oh my good

bravooooooooooo
reddogsibiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #2672
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Indonesia, a re-visit

Got tickets to Bali as Christmas present and off we were, together with my mother and brother, to the Indonesian "island of Gods". Hadn't been together with the family for a long time, but going together didn't mean that after some time together, we couldn't leave them off on the beach that they had been looking forward to, and go riding, the thing we had been longing for. It it was sort of a "best of both worlds" set-up for a holiday trip :)

There is something about Indonesia that made us want to go back after we had been there while on our RTW trip. Our definite favourites back then were the islands of Sumatra, Flores & Bali, but the first two, although being culturally rich and featuring some amazing landscapes, lack good tourist infrastructure, so they are not the best option for people who have come on a vacation hoping to stay at nice places and engage in tourist-oriented activities.In this respect, we (me and Kariina) and them (my mom and my brother) are of totally different orientation – over the years we became so used to staying at random digs that we almost ignored the fact that there are nicer places, too. We had always been staying at the cheapest place offering a secure place to park our bike, but this trip was different, and the people were different, too. As much as we would have liked to enjoy the nomadic life without any plans or bookings, just a map in our hands, we had to take care of the rest of the family and find places where their needs and expectations would be satisfied, too - where there would be beach, cultural events and souvenir shopping. So it was Bali on the plate, and everybody was happy.

The mighty mountains over Afghanistan, 50km north of Kabul. I've always dreamed to go here with my own bike and not just be limited with a Wakhan. Hopefully someday, when peace is upon its people...

Hindu Kush mountains on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan, near the famous Khyber pass.

Our rental bike in Bali - 7 USD per day (vario scooter you can get for 4 USD per day), it's a very underpowered 250cc Yamaha Byson, but fairly economical and enough for Indonesian highways. I was surprised at very heavy gearbox like Yamahas tend to do, but though smaller Yammies don't suffer under this. Even our WWII technology BMW farming tractor shifts more smooth... :)

At 250cc there's little comparison with a Byson, but hey, we all can dream...

Girls on the beach...

Seafood restaurant on the beach. Like everything else food is very cheap in Indonesia. Only beer is a little expensive - around 2 USD a bottle

Grilled corn seller - tastes good!

Nasi Gorent with fish, decent stuff!

That's me with my new friend.

Yes, some plants have red leaves in Indonesia.

A friendly woman working on ricefields stopped passing us by - she gave us some banana.

Inside Indonesian jungle...

tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #2673
tsiklonaut OP

Bali is fascinating in terms of being the only Hinduist island in the biggest Muslim country in the world. With a very long, vivid and highly spiritual culture of their own, they interestingly don't share much with the Indian hinduism, and are not looked very well upon by the Muslim majority, although Islam in Indonesia is far less radical than in Middle-Eastern countries. It's just mind boggling how much culture there is in Bali: from music, dance, poetry all the way to meditation. The Hindu weddings and funerals take a whole different definition, and their interpretation of reality is like from another dimension. In fact through the Western background that over simplifies religion it's hard to describe the highly vivid Hinduism, an utterly complex system of spirituality that you cannot convert, but have to be born into.

Reflections...

Working with a tractor on ricefields to recirculate the ground and prepare it for the new seeds. It's for the more richer people though, poorer do the same job with buffalos or even the usual cows.

The great epic of hindusim accompanied by the unique Balinese Gamelan music. They make very unusal movements during the show that lives through the Ramayana story, the greatest works known to man.

...::: LISTEN the Gamelan music of the Ramayana epics :::...

(The same Gamelan music I recorded on the spot, played by the same 20+ members band you can see in the background and in the front of the Ramayana actors. The drummers are on the right and the Gong-players are missing from the frames.)

A nocturnal transition over Indian ocean...

Indonesian boats (with the unique stabilizers) look to the ocean - every day they go fishing, often 2 times a day and each time they are dragged to dry.

All local use small mopeds - the best way to get around Indonesia.

All families fit on 'em.

A new day...

Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #2674
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,336
Awesome as always!

Byson .....maybe Yamaha?
I see the tuning forks.:)
OU812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #2675
tsiklonaut OP

A man between ricefields.

A muslim I met in Kalibukbuk - I gave him a proper islamic greeting and he couldn't believe it - a smile with a respect came into his face and he called for his family to greet us.

A shy girl on the street.

Balinese man Tom in a place called Lovina - we had a long chat with him about the difference of living standards and he couldn't believe that it's my oservation that the rich western people with nice cars and houses are rarely as happy and as positive as the people here.

The fairytale-like ricefields of Indonesia, situated around the rim of a volcano giving very fertile grounds.

The funky brothers going to a lunchbreak after a tough half a day at the ricefields. Rice is on their menu today, too.

Sekum Pul waterfalls. We went under it, but it's impossible to photograph it from there with so much water in the air - wish I could have a waterproof camera.

It's a series of waterfalls in different places, some in stunning settings - terraced ricefields and people live just above the massive waterfall. It goes way deeper that the pic shows. We did trek through the jungle under this one as well, it was a very rough and steep track, almost impassable with multiple landslides it had suffered - some seen below the pic.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #2676
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Amazing Photos like always.....thanks again for sharing....i think you already reply this question...but...what lens do you use?

Thanks
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #2677
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Byson .....maybe Yamaha?
I see the tuning forks.:)
Yep, it's a Yammie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
Amazing Photos like always.....thanks again for sharing....i think you already reply this question...but...what lens do you use?
Those shots are with Sigma DP2s compact camera, a stunning 4.6 megapixels (yep, the number is correct) . It's got an unchangable fixed prime lens at 24mm f2.8 (no zoom, as it should be! ) and the jewel behind it is the one-of-a-kind Foveon X3 sensor - one of the the best kept secrets in the digital photography.

A little bit challenging to use, but a surprisingly good little camera if you know how to shoot.

It's an old model so you can pick one up for around 100 usd from fleaBay if you're lucky.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #2678
buzzlightyear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
As always your photos are STUNNING!
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #2679
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Havent lost your touch with the camera I see, love the mountains and waterfalls especially

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #2680
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,040
Yes,Yes,Yes

How wonderful it is to once again look through the lens and observe the world as you see it ----Awesome as usual!!!

I have missed your narrative and photo's . Welcome back, even if only for this brief moment , Thank You

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #2681
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,824
Been a bit of rough week in my life, but seeing these photos made me smile, relax and think about what I am thankful for. Cheers to you!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #2682
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
Yep, it's a Yammie.

Those shots are with Sigma DP2s compact camera, a stunning 4.6 megapixels (yep, the number is correct) . It's got an unchangable fixed prime lens at 24mm f2.8 (no zoom, as it should be! ) and the jewel behind it is the one-of-a-kind Foveon X3 sensor - one of the the best kept secrets in the digital photography.

A little bit challenging to use, but a surprisingly good little camera if you know how to shoot.

It's an old model so you can pick one up for around 100 usd from fleaBay if you're lucky.
Wow...what a surprise...ahahah need to read a little more about it but the photos speaks for yourself...eheh

Thanks for the Tip!
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #2683
Rigger1221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Congratulations on your amazing RTW trip and thank-you for allowing us to share the journey through your amazing photos that tell a unique story. I hope your both adjusting well to real life and look forward to any future adventures you may have.

Good luck and wish you both happiness and health.
Rigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #2684
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Been a bit of rough week in my life, but seeing these photos made me smile, relax and think about what I am thankful for. Cheers to you!
Nothing makes me more happy to hear this
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #2685
tsiklonaut OP

The photos don't do justice how high it really was - you almost couldn't see a person below the pic.

River below - we had to cross it multiple times.