down,,hence getting water into hub...i noticed over the years how manyfailed dirt/enduro bike bearings came back toasted...the japs would use single/outer seals on their bearings...

light up a fatty or two ,JUST KIDDING

woody

Woody, great explanation. I've followed this conversation from the beginning. I replaced my bearings but did not service the hub. My bike appears to have been acceptable for hub tolerance because of mileage (124k miles). But as I consider new bikes, if I were to buy another F800 the first item would be hub verification. Motorrad666's experience is all to common. As stated, same story different victim. Sad....
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote