ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #3916
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BradH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brandon/Port Gibson, MS
Oddometer: 272
The big fancy "speak easy" at the mouth of the pearl river that was only accessible by boat or train.... It's completely gone except for some of the tiles from the pool... It's just west of the fishing camp we had (notice I said "had") at La France Marina. If it was within 10 or so miles of there, I'd say the chance of those trees being there is slim. That was ground zero.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #3917
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Howse that foot feel today, Anti? Glad you survived that run in with the woods rats!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #3918
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
The big fancy "speak easy" at the mouth of the pearl river that was only accessible by boat or train.... It's completely gone except for some of the tiles from the pool... It's just west of the fishing camp we had (notice I said "had") at La France Marina. If it was within 10 or so miles of there, I'd say the chance of those trees being there is slim. That was ground zero.
I'd guess they are gone too. A lot of that area is just grassland now. Katrina made its second landfall AT Pearlington.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #3919
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Howse that foot feel today, Anti? Glad you survived that run in with the woods rats!
Foot and ankle are tender, but nothing broken or sprained. If I had been wearing better boots I doubt it would hurt at all. Those old Gaerne trials boots are pretty much shot from a protection standpoint.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #3920
my6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
my6's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Spring Branch/Houston,Texas
Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
I'd guess they are gone too. A lot of that area is just grassland now. Katrina made its second landfall AT Pearlington.
Thats a shame. We found an old small grave yard, maybe three or four graves only, surrounded by a wrote iron fence out there under those trees. I guess those are washed away too. All that history gone now. I've got family and friends in Gulfport and have wanted to bring my scoot next time I visit and check the place out. Maybe I should'nt and just keep my memories of that time and place where they are, still wonderfully larger than life.
__________________
Check your Six
04/625 SXC
98/200/MXC
my6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #3921
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
DavidQ, Knightwork, Kingsized, dirtroadsnms and I met for breakfast this morning. I believe this was the first time everyone had met dirtroadsnms as he is new to the forum. After a eating a hearty breakfast and telling lies, well, everyone else did, Knightwork, dirtroadsnms and I decided to ride.

I managed to find some .gpx files that BW and Trophy had posted, so we decided to try those routes. The routes took as east through Bienville all the way to Chunky both north and south of the interstate. I believe part of BW's route is the New Years Day route. Both of the routes had some dirt and some nice curvy roads; good job fellas! Thanks for making those available!

We rode to within fifteen miles or so of Chunky and I texted BW to see what he was up to, thinking we might catch up to him since he was nearby, but my junky phone didn't receive his reply until we had headed back west. It was at this stop that Knightwork decided to go home since he had worked all night and said he was tired, although I don't know why he was so tired, he doesn't do a damn thing at work.

Anyway, dirtroadsnms and I decided to keep rolling. We ate at the grill in the Spaceway gas station in Chunky; the food wasn't bad for a grill in a gas station in Chunky! The rest of the ride was fantastic, although I wish it was just five or so degrees warmer. We made it back to Brandon at about 5:40, but we would have been there sooner if the sheriff's deputy hadn't been in my way on Shiloh Road. I flashed his ass a couple of times, but he wouldn't pull over.

Unfortunately, I forgot to grab my camera off the counter before we left and my phone was giving me troubles taking pictures, so I don't have many. Here are the ones I took:


Meet dirtroadsnms:


Some gravel:



Some curvy gravel:



Dirtroadsnms found some dirt roads in MS:



It was a real pleasure meeting and riding with you today dirtroadsnms! I hope we get to ride together again soon!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #3922
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
After around 9am, I was between Enterprise and Rose Hill, not in Chunky. And when you stopped for lunch, you were in Lost Gap, not Chunky. Its on the otherside of Meehan!

I spent way too much time on the 2x4 seat of the CRF230... but had a blast! !!!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3923
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 792
Good seeing Supah, KW and DQ this morning and meeting Jim. I hope to catch a ride later with him.

DQ, best of luck at the doctor tomorrow! I hope it goes well.

Started out for Picayune for a Kingcake but wasn't feeling it. Went home and washed my bike for the first time since my wreck. It was tough! There was still baked cow shit from our levee ride that day. I also caught up on some overdue tweaking and maintenance. It was a good day.
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #3924
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
After around 9am, I was between Enterprise and Rose Hill, not in Chunky. And when you stopped for lunch, you were in Lost Gap, not Chunky. Its on the otherside of Meehan!

I spent way too much time on the 2x4 seat of the CRF230... but had a blast! !!!
Only someone from Chunky would make that correction!!!!! But, you are right, we were not in Chunky.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #3925
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
Good seeing Supah, KW and DQ this morning and meeting Jim. I hope to catch a ride later with him.

DQ, best of luck at the doctor tomorrow! I hope it goes well.

Started out for Picayune for a Kingcake but wasn't feeling it. Went home and washed my bike for the first time since my wreck. It was tough! There was still baked cow shit from our levee ride that day. I also caught up on some overdue tweaking and maintenance. It was a good day.

Glad you had a good day! Wish you would have ridden with us!

BTW, dirtroadsnms real name is Greg, not Jim.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #3926
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Only someone from Chunky would make that correction!!!!! But, you are right, we were not in Chunky.
Im not FROM Chunky. Ive never lived there.

My parents moved there while I was in college. . LOL
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #3927
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Im not FROM Chunky. Ive never lived there.

My parents moved there while I was in college. . LOL
Only someone from Chunky would claim not to be from Chunky. (No offense to Chunky).

Wherever you were, we were hoping to catch up with you and watch you do some awesome jumps or something really spectacular. I trust you had a good day?
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #3928
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Glad you had a good day! Wish you would have ridden with us!

BTW, dirtroadsnms real name is Greg, not Jim.
You know, I thought so but I'm so bad with names, I trusted DQ memory over mine. Heck, anyone's over mine.
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #3929
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Only someone from Chunky would claim not to be from Chunky. (No offense to Chunky).

Wherever you were, we were hoping to catch up with you and watch you do some awesome jumps or something really spectacular. I trust you had a good day?


It was great except for one friend who is crazy and new to bikes with clutches. She paniced twice. Once shooting of down a hill between trees, the other coming out if a mud hole, wiping out and charging into the bike I was sitting on laughing at her!!!!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #3930
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
You know, I thought so but I'm so bad with names, I trusted DQ memory over mine. Heck, anyone's over mine.
Yeah, I'm like you, I have to really practice paying attention someti....hey look, a chicken!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015