Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #3916
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,601
Your a lucky man Anti - thank God. Small bike big deer is a bitch.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #3917
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Question

Hello from Houston. Got a question for ya'll. Any Dual Sporters from around the Gulfport, Biloxi/ Pass Christian area? I lived in Pearlington in the mid 60's as a kid and there's a place I explored on foot and was wondering if it is still there after the last couple of Hurricanes. Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #3918
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post

Then there was a grayish-brown blur from the right and I had enough time to think "DEER!!!!" and slam on the brakes. I learned a few things in the next half second:

1) The ABS on the Tenere make a distinctive chuffing sound on chip-n-seal pavement.
2) If you scream like a little girl inside your helmet, the deer won't hear it.
3) It's better to hit a small deer with a big bike than a big deer with a small bike.

So the bars shimmied, the bike shook, I stayed upright and in my lane and just about crapped my pants. I looked down and saw a fog light out of place so I headed for the nearest wide spot on the shoulder for a damage assessment. Pulled off the road and nearly dropped the bike when the bars wouldn't turn right because the foglight was jammed in the way.

So collected my thoughts, put the foglight back and rode on home. My foot is a little sore and the front fender will need to be replaced at some point. All in all, it was a worse day for the deer I'm sure.
Wow, I'm glad your close encounter of the furry kind wasn't any worse.
babarnette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #3919
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Well my riding today wasn't anything exciting by y'alls standards but I rode around the neighborhood 2up with my 6 yr. old just about all afternoon. We'd get home and 20 minutes later he was asking to go again. Lol
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #3920
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Hello from Houston. Got a question for ya'll. Any Dual Sporters from around the Gulfport, Biloxi/ Pass Christian area? I lived in Pearlington in the mid 60's as a kid and there's a place I explored on foot and was wondering if it is still there after the last couple of Hurricanes. Dave
I don't think Pearlington is there after the last couple of hurricanes. Actually it is, I've been there since Katrina, but it sure is different. I'm not from the coast , but make it that way pretty often and have friends in Pearlington. What are you looking for?
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #3921
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, there actually a lot MORE to explore since Katrina. Lots of people didn't build back.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #3922
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
Wow! Glad it wasn't worse than that. Hope that foot is ok. Good to see you today and that baby is too pretty!
Good to see you too! Thanks for stopping by. That baby is the prettiest baby in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Deer strikes are no fun. Looksike you faired pretty good all things considered. My strike back in '09 cost a $1000 to fix my bandit 1250 and I never crashed. I did kill the deer with a Givi sidebag. S10 ABS system is the best it saved me yesterday on a right hand curve on a gravel road that I made straight into the ditch and back up the incline. I'm a believer now because if it had not been for the abs and unified braking system I would have crashed for sure.
I think the fender will be about $115, so yeah, I got off easy on that. And yes, the ABS works quite well. I didn't go back to the scene of the crime, but I would have been interesting to look at the tire tracks. I heard a distinct "chuff, chuff, chuff" before impact which was either me hyperventilating or the ABS working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Your a lucky man Anti - thank God. Small bike big deer is a bitch.
Yep. Very lucky. I thought about yours and EBW's wrecks and how much worse it could have ended up while I was calming down.

babarnette- thanks. I tried to quote you too but vbulletin is acting up...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #3923
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,546
Glad you are o.k. Anti!
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3924
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think Pearlington is there after the last couple of hurricanes. Actually it is, I've been there since Katrina, but it sure is different. I'm not from the coast , but make it that way pretty often and have friends in Pearlington. What are you looking for?
.. I lived in Pearlington off old 90 in a subdivision called Oak Harbor. It was within a couple of miles of the Miss/Lou border at the Pearl River. I'll be able to send you a google earth pic later this evening when I get home from work of the area I am interested in. But until then, it's 1967 and I'm in 5th grade, some friends and I being the boys we all were went for a long walk at the back of the neighborhood. Kinda like the movie "Stand by Me". I'm sure my recollections are grander then the actual experience but that's what 46 years can do to your memories.
It was an old old totally grown over dirt road but still visible to the eye if you looked real hard. It went due south for what seemed like many miles but I'm quite sure it was only a couple now, maybe 3 or 4 at best. The size of the oak trees we found were just amazing. I've never seen there equal and the canopy above prevented anything from growing underneath them. There were at least six of us and when we locked our hands together around the base we could not complete the circle. They had been there hundreds of years and I dearly hope that they withstood the storms. it would be more then a shame to see them gone. I could go on for ever about this place but I gotta go to work. More later....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #3925
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

The big fancy "speak easy" at the mouth of the pearl river that was only accessible by boat or train.... It's completely gone except for some of the tiles from the pool... It's just west of the fishing camp we had (notice I said "had") at La France Marina. If it was within 10 or so miles of there, I'd say the chance of those trees being there is slim. That was ground zero.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #3926
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,200
Howse that foot feel today, Anti? Glad you survived that run in with the woods rats!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #3927
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
The big fancy "speak easy" at the mouth of the pearl river that was only accessible by boat or train.... It's completely gone except for some of the tiles from the pool... It's just west of the fishing camp we had (notice I said "had") at La France Marina. If it was within 10 or so miles of there, I'd say the chance of those trees being there is slim. That was ground zero.
I'd guess they are gone too. A lot of that area is just grassland now. Katrina made its second landfall AT Pearlington.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #3928
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Howse that foot feel today, Anti? Glad you survived that run in with the woods rats!
Foot and ankle are tender, but nothing broken or sprained. If I had been wearing better boots I doubt it would hurt at all. Those old Gaerne trials boots are pretty much shot from a protection standpoint.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #3929
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd guess they are gone too. A lot of that area is just grassland now. Katrina made its second landfall AT Pearlington.
Thats a shame. We found an old small grave yard, maybe three or four graves only, surrounded by a wrote iron fence out there under those trees. I guess those are washed away too. All that history gone now. I've got family and friends in Gulfport and have wanted to bring my scoot next time I visit and check the place out. Maybe I should'nt and just keep my memories of that time and place where they are, still wonderfully larger than life.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #3930
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,546
DavidQ, Knightwork, Kingsized, dirtroadsnms and I met for breakfast this morning. I believe this was the first time everyone had met dirtroadsnms as he is new to the forum. After a eating a hearty breakfast and telling lies, well, everyone else did, Knightwork, dirtroadsnms and I decided to ride.

I managed to find some .gpx files that BW and Trophy had posted, so we decided to try those routes. The routes took as east through Bienville all the way to Chunky both north and south of the interstate. I believe part of BW's route is the New Years Day route. Both of the routes had some dirt and some nice curvy roads; good job fellas! Thanks for making those available!

We rode to within fifteen miles or so of Chunky and I texted BW to see what he was up to, thinking we might catch up to him since he was nearby, but my junky phone didn't receive his reply until we had headed back west. It was at this stop that Knightwork decided to go home since he had worked all night and said he was tired, although I don't know why he was so tired, he doesn't do a damn thing at work.

Anyway, dirtroadsnms and I decided to keep rolling. We ate at the grill in the Spaceway gas station in Chunky; the food wasn't bad for a grill in a gas station in Chunky! The rest of the ride was fantastic, although I wish it was just five or so degrees warmer. We made it back to Brandon at about 5:40, but we would have been there sooner if the sheriff's deputy hadn't been in my way on Shiloh Road. I flashed his ass a couple of times, but he wouldn't pull over.

Unfortunately, I forgot to grab my camera off the counter before we left and my phone was giving me troubles taking pictures, so I don't have many. Here are the ones I took:

Meet dirtroadsnms:

Some gravel:

Some curvy gravel:

Dirtroadsnms found some dirt roads in MS:

It was a real pleasure meeting and riding with you today dirtroadsnms! I hope we get to ride together again soon!
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote