Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
www.usacarry.com

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

http://handgunlaw.us/

ETA: I would avoid NY, NJ if at all possible. Both states routinely ignore FOPA, and will jack you up if at all possible.
Thanks, but NY has a blockade on the rest of the country when living in New England.

I might mail my mags to my pal in VA and travel without any ammo.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #28397
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post
Bought the gun in 1992 and still have the original magazines. Has not been shot much until about a year ago. (I'd guess less than 2000 rounds through it though I don't track it)
I need to check the second magazine to see if its doing the same thing as the one I know I'm having issues with. I originally thought it was likely due to the gun not properly being broken down and cleaned in detail. (wasn't fully up to speed on that) so that was my first attempt at solving the issue. I have since done a complete breakdown and cleaning and it is still failing to extract. Note I'm being very specific when I say failing to extract. The spent round is only being pulled about half way out of the chamber so it leads me to believe that its not properly "grabbing" it in its attempt to extract.
Been shooting Winchester White Box and American Eagle and it seems to fail with both.
The only modification to the gun is a Crimson Trace aftermarket laser.
I did some looking on another "Glock" related site and when others have had similar issues its been blamed on "Limp Wristing" it during firing. Guess that is possible as I'm not super experienced and the problem does seem to come up during the 3rd magazine load and later (when I'm less diligent in my form from the beating I'm taking). If anyone has shot a 23 they tend to be a bit whippy and frankly I don't find it a lot of "fun" to shoot. By that I mean its not a gun I want to put 100 rounds through at a time. But I really do like it as a SD weapon and would just like to get back to where I can count on it to perform. I want to be able to shoot it enough to be familiar with it and have it go bang pretty much every time. Otherwise its going to have to come out of the SD rotation.
Need to get back out to the range and really focus on form, what magazine I'm using and also run some SD ammo through it again to see if it hangs up with the SD ammo.
I really appreciate the interest in the problem and welcome any constructive input. As I said, I'm far from an expert on the gun and I'd really like to get it sorted out so I can depend on it.
The two LE agencies I have worked for issue Glocks. I have personally seen and experienced numerous extractor failures, so I would replace it as a matter of course. Magazines are another area of concern, check the springs frequently.

If you are going to trust your life on a Glock (or any other auto pistol, for that matter) keep up with malfunction drills, so that clearing jams is second nature.

However, if the extractor breaks, tap, rack, bang won't mean much.

Usually, limp wristing results in a stovepipe, but in extreme cases can cause short stroking causing the pistol to close on the spent case.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #28398
Powers77
2009 GSA

Oddometer: 162
[QUOTE=urbancowboy;20593952]limp wristing could be a problem, but i would think that is something you would have experienced when you bought the gun years ago. however, it sounds like you don't like shooting that caliber, so you might consider switching to a 9mm glock that you'll enjoy more.

can you have someone else shoot the gun? that way you could rule out the limp wristing thing.

Just took it apart again and looked at the extractor under a magnifying glass. It does not appear "perfect". By that I mean its does not appear completely uniform in shape. Think I'll see about getting a replacement for it and see if that solves the problem.
In the mean time I may have someone else run a few mags through it to see if it is "me". Don't really think it is as although I'm not an expert I do shoot a fair amount (M&P 9mm, Buckmark .22, P238) and don't have any issues with any of the other guns. I'm not "hesitant" in shooting the 23 but after 50 rounds or so, the others are just more enjoyable to shoot. I practice with each that I intend as SD guns to remain proficient, including the 23.
Thanks to all that have replied. It has been helpful. I'll let you guys know when I get it sorted out.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #28399
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Short stroking glock/failure to eject

Buddy of mines 23 was doing that. We cleaned it and lubed the shiny spots and that seemed to clear it up when he holds the gun tightly., He tends to load rounds to the higher side of performance (too damned hot in my opinion) as to ShadyRascal's lightening up. I think that affects his shooting as the battering gets the gun loose in his hand. I have never had a hang-up while shooting his gun with his loads- I refuse to shoot them in my 22,35,or 26.

I call bullshit on the mag springs being bad or set or whatever the catchphrase being used now-They are like unicorns, people talk about them but unless its an older gun with the flat spring in the mag, they just don't hardly happen
Maybe a dirty mag.
If I have a mag fail to feed it gets one chance, I take them apart, clean them and reassemble them. If the mag lips or follower are jacked they go away.
My armorer once brought me a box full of Beretta mags and told me he had to destroy them because they'd been left loaded too long and had taken a set. He began to demonstrate by thumbing rounds out of the magazine and after 3 or 4 rounds the follower would hang inside the mag. Some other armorer was checking some mags and this occurred. He documented this horror and sent it to higher higher resulting in a message to check for this horrific problem and follow up with a message acknowledging it had been done and corrective action taken, including number of replacement mags needed. This was his proof that the mags springs were all bad.
I took the mag and bumped it way less than it would have bumped in a firing gun and the follower threw the bullet right up to the top of the mag. I told him to unload all of them, disassemble and clean them, reload and hand check and then run a mag through each during pistol quals. NONE FAILED.

gofast1320 screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 02:09 PM Reason: spelling
gofast1320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #28400
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
for those on a budget that have to shoot at only paper targets here is a cheap way to make " shoot n see targets " rather than paying a buck a piece for them , and they are reusable .

material list

cardboard ( empty beer or soda box or anyother free cardboard you have laying around to recycle ) cut it into the shape you want , I make them into silloetts
So I had a chance to try your idea today. Not bad but I think the cost in materials is more than it would cost to just buy the targets at Walmart. I think it's a great idea for specialty targets with a unique shape. I'll post up some video in a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbFRCKBZIU
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 05:41 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #28401
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
So I had a chance to try your idea today. Not bad but I think the cost in materials is more than it would cost to just buy the targets at Walmart. I think it's a great idea for specialty targets with a unique shape. I'll post up some video in a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbFRCKBZIU

glad you liked them , as for cost , I usually buy the cheap paint , under $2 a can and a roll of tape usually goes a long way, and on the plus side I can make the targets typically larger than I can buy them .

this was my latest home made target , made from scrap I had around the garage .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F540Y...yer_detailpage
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #28402
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

can popper

Quote:
glad you liked them , as for cost , I usually buy the cheap paint , under $2 a can and a roll of tape usually goes a long way, and on the plus side I can make the targets typically larger than I can buy them .

That is way cool. You need to patent copyright whatever and make that baby your own. That is slick.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #28403
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
That is way cool. You need to patent copyright whatever and make that baby your own. That is slick.

I can't take credit for the idea, I saw a few different designs for it on line that do the similar thing , the shape, size etc of mine is unique , but the idea came from cowboy action shooting , usually they pair a pepper popper with a flipper arm of some sort . I had fun shooting it yesterday , and my cheak is tender to prove it .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #28404
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
what do the inmates think?

Here's the ad:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/949042...-cz-52-pistols

If legit, are they worth it for an "unusual" caliber SA handgun?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #28405
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,113
Quote:

Nice. I'm not a shot gun user but I could see some fun applications for that.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #28406
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,001
Went to Cabela's today to check out a lever action Henry .22 that I've been wanting, and planned on possibly buying a scope for my Marlin 22.

This thing followed me home.

Got it cleaned up a bit tonight, going to test fire it tomorrow. Ammo was high, bought a box for $20. Ordered some surplus a little bit ago, just had to buy enough to shoot it now. Impatient I guess.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #28407
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post

I call bullshit on the mag springs being bad or set or whatever the catchphrase being used now-They are like unicorns, people talk about them but unless its an older gun with the flat spring in the mag, they just don't hardly happen
Call BS all you want. I personally have had 2Glock mag springs fail, breaking in two pieces about a third of the way down. I have also had my duty magazines replaced twice because the gun failed to pick up rounds (according to Glock because of bad springs unable to keep up with the slide). The second replacements (done for the whole dept.) was a redesigned magazine with VERY heavy springs.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #28408
Juanjo_NY
Banned

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Went to Cabela's today to check out a lever action Henry .22 that I've been wanting, .
;)
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #28409
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
;)
Yep, that's the one.

I have a hard time buying a 22 since I already have 2 perfectly functional ones. The 7.62x54, well, I didn't have that. Plus the gun was $150 and ammo is dirt cheap.

I have to learn a bit now on cleaning, I keep hearing that the surplus ammo is hard on them if you don't clean it right.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #28410
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

mag springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Call BS all you want. I personally have had 2Glock mag springs fail, breaking in two pieces about a third of the way down. I have also had my duty magazines replaced twice because the gun failed to pick up rounds (according to Glock because of bad springs unable to keep up with the slide). The second replacements (done for the whole dept.) was a redesigned magazine with VERY heavy springs.
Hey man if you saw it that's one thing I respect your firsthand knowledge and obviously it can happen. My experience has not been the same. They recall cars all the time because of defective parts and just as surely it can happen with anything else mechanical including guns, which is why you and I and others have been taught never to trust a safety because as a mechanical device it can fail. Thanks for stating specifics in your situation as I did in mine. I'm glad we were both able to present actual facts instead of blindly posting something we heard or that we may have overheard or read on the internet. By the way, the agency I worked for just replaced all the extrators on their gen4 model 22.

gofast1320 screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 11:01 PM Reason: spelling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: