Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,420
I found that the Tourance EXP wears very quickly. I had the first year EXPs and only got about 5000mi out of the back one. I replaced it with an Anakee 2 and have about 50% left at 5000mi. I have heard that later EXP's have a deeper tread to give longer life.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Thought I'd bring this thread back to date a little...

This summer I burned through a set of Anakee 2 which I liked a lot to say the least. Pretty good in really rough stuff where a GS doesn't belong, and great n the street. Best rain tire I've ever run. About 85% s good in the twisties as say a sport touring tire would be. The bad and somewhat ugly is that I had to change the front out at the same time as the rear because the front was getting some really weird cupping and it had plent of tread left but was thumping and vibrating pretty good due to the strange wear patten.

I also burned trough a set of Battlewings. Those were the OEM tires when i got the bike and man, for the price these things are probably as good as it gets. Probably a little bettering the twisties than the Anakees due to the more rounded profile. Good in the rain. Fine on gravel and forest roads. Lasted me about 6000 miles and would have gone a little longer but a lot of those miles were in Florida and the rear squared off which a dual compound like the Anakee won't do as bad. Defenately won't last as long as the Anakee 2 but the rubber compound is softer and the price is fantastic, you should be able to get a pair for right around 200$ if you shop around.

Lastly, REVZILLA HAS TOURANCES ON SALE RIGHT NOW!

I don't need tires right now but I always will, right? These are the original Tourance, so I want to get a set before they become unavailable as the rumor says.

Just have to fry off the last bit of my rear TKC which shouldn't take long.....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #33
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I Had to throw this in too:

'The All New 2013 LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest' thread had shown the Anakees 3... ; so.... I had to write Michelin and ask about the release date and here is their response:

Quote:
The Anakee 3 is expected to be available by 2nd quarter, 2013. We do not have an exact date yet.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
WADE-O
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Avon distanzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Avon Distanzia
+1 i really like my distanazia's and they lost quite a while and have good grip in every condition that i have ever been through. From wet roads to loose gravel roads.

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #35
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I have used quite a few of both on my 2008 and 2010 GSA's, I ride hard and fast for the most part, and am a genuine fatass. I like the road and cornering (on dry pavement) of the EXP's better but prefer the Anakee 2's in the wet and for off road stuff better. I also get about 60% better treadlife from the Anakee's, but you really have to watch inflation and balance because they seem to cup just by looking at them crosseyed.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
Petrol Ignitor
Cyclenut

Oddometer: 33
I agree with above comments regarding the front Anakee having a weird cupping problem. The Tourance front has proven more reliable for me. Currently riding with an Anakee rear and a Tourance front because the Anakee wore out too fast. Probably put a Tourance on the rear when it wears out. Having ridden both tires I cannot really see much of a difference until the front starts to wear, then the Tourance wins on mileage. Was told once that the weird wear on the Anakee is from running too low air pressure.
Petrol Ignitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
I've got about 7k on a set of A2s and the front is wearing normal so far. Keep it at 40 front/42 rear. Rear has a couple thousand miles left and is looking good as well. They stick a ton better than the battlewings did in the rain (which seemed to be not at all)
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,021
A favor, anyone with a new set of Anakee 2's that would mind running out and getting a tread depth measurement on front and rear tires?

I just picked up a F800GS with a set already installed and I have a trip to the Smokey's scheduled for spring and I want to get an idea of the life left in these.

They look pretty good, but I am VERY hard on tires, past trips have been on a Boxer cup, and every trip, except one, I started out with a new set, and had to replace them before the trip was done. The Pilot road 3's made it 2750 miles, but was, for all intents and purposes, bald when I was done. I have a set of Anakee 3's ordered, but I would rather wear out the 2's first, rather than switching and them for the trip, and remounting them, using up the 2's later.

With the Boxer cup I had an extra set of rims, so it was easy to take a spare set with me, and only took 20 minutes to swap, I really don't want to have to spoon off an old, and on a new set on the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
A favor, anyone with a new set of Anakee 2's that would mind running out and getting a tread depth measurement on front and rear tires?
Best I can tell for the Anakee 2's - on the front its: 3/16" tread - and on the rear its: 5/16" tread.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #40
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

I just picked up a F800GS with a set already installed and I have a trip to the Smokey's scheduled for spring and I want to get an idea of the life left in these.

They look pretty good, but I am VERY hard on tires, past trips have been on a Boxer cup, and every trip, except one, I started out with a new set, and had to replace them before the trip was done. The Pilot road 3's made it 2750 miles, but was, for all intents and purposes, bald when I was done. I have a set of Anakee 3's ordered, but I would rather wear out the 2's first, rather than switching and them for the trip, and remounting them, using up the 2's later.

With the Boxer cup I had an extra set of rims, so it was easy to take a spare set with me, and only took 20 minutes to swap, I really don't want to have to spoon off an old, and on a new set on the trip.

Thanks in advance!
Roads down there are real abrasive and let's face it, your not going to be going easy on tires down there either. New tires are a great idea. :)
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #41
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Best I can tell for the Anakee 2's - on the front its: 3/16" tread - and on the rear its: 5/16" tread.

What he said (exactly what I got when I measured the new pair that arrived last week):

Front -- Deepest Tread Depth: 6/32"
http://reviews.denniskirk.com/2388/p643427/reviews.htm

Rear -- Deepest Tread Depth: 10/32"
https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/...prd/643424.sku
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #42
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Thanks Nova and Wind, it gives me a baseline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Roads down there are real abrasive and let's face it, your not going to be going easy on tires down there either. New tires are a great idea. :)
Yea, I know, my record was a new set of tires gone in 3 days and 1100 miles! And the rear was a dual compound tire.

I always wear out the edges first when down there, left side first.

This was a pilot road 2 after 10 days

Richard
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #43
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Thanks Nova and Wind, it gives me a baseline

Yea, I know, my record was a new set of tires gone in 3 days and 1100 miles! And the rear was a dual compound tire.

I always wear out the edges first when down there, left side first.

This was a pilot road 2 after 10 days
OUCH.

I don't know why that is; I'll go on a ride that makes a slow right hand track and it will have more left hand turns than right.

I've got a buddy who gets their 'fast' group together on rides and someone always needs a new tire. Could it be that they also tap -value deleted- on the straights... it must be very hot on those rides - nobody would ever break the speed limit

WindSailor screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 01:46 AM
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #44
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
OUCH.

I don't know why that is; I'll go on a ride that makes a slow right hand track and it will have more left hand turns than right.

I've got a buddy who gets their 'fast' group together on rides and someone always needs a new tire. Could it be that they also tap -value deleted- on the straights... it must be very hot on those rides - nobody would ever break the speed limit
2 things contribute to the LH wear, lefts ALWAYS have a longer radius than rights, plus visibility on lefts is better, so you are leaning longer, because of the radius, and carrying more speed, or accelerating more because of the visibility.

I rarely accelerate on the straights, and many times actually slow down. I am a slow in fast out guy in the twistys, so I am almost always on the gas when leaned over, and my tires play the price for my fun.

Richard
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
My preference is the Anakee 2's. Both tires are great on road, but the Tourance's are not near as good on loose gravel. Packed trails both are good.

I would recommend picking up the Anakees quickly (if these are your choice), as my area is sold out, and they are now discontinued. Heading south of the boarder this weekend to get my last set of 2's.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote