Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #5476
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widz View Post
Thanks for the vid links.

Did you measure the weight saving? Is that exhaust heavier than other options as its a box shape similar to oe?

My trusty arm-o-meter says it's just over half the weight of the standard exhaust. As for other pipes weight, no idea. Ultimately, I just really fancied the looks of the LV and the meatier sound is a small bonus.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #5477
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
For anybody that's done the 19" Vstrom front wheel conversion, I have a question.

Did you alter the front suspension at all? Maybe drop the top triple down a little? Or get a different rear spring? I haven't completed the swap yet, but wondering if the geometry will be off when I do?
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #5478
Newsshooter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I bought a green one a few months ago. I'll be getting it ready to ride to Alaska this summer. It's my first street bike in over 10 years. Sold my R6 race bike to get the versys.

Craig
Newsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #5479
Widz
05 lurker.950adv/sm rider

Oddometer: 81
Very impressed with this bike. For something so economical it is very stylish and well designed, with good features. Light and super easy to paddle around.

Not a fan of hard luggage so its just this atm until I replace my soft panniers. Takes a 100l kit bag across the back no problemo.

KTM
Widz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #5480
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Kawasaki Versys

Was thinking of taking a look at these for wifey and I too ride around the back roads of northern Maine. Anyone got one? Pro's, Con's? Will it be comfortable riding 2 I am 5'8 190 and she is 5'2" 120.
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #5481
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2dualsport View Post
Was thinking of taking a look at these for wifey and I too ride around the back roads of northern Maine. Anyone got one? Pro's, Con's? Will it be comfortable riding 2 I am 5'8 190 and she is 5'2" 120.
With a seat change it will be just fine I am 6ft 225 and the wife is 5 ft2 100 lbs and we are fine on mine
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #5482
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
With a seat change it will be just fine I am 6ft 225 and the wife is 5 ft2 100 lbs and we are fine on mine

Nice too hear! I have been without a bike for a couple years now, I was riding an xr 650 on/off more geared toward off road and I could throw that around the tight trails pretty good for a smaller guy, my riding buddies never had to wait up anyway. I got rid of it because the wife would not ride the 4 wheeler which would allow me to ride the XR, and the XR was not designed to ride 2. Fast forward a couple years and I have the itch too ride again because the sled thing just doesn't satisfy my cravings ( not enough snow ). So if I get a bike she can ride on I don't have to feel guilty about leaving her behind. How comfortable are you riding logging roads with the Versys? I don't think I will be trying any single track with it but there are miles and miles of logging roads and ATV trails in northern Maine I would like too explore and I only want one bike. I rode with a guy who had a Vstrom and I liked it but the Versys on the used market is a better deal IMO
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #5483
Kevin2Wheels
08 530 exc-r

Oddometer: 20
Great Rear Rack option for the Versys

if you are interested in a great rear rack for your Versys, search out user ktmduals on http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12005

I bought one of these and it bolted on in about 10 mins. Great quality and it looks great.

http://kmullie.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...7969&k=tZgGHc2

http://kmullie.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...8061&k=2CvB5mG

Kevin2Wheels screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:49 PM Reason: broken links
Kevin2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #5484
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2dualsport View Post
Nice too hear! I have been without a bike for a couple years now, I was riding an xr 650 on/off more geared toward off road and I could throw that around the tight trails pretty good for a smaller guy, my riding buddies never had to wait up anyway. I got rid of it because the wife would not ride the 4 wheeler which would allow me to ride the XR, and the XR was not designed to ride 2. Fast forward a couple years and I have the itch too ride again because the sled thing just doesn't satisfy my cravings ( not enough snow ). So if I get a bike she can ride on I don't have to feel guilty about leaving her behind. How comfortable are you riding logging roads with the Versys? I don't think I will be trying any single track with it but there are miles and miles of logging roads and ATV trails in northern Maine I would like too explore and I only want one bike. I rode with a guy who had a Vstrom and I liked it but the Versys on the used market is a better deal IMO
It's fine on logging roads. Here's mine in Michaux State Forest in PA.

Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #5485
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I like the look of the yellow panniers!
BTW, where are the cool ds routes in Michaux State Forest?
Wait til I get around to making the yellow hand guards!

Can't remember. I had a route sheet handed out at a BMW rally. There's a thread about Michaux somewhere in ADV that's full of info. There's a ton of routes in the area. The ride laid out on that route sheet was about 100 miles. Great place to ride.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #5486
El Zilcho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi All, don't know if there are any Aussies in here, but what is with the dull brown colour we are stuck with for the current model? Do wish the yellow was available here!

Anyway, will hopefully be picking up one of these in the next few weeks, have been without a bike for about 5 years now and looking forward to getting back into it!

El Zilcho screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 12:47 AM
El Zilcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #5487
samk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
LOVE the brown!

Love the brown color - I think of it as 'milk chocolate' and it would b my first choice were I to luck into the funds to purchase new. Of course, I'm a chick, and you know how we are about chocolate!
samk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #5488
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
lol....

....and I happen to be a dude, who loves the brown too! And I've got the black/yellow, lol.......
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #5489
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,694
Any pics of the brown?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #5490
medic8008
n00b

Oddometer: 4
not to change topics, been riding 40+ years. finaly got the bike ive always wanted> picked up a 2012 versys last may and love it. better road performance than my klr and able to handle fire roads like a dream. so question i have installed a givi windscreen and am wondering if barkbuster storms will work with it.im not sure if the storms will hit the windscreen at full lock. would like the hand guards, its cold here in NYC in feb.
medic8008 is offline   Reply With Quote