Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah

Bronco3738 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 06:29 PM
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #722
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
>>39 FCRs with chokes - dont forget us over here..

Choke parts just went out to the anodizer along with corrected TPS brackets. The epoxy and glues came in for putting the carb halves back together, I'll get to that Monday or Tuesday and follow up with a dyno run to verify it is all working like it did before the choke. I know a few people are interested and will finalize it as soon as I get through some work that is in my lap.

>>Have you thought through the LH tank clearance issue over the chain drive? I know its early days but?????

The Christini parts should be here soon at which point things will be a lot clearer. Hopefully I can do something nice and tidy.

CosentinoEngineering screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 01:43 PM
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #723
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Thoughts about the 1x1 drive:
If you choose to go for the Safaris i can help you with data regarding which material for vvelding.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #724
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,740
Oh la la

I'd change the seat cover so the stripe down the center is orange....

Looking very sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Been giving thought to what this bike should look like. I've always loved maps simply as a collection of meaningful lines so I've decided to let my two coasts provide the artwork. I've been playing with downloading open source maps and while I've managed to get a screens worth of data I don't quite know how to export it into a large enough file to be useful for a graphic. I'll figure it out though. Each side will be a map depiction of each coast as it relates to me. Here's the NYC side of the bike which is the "right" coast and the right side. It is the area from Brooklyn, where I lived and have my studio, through lower manhattan to my shop in NJ. It's abstract and yet meaningful. I like it.

I tried it in white as well which looked very cool too but orange seems to blend more as a graphic and read less as a map. It almost looks like circuitry.

Gregor

PS Like that better Johnny? Obviously this is a tip of the hat to Deadly whose bike was so pretty.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #725
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/3555410498.html
For anyone on the West Coast looking to further the project
I was just across the freeway doing a little Go Karting at SyKart the other day.
Small world...

Good luck with the sale and looking forward to more creep.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #726
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 103
External choke progress

All,
thought I owed a bit of an update on my progress with the external choke set-up. The news is mixed. All is installed and functioning reasonably well with adjustable fuel and air jets. Here's a general view of the installation:

The horizontal aluminium cylinders with the square bases are the mixing chambers and control valves, showing cables exiting at the left hand side... you can just see a brass adjuster for one of the cables... which are controlled by the OEM lever and some custom-built cables. The two throttle valves in the foreground are the air inlets which are plumbed into one of Chris' velocity stacks (which are FANTASTIC pieces of kit by the way Chris... many thanks!!):

At the base of each aluminium cylinder is the fuel inlet (small-bore tube), each fed from the float-bowl of the respective carb., again with a throttle valve in each feed:

On the far side of each of the aluminium cylinders are the mixture outlets, each feeding to the existing inlet vacuum-port tapping (normally blanked with an M6 screw), the fitting containing an emulsifyer jet (actually an FCR idle jet!!) which pokes into the inlet tract:

I'm still far from content with the solution as each time I start the bike I need to fiddle with the jet settings for it to fast-idle well on choke. I suspect that the outlet from the mixing chamber is just too far away from the inlet port; sometimes I get a well prepared mixture, more often it all condenses back to liquid interspersed with air bubbles.

My next step is to mount the mixing chambers directly to the inlet port tappings to try to avoid this, then maybe play around with the size of the injection jets a little.

I'm convinced this solution will work well once I manage to dial it in correctly. The only question is if I'll finish before the decent riding weather arrives... at which point all bets are off as I'd rather ride, despite this turning into an interesting little project.

I'm still watching and waiting to see how the internal choke works out too. No doubt it'll be a much more elegant solution than mine.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #727
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,522
Paul,

Your solution has lots of external 'stuff', but it looks well thought out and assembled. Nice work.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #728
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,405
That's impressive stuff Paul.

As an update on my front I'm in NYC as of this morning and I intend to test our carbs once my shoot is done on Thursday. Chris? You ready?

I sold my Husaberg....

much faster than I anticipated. I'll admit it looks better in his pickup than mine. It's going to become a ski bike oddly enough. At least that means I should be getting parts from Christini in the next week or so.

The end of this week is going to be spent boxing up my shop to move in two weeks. I head back to Portland next week to demo the garage and then back to NYC to pack up the shop and drive it cross country. Really wish I had more time to prep the garage but it's not to be.

By the spring things should be a bit more settled and my 990 should be on the west coast. With no dirt bike it will be my only off road machine so I intend to single track her this summer. No mercy.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #729
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,827
Quote:
... I intend to single track her this summer.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #730
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Paul,

Your solution has lots of external 'stuff', but it looks well thought out and assembled. Nice work.
Brents,
yep... I agree. Not exactly elegant, but I'll take function over form if it gets me started quicker from cold with no risk of a flat battery!

If and when I ever get settled on a single adjustment position for the throttle valves, I'll replace them with fixed jets. That'll remove a bit of the clutter. It just needs a bit of time and patience...

Gregor,
sad to see the Husaberg leaving like that. I've also got a bit of a soft-spot for "the Swedish exotica". Mine is way older and scruffier (FE400), but I've had it a long time and it still puts a smile on my face tearing around the local trails.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers to all... Paul
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #731
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,787
Seems to me an easier, simpler, cheaper solution. Older bikes with non choke carbs used a primer pump, a small jet on the inlet manifold squirted fuel directly in the carbs.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #732
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Seems to me an easier, simpler, cheaper solution. Older bikes with non choke carbs used a primer pump, a small jet on the inlet manifold squirted fuel directly in the carbs.

Well sort of.

There's difference to priming the bike with fuel and correctly metering the fuel through a choke circuit that will allow the bike to sit and idle easily so that it can warm up. The accelerator pumps can squirt raw fuel into the intake too but they can't meter a suitably rich and well mixed gas air blend continuously so that the bike can idle reliably. A choke is the right way to do it and thus our effort is to make a true choke. I'm guess this is why you don't see squeeze bulbs on many bikes.

Gregor
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #733
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,787
Quote:
Well sort of.

There's difference to priming the bike with fuel and correctly metering the fuel through a choke circuit that will allow the bike to sit and idle easily so that it can warm up. The accelerator pumps can squirt raw fuel into the intake too but they can't meter a suitably rich and well mixed gas air blend continuously so that the bike can idle reliably. A choke is the right way to do it and thus our effort is to make a true choke. I'm guess this is why you don't see squeeze bulbs on many bikes.

Gregor
Yeh, but it gives you a fine mist, unlike carb priming, once started you'll need to control idle with the right wrist.... See no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #734
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Mid-body gaskets!!!

Guys,
I know these are silly-expensive, but it would appear you can get mid-body gaskets!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mid-body-g...d=445177668103

Worth bearing in mind if and when internal choke conversions become more than just desireable. I've no idea how brutal you need to be to 'unstick' the parts... just in case?

Cheers... Paul
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #735
sakurama OP
on an endless build

I think anyone who has FCR's can attest that the throttle can't keep the bike idling. Many of us have drained our batteries between the constant AP priming, stalling, priming and restarting. It's enough of a hassle that people have taken the carbs off.

Paul, those are mid body gaskets for the FCR-MX - a different carb that already has a choke.

Gregor