User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 151 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #1681
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Leaving on a new adventure at 6 Am, gonna try to be an ice road trucker.

Will try to keep you up to date.
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #1682
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,934
You'd better!

We don't expect a lot, as long as you check in every half hour or so I'm sure no one will bother you for stories!

I'm a little jealous I must admit, but hope to see you there in 2014.

Best of luck!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #1683
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
You'd better!

I'm a little jealous I must admit, but hope to see you there in 2014.

Still not too late for an '013 adventure ..
Pro Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #1684
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,463
How's the cell coverage on the ice roads? Any? I figure the mines and towns have at least one tower each, but maybe there's a market for a skiddable tower to deploy on the ice in select spots in winter.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #1685
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Interesting idea. There is coverage in Yellowknife as long as you're with Bell, and I believe that Telus has started to provide some service there too, lately. On the ice, though - nothing at all. You'd only need to head a few KMs out of town on the Ingraham Trail and you'll never get any coverage again until you go over the north pole and start coming back down the other side! Nothing at the mines or camps.

I used to have a girlfriend who lived about 18 Kms north of Yellowknife on the Ingraham Trail and there was no cell service at her cabin there, but she was in a small dip and I seem to remember her saying that on the top of the hill there was a weak signal.

A portable tower that you towed on the ice would be super cool! But, I know how things work up there and as soon as you implemented that they'd introduce a new rule banning the use of cell phones on the ice road.

I don't know whether Unique458 has a smart phone or not, but I hope that he'll drop us the odd line from YK if he has the chance.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1686
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,463
Maybe instead of a temporary tower, put one on a small tension leg platform so it can stay out there year-round.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #1687
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Just thought I'd check in since I have a few minutes , i have currently made it to Winnipeg well i'm roughly 4 hours from Winnipeg In a small town called Dauphin MT . From here I am only about 45 km from where I will be picking up the truck to head up to Edmonton.

Will be here for tonight at the motel, because where I'm picking up the truck tomorrow, there is no motel , As long as there's Wi-Fi I should be able to check in for the next few days but once in Yellowknife and start running the ice roads I may not be able to check in too often.
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1688
ChazCable
Mechanic

Oddometer: 49
Hey Unique458, driving anything nice? Safe trip to Edmunton,
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1689
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
So my question is the trucks up there older stuff is mechanical or pre- emission engines or are there new trucks running around to. Just asking because with new emission stuff needing regents and exhaust fluid, the cold up there would cause havoc with the stuff.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #1690
ChazCable
Mechanic

There are new 2013's up there, Dad says there is trouble with the DEF freezing alot with the new trucks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #1691
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
So my question is the trucks up there older stuff is mechanical or pre- emission engines or are there new trucks running around to. Just asking because with new emission stuff needing regents and exhaust fluid, the cold up there would cause havoc with the stuff.
Most "NEW THINGS" tend to break until the bugs are sorted out -- that said, however, if you are referring to cooler temperature effects on DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), most systems that use it have systems built in that can deal with "most" cold, and there has been testing done.

When engine and exhaust temps are low and immediately after startup, you don't need DEF right away. So even if it is frozen up, it is no huge deal. It thaws out (as much as it can) and most systems circulate rad-fluid thru a 'heater' of sorts to help thaw out the DEF. You can also use heater blankets etc. Basically if you can keep your fuel from gelling up, you can keep your DEF from being an icecube.

That said, I am sure that some new tech stuff will break, and as this thread demonstrated, way up NORTH it will usually be in a FANTASTIC and CATASTROPHIC manner! ;-)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #1692
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable View Post
There are new 2013's up there, Dad says there is trouble with the DEF freezing alot with the new trucks
DEF itself freezing is not a problem, as above, it is when it stays frozen and does not thaw! (but that usually indicates another problem anyways!).

On paper, it is not supposed to be a problem. I have operated in some COLD stuff in Northern BC, but not ICEROAD cold ... so who knows real world what will happen until it is tested/broken!

http://www.discoverdef.ca/def-overview/faq/#freeze
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1693
ChazCable
Mechanic

The problem with a new western star was that the heater element didnt go all the way to the bottom of the tank, she acctually froze up while driving, spittin out 12 trouble codes, CAT mechanical anyday!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #1694
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Yeah I'd like a Cat mechanical ideally, too.

The new DEF systems do cause trouble, but to the best of my knowledge Macks give 99% of the problems. As soon as you get a genuine cold snap up there (-40c and below), there are new Macks sputtering to a halt all up and down the road. On portages, on lakes, it doesn't matter to a Mack - they'll break down anywhere! (In those conditions).

You have to remember that up there you're above the tree line so there is no shelter from the wind, and the wind chill is a major factor. Many people say that the wind chill is only to do with the effect of the cold on skin, but believe me it makes a difference to mechanicals too.

-40c is sort of a significant point on the temperature scale, steel acts differently when it becomes that cold. It is much more brittle and much more likely to break. The City of Yellowknife, for instance, is very reluctant to grade the roads at -40c or below because the grader blades can simply start falling apart with only average use.

Back to the mechanical engines, the KW T800 that I drove for two seasons and the Pete I most recently drove both had the same 435E Cat engine in (one step newer than the 425 mechanical) and neither gave any cold related problems at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #1695
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I'm a tech at a Cummins dealer so I'm familiar with everything, just would hate to be way out there and something malfunctions and then there you sit. We had some cold weather lately and a lot of after treatment issues were the main reason the stuff was towed in. I'd personally wanna have a pretty 07 emission engine so there's no worries about plugging the filter or catalyst.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: