Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,245
This has been discussed a few times before,here is one of the threads I found while researching my sensible and thought provoking response (OK, I was looking for the pics of that 300 Rallye bike Sommer built).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Either your bike is dangerously lean or your idea of race pace and mine don't line up at all. I get about 20 out of my 200 during race. Jetted for max power clean plugs and no spooge.
Difference in riding styles, I'd guess. I've historcally gotten really good mileage out of my tanks.. I short shift a lot and carry momentum. I dont go WOT very often. I'm sure you probably ride that 200 more agressively than i ride my 300 :)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
NHESS81
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ok, so it can have race pace...but how practical is that pace on the 100-400 miles of DAILY transit stages bookending the daily race stages? Seems like it wouldn't make a 2T happy to drone on the highway for 5 hours a day....
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Sorry to hijack, but how do you avoid no spooge? I always thought even if jetted perfectly, the motor will not burn 100% of the 2T oil.

It won't burn all of it, but what it doesn't burn will stay in the engine / pipe versus running down the back of your silencer.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHESS81 View Post
Ok, so it can have race pace...but how practical is that pace on the 100-400 miles of DAILY transit stages bookending the daily race stages? Seems like it wouldn't make a 2T happy to drone on the highway for 5 hours a day....
Owned a Yamaha RD350 2T twin years ago. You could ride on the highway all day (is a roadbike). Quick as a 750/4 or more. You'd build a 2T Rally as a twin not a single and with air injection which is supposed to be frugal on fuel. I thought KTM were rumoured to be onto air injected 2Ts in R&D?
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,759
Honda ran a 400cc two stoke in the 1995 Dakar and it finished. Just google Honda EXP-2.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_EXP-2"[/URL]
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #22
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
This has been discussed a few times before,here is one of the threads I found while researching my sensible and thought provoking response (OK, I was looking for the pics of that 300 Rallye bike Sommer built).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #23
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,245
Yep that's the one thanks Rhys...

Now do you still have the pic of the blown apart engine with "Made in Japan" clearly visible on it that I can never find.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Yep that's the one thanks Rhys...

Now do you still have the pic of the blown apart engine with "Made in Japan" clearly visible on it that I can never find.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
What's the story behind that engine?

I suspect it's got something to do with the KTM Sommer bike....?
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
edtau
baaaaaaarp

Oddometer: 28
Slapped a roadbook, tripmaster and rear tank on the 300 and it will be doing the Tuareg in a week's time - Will let you all know about the "reliability" of the engine and whether or not it has a real advantage in dunes... Nothing more versatile than a bike that can do a week's worth of work in the desert and then pony up to an Erzberg or Romaniacs and still be suited to both events. Time will tell...

Laid-back Australian stranded in by-the-book Deutschland
edtau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
liquid cooling will make a 2t more versatile than air cooling.But they are less efficient on gas,but they do make more power than the equiv 4 t.Remeber when they opened up motogp to 4 strokes.The 2t were 500 and the 4 strokes were 990s!
2t rely on the fuel for some cooling,and the very nature of 2t means you always lose some of the fresh petrol charge out the exhaust port,so thats wasted .