Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
PoundSand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
how long to slab it from cabo to san diego?

my buddy is going down to cabo... and i was thinkin' about riding down to meet him- taking my time and having some fun in the dirt on the way down, hang out a few days, then slab it back up.

so what would be "reasonable" length of time to budget for a "speedy" trip back up, slabbing it on a drz400?
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand
my buddy is going down to cabo... and i was thinkin' about riding down to meet him- taking my time and having some fun in the dirt on the way down, hang out a few days, then slab it back up.

so what would be "reasonable" length of time to budget for a "speedy" trip back up, slabbing it on a drz400?
I would say if the road is ok (not been recently crash by a hurricane) it would be a 2 day affair, 3 if you take pics.

The speed and hours you spend on the bike will determine how long it takes. My family (the crazy ones) do 20-22 hrs from Cabo to Ensenada, and then 1 hr more to TJ but in a car and 2 drivers, so 2-3 days is with in reach.

Also, summer brings longer days, and hotter weather. winter shorter days (5 hours of less sunlight +-)

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
On a DRZ400 a reasonable length of time would be 4 days though 3 days if you've got a hard ass and take advantage of every daylight hour. In no case should you ride after dark. A factor that makes the time longer is that there are areas with long distances between lodging so you have to stop well before dark to get a room. Dan
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,022
Oh, c'mon now. I left at noon on Saturday and got there at 7pm on Sunday (another 2 hours to Cabo) with the truck and trailer. Plenty of places to stay, all you have to do is plan your stops. I don't think it's a *good* idea to ride after dark, but it doesn't suddenly turn into a dangerous jungle either. The big thing is lot of big animals walking around. Two days is achievable in the daylight, 3 days is easy. 4 days if you plan on doing some off roading along the way.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
2 1/2 Days

I did it in Feb 07, San Diego to Cabo airport in 2 1/2 days, steady riding, no night riding, on an 1150 GS.

Roads are good.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1
On a DRZ400 a reasonable length of time would be 4 days though 3 days if you've got a hard ass and take advantage of every daylight hour. In no case should you ride after dark. A factor that makes the time longer is that there are areas with long distances between lodging so you have to stop well before dark to get a room. Dan
Good post.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
I did it in Feb 07, San Diego to Cabo airport in 2 1/2 days, steady riding, no night riding, on an 1150 GS.
Roads are good.
Which is pretty much what I said. Figure 10-15MPH slower on average on a DRZ400 because of gas stops, lower overall speed, etc. than a GS and you get a minimum of 3 full days of riding. Dan
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1
Which is pretty much what I said. Figure 10-15MPH slower on average on a DRZ400 because of gas stops, lower overall speed, etc. than a GS and you get a minimum of 3 full days of riding. Dan
On a GS, I could start in a morning and arrive by noon the next day. You kinda implied that it's a 40 hour ride It's *maybe* 24 hours if all you do is follow the traffic speeds, which can be rather high. I even got stuck in a MASSIVE traffic jam near Ensenada that a DRZ would have eliminated. The main thing is how comfortable the bike is at what speed and how your ass hangs in, but it's a 24 hour ride at normal speeds.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
A big GS, once south of El Rosario, and thru tthe hills, will be running sustained speeds of 90mph, easily, for hours, and will be doing so comfortably.
The DRZ might be sustaining 70?, but not so comfortably.
As Dan mentioned, the fueling points matched with available daylight, can easily stop your dawn-to-dusk riding plans.
If it's a race, just cheat...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Well, I'm just saying is all. It would be silly to do it in two days because you'd miss so much. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I say "know you can do it in two days, but take as many days as you've got".

But, if someone wants to give me a DRZ400, I'd prove my point

Besides, real men can do it in 2 days *off road*. Not me, but real men.........
Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
From El Rosrio to Jesus Maria you will have over 200 miles of no real gastations, so you will have to look for it in Cataviña or at El arco, were a guy has a truck and can sell it for a real price premium.

3 days! and monkey butt!!
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
A big GS, once south of El Rosario, and thru tthe hills, will be running sustained speeds of 90mph, easily, for hours, and will be doing so comfortably.
The DRZ might be sustaining 70?, but not so comfortably.
As Dan mentioned, the fueling points matched with available daylight, can easily stop your dawn-to-dusk riding plans.
If it's a race, just cheat...
True dat! I think my max speed on the 990 was around 118 once south of El Rosario and I was sustaing triple digits between the small pueblos for a good 3 or 4 hours.Doing it in a couple days on a DRZ means two full 12 hours days of ass time, but yes it is totally doable if you need to beat feat toward the house, its just not going to be fun. But as the OP mentioned, he will have fun coming down off pavement, then simply endure the pain to get back home.

Plan your fuel stops carefully if you have 14-47 gearing and a 4 gallon clarke tank. Normally its not a problem if the fuel guys are at the BofLA junction, and in Catavina as well. But, it can be hit and miss, especially during race seaon.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Resurrected!!!!

So how does 9 days riding for the round trip sound? And on a wr426?? I haven't put this kind of seat time down before, anyone have some experience to share?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenL View Post
Resurrected!!!!

So how does 9 days riding for the round trip sound? And on a wr426?? I haven't put this kind of seat time down before, anyone have some experience to share?

Thanks.
All depends on the route you are going to take. To hit all the good off-road trails, I'd plan 9 days one way. You can mix it up with some slab and some trails and make it one way in 6 if the trails are easy and fast, but for the more technical stuff, you will want more time IMO. If you want to stay almost completely off road, you could easily rack up close to 2000 miles, one way. So, it all depends.

A not too difficult route with a mix of slab would go something like this:

Tecate - Mikes
Mikes - Gonzaga
Gonzaga - San Francisquito
San Francisquito - San Ignacio (very full off road day)
San Ignacio - Mulege
Mulege - Loreto (via the Commondus)
Loreto - La Paz (via San Evaristo)

Of course there are many possible routes and combinations.

Dont forget to plan some oil changes along the way.

crashmaster screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 11:19 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm heading south on a V-strom about 1.st of April and would like to reach "Seman de la moto" in Maz ends on 7th.
Is that possible? And would i be able to do San Felipe -> Coco's ..i'm a road going type with next to none dirt experience. From a scale from 1-10 in off-road difficulty what is that road?
Also is it easy to find some secure camp spots along the way?
aadal is offline   Reply With Quote