ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Yes thank you for the replies. Problem with normal GPS arrow is that they are SO freakin small and very difficult to read. I'm looking for a larger LCD or other type screen that will show only the arrow like the Triumph in the video. If there's an app or program that will allow an attachment of a standalone high visibility screen, that would be the ticket!
Its a 5" screen. The biggest "normal GPS".

That arrow big enough?
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Jarno123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
This might be really stupid, so have a laugh at me, once you're done please answer this.
The big arrow, what does that point to? Your next waypoint/road/whatever or does it point to the direction your taking?
As far as I know, every compass has an arrow like that to which points to the direction you're traveling to. So how about this one?
Jarno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,635
No that is a good question. I too would suspect or at least would WANT the arrow to point to the waypoint or direction I SHOULD be going, not to the direction I'm heading.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,974
I think that's a Trippy Digital Road Book
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
No info on the GPS but that was a very entertaining video
ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
No that is a good question. I too would suspect or at least would WANT the arrow to point to the waypoint or direction I SHOULD be going, not to the direction I'm heading.
If it was pointing at your direction, wouldnt it just point forward all the time

It points to whereever you've told the gps you want to go, ie next waypoint, and I belive just about any gps will do that for ya.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
I think most of the handheld GPS units have that feature.
My Garmin Etrex does and its pretty handy, just a quick glance at the arrow and you know which way to go to get to your destination. Good for hiking on twisty trails, especially if you want to bushwhack off trail.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Yeah, I used my etrex once to ride to a buddys place I visited for the first time. Got coordinates from googlemaps, entered them, and drove away. Felt cool to navigate that way, and I didnt really have any big detours.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #24
Jarno123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
If it was pointing at your direction, wouldnt it just point forward all the time
You do realize that a regular compass also has 1 static line, which points to the direction you're heading/looking (if you're holding it the way it's meant to be held?
Jarno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
The Dakar (ERTF) GPS does it, but it will cost you over $50,000 to use it for 2 weeks in January!

The problem with the Dakar GPS is the arrow only pops up when you are within 1 kilometer of a designated waypoint, and there are only a couple if any for each day. The rest of the course can only be followed from the roadbook since the GPS doesn't show the race course or any maps. http://www.ertf.com/uk/support_formations.asp

It looks like the Tripy does it, but I don't think much of anyone in the USA uses it since there are no maps for USA:
http://www.tripy.eu/en
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #26
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Even more it shows the bike with a really slick GPS screen that uses and arrow to point the direction to the next waypoint or destination.
In the US with all riding restricted to designated routes except in very small "Open" areas this would be of very little value. Yes there are a few sand dune Open areas where riding bee-line to a way point is possible but in 99.99% of the country, you must follow roads and that is what Tracks or Routes do for you.

Almost all GPS units have "Find" "Go To" feature that gives you a straight line from where you are now to any waypoint which is basically what you think is so neat. So yes just ride along the straight line and you get what you want also if you have "Track Up' on your map just keep the Waypoint at top center.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #27
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Looks like from the video that GPS didn't do the rider any good.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
In the US with all riding restricted to designated routes except in very small "Open" areas this would be of very little value. Yes there are a few sand dune Open areas where riding bee-line to a way point is possible but in 99.99% of the country, you must follow roads and that is what Tracks or Routes do for you.

Almost all GPS units have "Find" "Go To" feature that gives you a straight line from where you are now to any waypoint which is basically what you think is so neat. So yes just ride along the straight line and you get what you want also if you have "Track Up' on your map just keep the Waypoint at top center.

Oh is that what I thought was "so neat"? Wow, amazing. Glad your old middle aged, BMW riding self is here to help me out on that.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Glad your old middle aged, BMW riding self is here to help me out on that.
Way beyond "Middle Age", but on 525 EXC. Could never afford a BMW, can't ride like Jimmy Lewis, so it would be useless to me.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post

This is why snowmobiles are awesome.