Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
FT-WA-MD-GS
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Avner recommended that we get a Booster Plug temp sensor for our bikes on our recent ride in WV -- Gracias Avi!

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

We recently installed them on my F8 and K's F650GS. It almost entirely fixed this phenomenon! Rarely get a backfire now! Just pop off the faux tank cover and it slips into the Air Intake Temp sensor plug without a fuss; then used a zip-tie to affix the temp probe to the right side air snorkel. I think it was well worth the cost [~$150 via air mail from Denmark].

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
FT-WA-MD-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
IL adv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-WA-MD-GS View Post
Avner recommended that we get a Booster Plug temp sensor for our bikes on our recent ride in WV -- Gracias Avi!

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

We recently installed them on my F8 and K's F650GS. It almost entirely fixed this phenomenon! Rarely get a backfire now! Just pop off the faux tank cover and it slips into the Air Intake Temp sensor plug without a fuss; then used a zip-tie to affix the temp probe to the right side air snorkel. I think it was well worth the cost [~$150 via air mail from Denmark].

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
Does it also make it accelerate harder and stop the surging at low speeds like the info on the site says?
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
FT-WA-MD-GS
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL adv View Post
Does it also make it accelerate harder and stop the surging at low speeds like the info on the site says?
I'd have to agree with the web site, although I've only had it on for a couple of weeks. The throttle is more dependable now -- less hesitation is how I'd put it. We're both much happier with the performance of late. Just waiting for some warmer weather to get out on an extended excursion.

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Philip & Karen
10 F800GS,
09 F650GS,
09 Kawasaki KLX250S,
08 Honda CRF230L, and
75 R90S.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
IL adv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-WA-MD-GS View Post
I'd have to agree with the web site, although I've only had it on for a couple of weeks. The throttle is more dependable now -- less hesitation is how I'd put it. We're both much happier with the performance of late. Just waiting for some warmer weather to get out on an extended excursion.
Thanks alot for your feedback. I will look into it forsure and check back with you to see how your feeling about it when you are able to get it out more.
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #20
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
All of them do it, so its normal. Mine does it since day one and both bikes of my mates do it. Nothing to worry about.

cheers Steve

Sent from Samsung w. Tapatalk
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
My 2011 has never done it. Is there something wrong with it. Maybe I should take it to the dealer and complain it doesn't backfire.
sorebutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
FT-WA-MD-GS
n00b

Quote from the 'What did Your Evil Twin Do Today" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
I installed the Booster Plug on my 09 F650 Twin. Pretty easy. I'n my opinion, it's made a big difference. This is my first FI bike, and I wasn't digging the throttle response. I tried to get used to it, but after almost 4k kms, it was still an issue.

The change was instant with the BP. It really slowed down the way it rolls on. Almost stalled the bike at first. It also feels better coming out of a slow corner. Hitting the throttle half-way and the bike just chugs out really nice and strong. rear tire even broke loose, but there was no panic, just nice and even pulling through.

It also sounds just a tiny 'thicker' on the low rpms, but that could also be my imagination.

Anyway, happy with it.

FWIW, another vote for the Booster Plug...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
RheinGold
Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer: 36
My 2012 with nearly 12,000 miles does it too. I's due to the lean fuel air mixture but also because the header and muffler pipe are a slip fit (held in place only by a small spring) and I think some of the popping may be due to gasses coming out of the joint too.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
LJRAT
LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer: 59
I have a full exhaust balanced with a free flowing foam filter and the booster plug! NO POP!
LJRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
both of my 800's (09 and 12) did/do it....

but not enough... i love it... wish it would do it more often!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RheinGold View Post
My 2012 with nearly 12,000 miles does it too. I's due to the lean fuel air mixture but also because the header and muffler pipe are a slip fit (held in place only by a small spring) and I think some of the popping may be due to gasses coming out of the joint too.

I don't think that is the case, I sealed mine with no change. I suspect it is caused by the secondary air injection required for emissions. Joel explained it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637370 Does the F658gs do it? They do not have the air injection valve. In fact I suspect it may be USA specific as it does not show up in the universal repair CD.

Whether it is added oxygen caused by the air valve or just the normal lean idle of the ECU, it is the result of a lean mixture. It is normal.

The Booster plugs can help, as that rich ens up the fuel mixture as designed and there is some residual effect going back to closed loop (map) as the oxygen sender signal to the ECU does not result in an immediate change. If it is bothersome, don't snap the throttle closed.

It is there, but more easily heard with the aftermarket straight through mufflers. The ECU also adapts to the muffler change. Not as noisy as when first added.

I notice that in California, where they are always changing gas formulas, that it is more pronounced in summer than winter. The booster plug seems more effective in winter also, so they are doing something that effects burning rates of fuel.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 02:37 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote